the Saints- By N Burke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the Saints- By N Burke

The great Robert Harvey may have retired a year too soon, but his midfield is in great hands.

POOR Robert Harvey. He toils away with the Saints for 20-odd seasons without tasting the ultimate glory and look what happens when he steps away!
The Saints have 12 on the trot and have finally put themselves in great position for a tilt at the flag. You’d think he’d be kicking himself for giving it away one season too soon.
But how does the man himself feel about this?
He is absolutely fine, as you would be hard pressed to meet a more pragmatic man than R Harvey.
The year after I retired, the Saints went on to win 10 in a row, then lose a prelim by six points.
Was I bitter about missing out? No. The fact is, like Robert, I had my shot and wasn’t good enough.
It’s this group’s turn now and if they do go all the way Robert will be as excited as anyone.
Even if he is wearing Carlton colours at the moment, he knows deep down that he has had an enormous influence on the players who now drive the club, and that should fill him with great pride.
Particularly the midfield players like Hayes, Ball, Montagna, Dal Santo and Goddard. Each of these guys can, and I’m sure do, think themselves extremely lucky to have spent their formative years under his influence.
Each of the new generation of Saints took a different path to where they are now.
Some came in as prized early draft picks, others have toiled through harder times and had to fight for recognition. They have all finally reached elite status in this game and it’s worth looking back on how they got here.
Lenny Hayes arrived as fresh-faced kid from New South Wales.
He wouldn’t say boo to a goose for the first year but despite this you could tell he had leadership qualities.
Lenny is blessed with an innate ability to push himself and to prioritise what’s important.
You could tell he played rugby as a kid because his tackling skills were well honed and his sidestep extraordinary.
We had to teach him not to pretend to throw the ball when dummying but occasionally you still see the feigned throw used to good effect.
I would undoubtedly have Lenny in my “best Saints I played withâ€

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Solar
Saintsational Legend

love you burkie

great insight on all those boys and harvey did leave a mark with the current midfield..

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
FullMonty
Club Player

Good article,

Remember, we need to thank Harves, Bukey and Loewe for re-signing and getting the young group to committ to the side and build this culture that we have today.
GT needs to be thanked for it too.

Now RL, Tudor and co are working with a committed group of tanacious people working as a team. Something not experienced much ast the StKFC. Exciting times still ahead for this year and a few more.

Montyrules!
SaintAndrew
Club Player

That was a great read. Thanks for posting saintbrat.

derby Street
Club Player

Thanks Brat - enjoyed that read immensely.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone else think that this is a subtle way of Harvey letting us know he is still one of us, IMO there is no doubt that Burke would have ran it over with the Great man so everything written must have gotten his seal of approval...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

If there is any such thing as a downside to a premiership, it would be that the great man will miss out. Tragic.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Schillaci
Club Player

Good read. Good thread.
Burke, Harvey, Hayes, Ball, Monty, Dal, Goddard...all great saints...no wonder I support them.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:If there is any such thing as a downside to a premiership, it would be that the great man will miss out. Tragic.
Two great men :x ..put Burkey up there with Harvs..were the 2 I was most upset about in 97 :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
mick13
Club Player

saint patrick wrote:
White Winmar wrote:If there is any such thing as a downside to a premiership, it would be that the great man will miss out. Tragic.
Two great men :x ..put Burkey up there with Harvs..were the 2 I was most upset about in 97 :roll:
Dont forget to add Stewie. :(

If we have to add Max to the list of those Saints to miss out on a flag...I'd be contemplating suicide. :(