It's more than a game...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

It's more than a game...

First of all let me preface this post by saying a few things: bear with me, this post is long and boring and seems to have nothing to do with football but there's an important point I need to make which casts a perspective on things and that point has a lot to do with not just football, but St Kilda in general.

I love football. It's wonderful to watch. It's an exciting game and even if my team isn't playing, even if it's not particularly the msot exciting match - I love to watch two teams playing football - at the ground, on the TV, wherever!

My fiancee however does not. She despises the game. It's probably her most hated thing in the world and the reason for this has nothing to with the game itself but with the fact that she probably thinks its the most important thing in the world. It also doesn't help that thus far, this has been the year from hell for her too. I won't go into any detail, so as to respect her privacy but suffice to say, it's been shithouse for her and I have hardly been there to support her. And why - because of football and my unbelievably selfish and ridiculously over-the-top love for the game.

A lot of times this year, I've put football, in particular St Kilda games before our wedding this year. I promised her I wouldn't buy a St Kilda membership because we needed the money for our wedding. I not only then bought one, I upgraded to Social Club! :shock: And when things to do with ther wedding come up, my first thought and usually out loud to her is: "Does it clash with a St Kilda game" - and this is just the meaningless home and away crap - how the hell am I gonna be in Spetember when it reallyy matters and I'm getting married in a month?!

The thing is, we all joke about football being the most important thing and nothing would mean more to us then winning the flag, but you know what - that's just white line fever talking there. I should know, I'm addicted to that. I can talk like this now, because I won't be having any contact with footy until next Sunday - I bet by then, i won't even have this post in my head.

Because I've come to realise lately that if St Kilda wins the flag this year, it will be fantastic and I will be deliriously happy, but it WON'T be the most important thing to happen this year. Or even in my whole life. Because, I'm only twenty-five. There's more to life than footy, there genuinely is.
I'm getting married in October - above everything that should be the msot important thing to happen in my life - let alone this year!

I've been a supporter of this club for almost twenty years but what have I been through? The ever so tough 2000-2002 period where we played like utter crap and got belted every week. And sure, this happened during my twilight high school years but if that's the worst a St Kilda suppporter has had to suffer considering horrible periods like 1979-1988 and anyone born in the late 60's or early 70's who has witnessed thirty or more years of medicority with nothing to show for it except a DVD release :oops:, well I think I can say, I've had it pretty freaking easy.

Yer, football means a lot to me and I love it and all, but I'm smart enough to have perspective on everything and understand just what it really means in the grand scheme of things. I mean, let's break it down - it's fifty thousand feral bogans wearing colourful scarves and beanies, screaming at 44 blokes dressed in ski jumpers chasing a leather ball around.

My question is this though: Do I take football too seriously? Are we in fact all a little guilty of doing this? Of losing the perspective on real life. We all want to see a premiership and some of us are running out of time but for those of us who have lots of time left to worry about this, what's the deal, seriously? Is it really the be all and end all? All this emotion and hope and expectation for what - maybe a week, maybe four weeks of delirium and self-satisfaction.

The other thing is, I don't think there's anything in the world my fiancee loves as much as I love footy - am I a genuinely horrible person for this? I'd like to think Im not, but perhaps I'm the one losing perspective. I wish there was a way to show her how much the game meant to me and at the same time, how in ther grand scheme of things - when i'm level headed, how little it means to me in comparison to every other aspect of my ife.

I implore everyone, no matter how long you've waited for this to put it all into persepctive. Enjoy football, but don't lose perspective on life. Don't make the same mistake I have done and will probably in spite of this post continue to do, because one thing is for certain, even if we do win the flag this year and I am there on GF day to see it - it won't by a long shot be the most important and wonderful thing to happen this year. October 17th, 2009 will be the greatest single day of my life regardless of what else happens this year - anything else is just a bonus. :D

Having said all that, geez, I hope we win the premiership this year!

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

1) I love you
2) You are my hero
3) You do not take footy too seriously
4) xoxoxoxoxo

The Saints are coming!
markinUSA
SS Life Member

You're absolutely right... it's a hobby, it's even an obsession...

but it's not life and death (something we learn when someone dies).

And we don't even play!

Sometimes we do need perspective.

On the other hand.... I can't wait for the Geelong game!

(People are full of contradictions!)

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

you really need to read:

Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby

different game, same sentiment, great book.

SaintDebi
Club Player

One Eyed Sainter, I was going to suggest that the best way to let your fiance know how you feel would be to show her your post where you so eloquently put your feelings into words, but either True Blue Sainter is her, or she now has competition!

You are right, footy is only a game but it is really hard not to get swept away this year especially on the tide of our exciting football.

I celebrated 25 years of happy marriage earlier this year, and I'm lucky that my hubby and two daughters are Saints supporters too.
I'm not trying to give advice here because your clear thinking post shows that you are doing fine and obviously don't need it, but I just want to point out that one thing that helps to make a successful marriage is to have an interst outside of just each other. There are a lot of worse things this other interest could be than your love of football.

I wish you and your fiance a wonderful day in October, and I hope you're as blessed in your marriage as I have been in mine.

Of course there we've had struggles and you will too, but you are abviously in love and if you hold on to that all will be good!

Go Saints!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

the birth of your child is occurring.....on the same day we are in the grand final, she goes into labor around midday.

what do u do?
:? :P

good luck in october mate.
just remember to talk, thats the key, talk and have no secrets.
i wish you all the best.

...and never put football b4 your wife
otherwise your life will be hell

SaintDebi
Club Player

Maybe he gambles on the fact that first labours are usually longer than a few hours (word of warning, mine wasn't!).
Carefully word it that he thinks it would be wrong not to let his partner share some of this special time with her mum, hope in her anxious state that she's forgotten its Grand Final day, and promise to be back in time for the delivery!
Next best, make sure there's a telly in the delivery suite!

santazzi
Club Player

Geez you had me worried for a while..... am I glad your wedding is in October....a month early or a month late it could have clashed with the the GF or the draft...........

Seriously though so what if you have a passion for footy and you spend a few hours and few dollars on it .....do not applogise ....the key is this:

1. There hours and hours in the week when the saints are not playing....do you allocate some quality hours for your loved ones if not do it now!!!!!

2. Do you save on items other than saints membership to contribute to the wedding as you promised....ofcourse you are. Acouple of less stubbies a week will go a long way..........

End of Sunday Sermon.....................!!!!!!

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:the birth of your child is occurring.....on the same day we are in the grand final, she goes into labor around midday.

what do u do?

good luck in october mate.
just remember to talk, thats the key, talk and have no secrets.
i wish you all the best.

...and never put football b4 your wife
otherwise your life will be hell
Ummmm - dilemna mate - your 11th wedding anniversary is on September 26th - first year since you were married that Grand Final has fallen on the same date as it was 11 years ago. Your wife is a Carlton supporter and you and your son [Sainter_Boy] (who attends all Anniversary functions) are both Social Club members. SHe has said it is okay to attend - what do you do????

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

video tape her saying it is ok to go in front of witnesses.......
make a copy, and rent a safety deposit box.
:D

and then spend lavish amounts of money and show copious amounts of attention to your wife until the day you die 8-)

bigred
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:the birth of your child is occurring.....on the same day we are in the grand final, she goes into labor around midday.

what do u do?

decide whether to drive to the game or catch the train....

My wife would understand :P

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
claystreet
Club Player

I married into a family of passionate Saints so no loves lost here. Shes the ones needs to pull her head in sometimes... Bangas last game i never seen the wife that emotional before. :lol:

Good luck with your future
:wink:

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Re: It's more than a game...

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:

I implore everyone, no matter how long you've waited for this to put it all into persepctive. Enjoy football, but don't lose perspective on life. Don't make the same mistake I have done and will probably in spite of this post continue to do, because one thing is for certain, even if we do win the flag this year and I am there on GF day to see it - it won't by a long shot be the most important and wonderful thing to happen this year. October 17th, 2009 will be the greatest single day of my life regardless of what else happens this year - anything else is just a bonus. :D

Getting married on rooey's birthday coincidence?

Go saints in '09!
howlinwolf
Club Player

A successfull marriage invovles each accepting what the others interests are.
It is a recipe for trouble for either to try to change interests in the other.

Both parties need to be aware their interests could be annoying and these
interests need to be persued with that in mind.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Was looking for this thread for ages - thanks everyone for the kind words and support.

I guess my whole long winded post's point was just to enjoy the game but don't take it too seriously.

I think that advice is wasted on St Kilda supporters - Lord knows we have been through enough crap the last three or four decades. We're entitlted to feel a little edgy and if you like decvelop some type of sarcastic, bitter personality.

Anywaym, whatever does happen for the rest of the year, I'll be there to support the saints. And I can't wait for tomorrow. It may be just a game but it's still enormous.

MarkinUSA was right, footy is full of contradictions...

Funny that. :D

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

My girlfriend comes from QLD and has zero interest in footy. But she understands that I do, and understands the passino involved.

Says I should be thankfull I have something I am so passionate about.

Dont worry, there are plenty of things we but heads over, she aint that great :D

She also swears that footy should be only two quarters in duration, and thinks if she went to a game she would need a book to read. I told her, nah, just stay home.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Re: It's more than a game...

i_luv_nick_riewoldt wrote:
OneEyedSainter77 wrote:

Getting married on rooey's birthday coincidence?
Really, that's awesome!

I didn't know that. I decided earlier this year that Riewoldt is my new favourite player now Harvey is gone. the bloke bleeds red, white and black and loves this club almost as much as I do (lol).

But yer, that's a total coincidence. :lol:

StSteven
Club Player

Whatever you do, do a deal with your wife. She can choose the kids religion, you chose their footy team.

If you don't life will be hell sitting watching another team play week in, week out.

PS more people change partners than they change football teams.....just remember that.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

You're right.
Football is not a matter of life and death.
It's far more serious than that.