Raph Clarke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Schillaci
Club Player

Raph did his job. No mistakes. A good defender's game. Will get better with more games under his belt. He is a confidence player who can break the lines. I'm still a Raph fan.

your momma
Club Player

Yehh...No.
I panic when Raph is in possesion of the ball.
Raph panics aswell..

A fitting replacement for Max?? I think not.
Why not Jimmy??

"Im never satisfied...its a curse"
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Raph was good? Especially in the last quarter when he turned the ball over twice with his trademark lack of decisiveness and let them back into the game when we had it iced. To all the Raph lovers on here, you're almost as offensive as the Raph-haters. Based on all the evidence of 6 seasons of waiting for him to deliver on his so-called "potential", IMO there is no way he's in our best 22. Especially when the heat is on, as it will be in September. To those who reckon he was good tonight-Please explain!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Raph was good? Especially in the last quarter when he turned the ball over twice with his trademark lack of decisiveness and let them back into the game when we had it iced. To all the Raph lovers on here, you're almost as offensive as the Raph-haters. Based on all the evidence of 6 seasons of waiting for him to deliver on his so-called "potential", IMO there is no way he's in our best 22. Especially when the heat is on, as it will be in September. To those who reckon he was good tonight-Please explain!
He was fair but he does make a lot of errors. I am not sure Max is the replacement for him though. I think he will play until Depster is ready for senior footy and then Raph may be in trouble.

donthglfa
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Too nervous......Raph has lost confidence....not wanting to take possesion in the last quarter (Rooke goal) is a sign that he is worried about making errors......and the fact he had 1 kick over 15m....he nurses every possesion and takes the safest option...

He was not disgraceful......not good either..

I agree 100 % thought he was far from good

SaintDebi
Club Player

Today wasn't his worst game, but unfortunately thats not a good thing.
I love his effort and that he tries, but I don't think he's in our best 22, sorry.
Its not just his own indicisiveness and turn overs, but many times his hesitant and/or unpredictable passes puts our other guys under pressure.
However if he's on the ground in the red, white and black he has my support and I'm cheering him on.

Legendary
Club Player

His confidence is shot to bits. Had plenty of opportunities to take the game on, but just hesitated and didn't attack when he could have ... was a passable performance but will need to do more to keep his place.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who thought Raph was ordinary today didnt see Gwilts game for Sandy yesterday...THAT was ordinary.

Jaysus...do some people take notes every time Raph makes an error so they can recall it in full on here afterwards? Hells bells just as well it was dal and not Raph who ran into that open goal and missedl with 2 mins to go, someone would hve jumped the fence and lynched him :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

There were a few worse than Raph today.

The fact we won with a handful of players down says a lot for the team effort.

We and Raph are on the right track.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintly_safes
Club Player

Thought he tried very hard but was hesitant even unsure of what to do when he had time to make a clear cut decision.Imo was servicable without having much impact on the game

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

All those who preferred Gwilt to Raph for this match. believe me Raph was the more effective. Jimmy was very ordinary yesterday, even for VFL standard.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I'm a Raph critic, but I thought he was ok for us tonight. Did his job and keeps his place.

If he can't cement his spot next week against West Coast on the wide open spaces of Subi he never will,but from tonights effort I was happy with his job

Bring back the Lockett era
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I was impressed with Raph today - solid effort. I don't expect him to set the world on fire, ESPECIALLY against Geelong - but he stood up today brillaintly. One passage today I remember in particular was the last quarter, he dropped the simplest of marks and there was no way he would've been able to go back and get the ball, so rather than try and do something he KNEW he couldn't, he tapped it to the advantage of a St Kilda player (forget who) and set up a forward thrust at a CRITICAL time.

Things like that show he does have a bit of a footy brain. he wasn't terrific today, but he wasn't terrible, he wasn't even ordinary, if we were grading performances today, he gets a pass.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Raph was Ok today. Not great but held up very well and played a fair game.

Was a bit out of position a couple of times in marking contests and need to learn to stay down a bit more when we alreay have two contesting but generally his skills were good and worked hard without the ball.

Must have been difficult coming back into seniors and straight into that atmosphere after a few weeks in the twos.

Still he plays well in big games and today he was OK.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Raph's best game for the year.

But that was mainly as his others were not good.

In the main he was ok today....but at times was hesitant...and made some ordinary decisions. No one is perfecr...but he had more than his fair share.

However I would expect Lyon will show faith in him to try and build his confidence to try and get him back to his 08 finals form.

I therefore am expecting that he will be retained for the wide open spaces that will await us out West where run is important and that Max will have another weeks rest.

However Raph will need to lift...for make so mistake Dempster will soon be snapping at his heels for his place.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Is it true Dempster has had to BOG's in tw oweeks in the magoo's?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I've been a Raphael believer, or rather hoper, for a long time. BUT, my hunch is that we will see Sean Dempster in sooner rather than later. Today's game did not seem to cement Raphael's spot in the team [OPINION].

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I would expect Lyon will show faith in him to try and build his confidence to try and get him back to his 08 finals form.
well we're looking for a third tallish forward who can compete at ground level aren't we?

i'd like to see him given a few weeks in that role where i think he could be a dangerous linkman and snag a few goals.

a classy and creative player when he's up and running.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Raph was Ok today. Not great but held up very well and played a fair game.

Was a bit out of position a couple of times in marking contests and need to learn to stay down a bit more when we alreay have two contesting but generally his skills were good and worked hard without the ball.

Must have been difficult coming back into seniors and straight into that atmosphere after a few weeks in the twos.

Still he plays well in big games and today he was OK.
crikey! i agree with the lot

saintly
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Is it true Dempster has had to BOG's in tw oweeks in the magoo's?
yes. Dempster played well

Leo.J
SS Life Member

We need Raph to be good, but imo he is not up to it yet when under pressure.

He needs to be mentally stronger, and the only way for that aspect of his game to improve is plenty of game time in pressure situations.

Geelong yesterday were leaving him on his own hoping he would get it because they know he's a weak link when under pressure...Other clubs will do it when he's in also, so he'll get a chance to improve his skills under pressure.

If he can we'll be a better side as a result of it.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

claystreet wrote:Gram is a pussy around the packs

end of story
He doesnt throw himself in at every pack thats true.

BUT its not Jason Grams game to get "in and under" he is a runner pure and simple.

He doesnt throw himself in at the ball like a McQualter, Baker or Ball because its not his role to do so. He runs hard, breaks the lines and roosts the ball inside 50.

WE have "tanks" like Jones and Lenny Hayes and we have "sports cars" like Gram. Mabey if you understood more about his role in the side you wouldnt be so quick to bag him

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

oh so grams our whipping boy now?
Blake's going well.
raph is going ok,

DWOODROW
Club Player

Raph was crap. No where near what the other players were. His skill with the football is VFL standard. That is about it.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Raph was good? Especially in the last quarter when he turned the ball over twice with his trademark lack of decisiveness and let them back into the game when we had it iced. To all the Raph lovers on here, you're almost as offensive as the Raph-haters. Based on all the evidence of 6 seasons of waiting for him to deliver on his so-called "potential", IMO there is no way he's in our best 22. Especially when the heat is on, as it will be in September. To those who reckon he was good tonight-Please explain!
Hmmm I just watched the last quarter and didnt see him turn it over once..saw a couple of crucial moments deep in defence when he had posession and fired out quick handpasses that hit targets each time though

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor