Sandy TEAMS Vs Box Hill Sunday 21st June. 2 pm

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Disagree re Leigh Fisher. His time is up.
he's often been named in the best players this season. he's mature-bodied and consistent.

i wouldn't write him off just yet. who knows when we'll need a small defender/mid type who has played some useful football at the higher level.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

https://reg.sportingpulse.com/olr_v3/rp ... &pg=1&a=MR_

2009 TAC Cup

Sandringham Dragons 1.4 3.7 7.9 9.12 (66)
Murray Bushrangers 2.0 5.3 9.4 13.8 (86)

GOALS:
Sandringham Dragons: Tobin 2 Murphy 2 Morris Plostins Purton-Smith Lew Todd
Murray Bushrangers: Loraine 4 Klemke 3 Norris 2 Jacka 2 Priest Hicks

BEST:
Sandringham Dragons: Dermott Rawlinson Liston Murphy Thomas Sharp
Murray Bushrangers: Norris Hicks Myors Klemke Reid Atley

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Sandringham Dragons: Nil
Murray Bushrangers: Nil

2009 VFL Reserves

Box Hill Hawks 7.1 9.4 18.9 22.13 (145)
Sandringham 1.1 3.3 4.4 6.5 (41)

GOALS:
Box Hill Hawks: Conyers 6 Hoegel 5 Carey 3 Milne 2 Cross 2 Nye McGuinness Bull Fagan
Sandringham: Cahill Waller Johnson Johnston Tungatalum Gileno

BEST:
Box Hill Hawks: Nye George Cross McGuinness Conyers Cunningham
Sandringham: Howard Waller McGarry Johnston Williams Dean

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Box Hill Hawks: Nil
Sandringham: Nil

2009 VFL Seniors
Box Hill Hawks 5.3 9.5 17.7 19.10 (124)
Sandringham 5.2 9.3 12.5 15.7 (97)

GOALS:
Box Hill Hawks: Gibson 5 Pedersen 2 Whitecross 2 Smithwick 2 Yze 2 Shiels Kenna Cass Breust Kennedy Curnow
Sandringham: Lynch 3 Gallagher 2 Steven 2 Sautner 2 Gilchrist Gwilt Maguire Dempster Summers Clarke

BEST:
Box Hill Hawks: Kennedy Gibson Kiel Iles Pedersen McQueen-Miscamble
Sandringham: Lynch Clarke Steven Fisher Maguire Stanley

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Box Hill Hawks: Nil
Sandringham: Nil
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 21 Jun 2009 8:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Lynch may well be that 3rd forward option that we've been looking for all season...

I think most will agree that the 3rd, lead up, link forward is the one major weakness in our otherwise very strong line up this year...

As much as I like Gwilt, he has been given a good go in this possie, and never really made the spot his own.. Just didnt hit the scoreboard often enough.. He may still develop to the requird standard in time...

However, at the moment Lynch seems to be finding his feet well in the VFL...

By finals time he may be a great asset in this role... If not, 2010 seems like a certainty...

Lynch, Gwilt and by then, Allen all pushing for the same role is a great position for us to be in to compliment Roo and Kosi....

golden hawk
Club Player

got to chat to Zac i'm rapped i did he is such a nice guy he went to go into the hawk rooms [got plenty of friends there ] but not sure if he made it in or not , hope he did i am sure he would not be spying he would only want to chat to mates that he haw there :D

your friendly neighbourhood hawk
golden hawk
Club Player

On the Bench wrote:Box Hill 18 10
Sandringham 15 7

It's difficult to get the streaming feed.
When you open the stream click on the "Use Alternative Stream" rather than clicking on the play button - this worked for me
just found this on bigfooty now if ever you got to try and listen to this mob again try this first cause some of the hawks were having same problem

golden hawk
Club Player

Don't know if anyone else saw it when quite a plump, boisterous Box Hill supporter behind the goals, who has been at every home game for about the last ten years, told Matty Maguire that he'd never see a premiership...to which Maguire replied "You've never seen your toes"
this was posted on the hawk site on bigfooty

this person who is the plump guy is called Arthur and i bet he fired more stuff at Matty after that comment LOL
credit where it is due
that was a good come back Matty :lol: :lol:

Quixote
SS Life Member

FWIW:

I thought Dempster looked very polished and will only be a few weeks away, at most. Defended well, hard at it (big hit in the last, came up ginger but not as bad as the Hawks player) and set up a lot of play.

Steven was very good. Deceptively quick and incredibly tough.

Raph got heaps of the ball playing mainly flanks and midfield but what he did with it let him down at times. Again though, very hard at it.

Armo is a tank these days. Played well, roves well and extracts the pill from difficult tight spots. Kicking perhaps a touch off and still queries on aerobic capacity I feel. Still have hope though.

Leigh Fisher very good game. Plays like a guy who would fit right in in the seniors, should the need arise. Has a Ned Kelly beard.

Saw Zac at the ground - looked skinny!

