Milne is VERY underrated!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsareprettygoodhey
Club Player

Milne is VERY underrated!

Just watched AFL teams on the IQ... they pitched our forwards against Geelong's back and gave them ratings out of 5. They got most of the match-ups right IMO, except for one blaring, almost offensive mistake; Milney. He was rated 3.5. In comparison, Riedwolt(I'll admit I don't know how to spell his name) was rated 5, JK rated 4.5 and Gwilt was rated 3.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Gwilt in the side. But to rate Milney in the same category as him is ridiculous at best.

I'm not sure of the specifics, but Milney has either slightly less or slightly more goals than big Rooey!

Fair dinkum

/rant

EDIT: Luke Ball also ranked 3.5 :evil:

James
Club Player

Re: Milne is VERY underrated!

saintsareprettygoodhey wrote:Luke Ball also ranked 3.5 :evil:
:roll:

Let us come in under the radar with that one. Our other four superstars (Hayes, Goddard, Montagna, Dal Santo) wouldn't be playing half as well without him in the side.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Milne is VERY underrated!

James wrote:
saintsareprettygoodhey wrote:Luke Ball also ranked 3.5 :evil:
:roll:

Let us come in under the radar with that one. Our other four superstars (Hayes, Goddard, Montagna, Dal Santo) wouldn't be playing half as well without him in the side.
Mentioned about Luke getting a 3.5 elsewhere, can you believe it?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

The 'Teams' crew, like everyone else, are ignoring form and tipping/rating on history.

Thought Malthouse had it right in this morning's Oz... Our form has been ridiculously steady because our game plan is simple and easy to repeat.

Cats have been flirting with form.

I think the Cats are about to get a rude shock.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:The 'Teams' crew, like everyone else, are ignoring form and tipping/rating on history.

Thought Malthouse had it right in this morning's Oz... Our form has been ridiculously steady because our game plan is simple and easy to repeat.

Cats have been flirting with form.

I think the Cats are about to get a rude shock.
you and me both mate... :wink: :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
aussiejones
Club Player

Milney would just laugh at the rating ...hope he slips their guard but doubt that Thompson has him at a 3.5 !!

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Didn't see the show, so I'm a bit lacking in context, but 3.5 out of 5 is like 7 out of 10, so it's no slouch by any means...

If you consider with both Milne both what they do and what they don't do, there are things they do spectacularly well, but they're both deployed essentially as role players.

Milne - great offensively, nose for the goals. Defensively, he gets a pass, due to improved tackling and effort, but he's certainly not up with a McQualter in this regard, where I'd want him to be giving him 4+/5, jsut not complete enough.

Ball - Fanstastic grunt worker, hard man, ball winner, fierce tackler. Not a key component of the running game, poor distribution from uncontested situations and poor disposal.

Out of curiosity, how did they score Jason Gram, Andrew McQualter, Jarryn Geary and Adam Schneider?

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Couldn't agree more with the "underrated" tag for Milne. He's been playing one of the toughest positions on the field for nigh on a decade now, and has been incredibly consistent. He has averaged two goals per game for around 170 odd games (someone will correct me on the actual total). That's almost identical to Riewoldt's output (for goals at least) over roughly the same number of games. Game high of 11, several bags of 7 and 8. When have any of the other small forwards in the game racked up figures to match those?

Now that he's added a defensive side to his game, I believe he has every right to claim the title of best all round small forward in the game over the past 5 years. Compare his figures with those of Betts, Davis, Medhurst (surely the least deserved and worst ever All Australian selection), Farmer etc. Milney's figures are better than all of them. He's an under appreciated gem. Long may the media and opposition ignore his feats. He'll continue to hurt them where it counts. On the scoreboard!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
TassieJones
Club Player

this is out of 5 right? 3.5 seems pretty spot on to me then. Ball and Milne both aren't having the best seasons, 7/10 seems fair.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

TassieJones wrote:this is out of 5 right? 3.5 seems pretty spot on to me then. Ball and Milne both aren't having the best seasons, 7/10 seems fair.
It wouldn't be so bad, but in comparison to some Geelong players....what would you rate a Taylor, or a Mackie?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

lately he also has been having stints in the midfiled as part of rotations, which is why i believe he has not added to his goal tally in the past 2 games.