Also saw John Barker and can I just reiterate thank god we got rid of that potato.

Stanley good - spent a fair amount of time on the bench, especially first half. ?

Tom Lynch is coming along really nicely. He's another aggressive unit who knows where the goals are but 2010 would be more his chance. Feel he's in a rapid development period but would benefit from it continuing at the lower level.

Thought Jimmy was OK - did a lot of smart things. I would have liked to see a touch more urgency from the great man, but still, at times he was at his instrumental best!!! Will be pushing for senior selection.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
golden hawk
Club Player

Quixote wrote: Saw Zac at the ground - looked skinny!

Also saw John Barker and can I just reiterate thank god we got rid of that potato.

Zac has always been skinny ??

Johnny is ok he is no potato ! that i know of

ace
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:FWIW:
I like potatoes and Spud.
What did potatoes ever do wrong to be compared to John Barker.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

I thought Dempster looked very polished and will only be a few weeks away, at most. Defended well, hard at it (big hit in the last, came up ginger but not as bad as the Hawks player) and set up a lot of play.

Raph got heaps of the ball playing mainly flanks and midfield but what he did with it let him down at times. Again though, very hard at it.

Armo is a tank these days. Played well, roves well and extracts the pill from difficult tight spots. Kicking perhaps a touch off and still queries on aerobic capacity I feel. Still have hope though.

Leigh Fisher very good game. Plays like a guy who would fit right in in the seniors, should the need arise. Has a Ned Kelly beard.

Stanley good - spent a fair amount of time on the bench, especially first half. ?

Tom Lynch is coming along really nicely. He's another aggressive unit who knows where the goals are but 2010 would be more his chance. Feel he's in a rapid development period but would benefit from it continuing at the lower level.

Thought Jimmy was OK - did a lot of smart things. I would have liked to see a touch more urgency from the great man, but still, at times he was at his instrumental best!!! Will be pushing for senior selection.

Sounds like St Kilda should drop 8 players from a winning team in favour of 8 players from a losing team.

I think the key to Lyon's coaching is that it is easy to get carried away with what a player does.
But more important is what he prevents his opponent from doing.

These guys opponents won. :shock:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Quixote
SS Life Member

ace wrote:

I guess it's in their genetic make up.

Solid, dependable and likeable - but completely uninspiring and lacking originality. If a kifler was to come up against a fresh bunch of broccolini, I'd take the greens anyday - if only for the fact that the spud may be too nice to want to win the duel.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
golden hawk
Club Player

ace wrote:
thats what i was thinking potatoes are good for you even if they don't always taste nice

Quixote
SS Life Member

ace wrote:

Sounds like St Kilda should drop 8 players from a winning team in favour of 8 players from a losing team.

I think the key to Lyon's coaching is that it is easy to get carried away with what a player does.
But more important is what he prevents his opponent from doing.

These guys opponents won. :shock:

OK champ in a nutshell. Trying to give a positive slant on what I saw (which was not all of the game, had distractions).

From the above I believe the only TWO I SUGGESTED would be in line for selection were GWILT and DEMPSTER. A DEFENDER who DEFENDED well and a 3rd forward, which we lack. Hardly big calls.

The players I did not mention at all did not make an impression on my viewing.

RAPH coughed it up like a lunger.

ARMO'S kicking was POOR whenever I saw it.

LYNCH is TOO YOUNG by a season.

STANLEY is a ways off - and the enthusiasm about him here is only JUST justified. Sure he's a great tap and quick, but jeez he AIN'T as agile as some would make out.

Steven was good - darn good.

Dempster will be playing and soon.

Gwilt should be in the senior team.

John Barker is one of the worst coaches in the AFL.

Is that last comment the one that upset you Ace-Man?

Oh and Leigh Fisher is a perfect backup VFL player for mine. He could step into the seniors, know his role, know the team structure and systems and perform accordingly. Played very much like a St Kilda player today.

Not sure why this is such a problem - Ace-Man.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Quixote for a detailed and insightful post. It is appreciated by those of us that could not attend.

I think most of us took it as you intended.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
maverick
Saintsational Legend

I took your post in the right way Quixote - thanks from me too.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

golden hawk wrote:
Don't know if anyone else saw it when quite a plump, boisterous Box Hill supporter behind the goals, who has been at every home game for about the last ten years, told Matty Maguire that he'd never see a premiership...to which Maguire replied "You've never seen your toes"
this was posted on the hawk site on bigfooty

this person who is the plump guy is called Arthur and i bet he fired more stuff at Matty after that comment LOL
credit where it is due
that was a good come back Matty :lol: :lol:
This guy was about 10-15 people around from us and the comments were made during the first quarter. There was a bit of by play between Matty and him. Every time Matty came anywhere near him, his mouth was going (and he was VERY loud).

Excellent comeback by Matty! :D

Fortius Quo Fidelius
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Stanley is going to be a star in a couple of years.
plugger66 I told you so ... and you ridiculed / questioned me when I said so very early this year ... which was based on mere video footage and observations at training.

I shall repeat ... Stanley will be one of our best players within 5 years.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
plugger66 I told you so ... and you ridiculed / questioned me when I said so very early this year ... which was based on mere video footage and observations at training.

Because video footage doesnt mean much and training means even less. We see that stuff all the time and it amounts to nothing. I have been on the Stanley bandwagon for 6-8 weeks now because I have actually seen what he can do in the flesh.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:

Because video footage doesnt mean much and training means even less. We see that stuff all the time and it amounts to nothing. I have been on the Stanley bandwagon for 6-8 weeks now because I have actually seen what he can do in the flesh.
It is a very large bandwagon now...I shall order extra carriages as it is getting quite crowded despite this.

I think anyone that has seen Dr Livongstone play is very excited about him.

Junior
Club Player

Saw the whole game and must say that Sandringhams kicking was a disgrace. The delivery to the forward line was terrible with long bombs to Sautner who was competing with two to three players on occassions.

My rap on our players would be as follows.

Leigh Fisher - Played an okay game, but I would think that his days as a regular senior player would be over. He lacks pace and kicking skills were a bit hit and miss, but at this level he can still find the ball.

Raph Clarke - Got a bit of the ball and tackled hard and was extremely hard at the contest. On the down side turned the ball over at least four times by foot and was very indecisive with the ball. Is a good kick when he kicks through the ball but was trying to chip kick of one step. Get the feeling that he plays better when surrounded by better players as many times he looked up and had to hesitate due to no forward structure.

Colm Begley- Was on and off of the bench with what looked like a broken nose. the thing I noticed about him was that he has no fear, went at the football like a madman on a number of occassions. For some one relatively new to our game his kicking skills were quite good. Needs to win more of the ball.

David Armitage - As mentioned in another post his kicking was off. He should be dominating at this level but only just seems to be going. Simply does not appear to have the aerobic capacity or the work ethic. Dissapointed with his game. A guy drafter around the same time Kennedy for Hawthorn was in a different class on the day which is worrying.

Nick Heyne - Had a puple patch in the third quarter with some important possesions. Prefer him up the ground rather than up foprward as he moves well and kicked well most of the time. He is a clever player but needs to win more of the footy.

Sean Dempster - The highlight of the day. Moved well, kicked well and had a couple of big hits and was able to keep going. On that performance I would expect him to break into the seniors sooner rather than later.

Rhys Stanley- Injured a leg early in the game and was rotating on and off the ground. Did not get a heap of the ball but what he does have is a good leap, pace and agility. Took a couple of good grabs in the contest, but he is still raw. Certainly has the tools to work with, and it would appear the attitude to suceed.

Tom Lynch - Tried his guts out in a difficult game with Box Hill having a heap of players behind the ball. Is a work horse will never be a silky skilled matchwinner in my opinion, but he will be some one who can be relied upon to be competitive. 3 goals and 17 possessions without looking like he was starring, would settle for that everyweek.

Matt Maquire - Hurt his leg in the first half, but came back on after about a five minute spell. Played hard but he is too slow to go with a forward on the lead. He is capable of domianting when a team bangs it in long, but the reality is that most teams no longer play like this. Looked a lot better up forward. On what I saw he would be way too slow for AFL level as a defender, only hope appears to re invent himself as a forward. Turned the ball over a few teams in defence as well. Hope he can make it back but I feel it might be a struggle to cement a place in the team.

James Gwilt- Was quiet in the first half and then played the second half like he was senior level this year. Led up well and took some amrks and is a nice kick but never threatens to break the game open and has no intensity.

Jack Steven- Clearly our best player. He is fast, agressive and wins the football. His tackling was bone jarring and he has excellent acceleration. Woul love to see him play at senior level with better players around him. Only issue is that sometimes he may need to slow down before disposing of the football.

Alaistair Smith - Looks a likely type, has rweal game breaking pace and won a bit of the ball, but like most of out midfielders was riotated on and off. I was very impressed with him.

Luke Miles- Dissapointing game, bad foot skills and did not provide much run at all.

Tom SImpkin - Did bits and pieces and has a good strong build for an 18 year old. Worth perservering with.

Overall I would not expect any change on what I saw yesterday, Jack Steven would be the only one deserving of a game on yesterdays form.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Thanks for the summary Junior, and Quixote - great for those who couldn't make it :shock:

Good to read Steven and Dempster are doing so well....

Hold your ground :shock:
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I second that. Thanks a lot, guys. Something like this each week would be fantastic, for those of us who don't get there. We seem to have a lot of guys showing real promise in the VFL and reserves, which augers well for our future.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bergsone
SS Life Member

Good reports thanks

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The good thing about Steven is that he was taken bottom age last year...so in some way this is his first year in comparing him to most draftees.

Interesting to note that two of our better younger players this year have been our two young youngest players in Lynch and Stanley.

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Junior and Quixote - hats off to you guys for quality reportage. Succinct, level headed and seemingly unbiased with a good football knowledge. Great work.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet