cats whinge about umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

I thought this thread was going to be a whinge about how much having the 'run of the green' with the umpires had cost - as they say you have to pay three umprires nowdays, not like the way they crucified us years ago only paying one! :wink:

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The umpiring was a concern during the game - but I think the real whinge is ultimately from the media and their idea that the Cats were robbed.

i.e. we were unworthy winners and the umpiring favoured us..

Have the media heard of free kick stats ?
Last edited by samoht on Mon 06 Jul 2009 4:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:FREE KICKS INSIDE 50

GEELONG : 5
ST.KILDA : 0

50 METRE PENALTIES

GEELONG : 3

SCORES FROM FREES OR 50 MTR PENALTIES

GEELONG : 7
I haven't read all posts so I suspect I'm covering old ground, but these stats confirm what felt... They got a seriously good ride. In fact I thought they had the rub of it all day. Many of their goals were based on luck rather than strategy. For me this was one of the most satisfying aspects. We were superior. They were lucky to be as close as they were.

Let them whinge.

Shades
Club Player

jk23 wrote:Why don't they complain about the free against Milne, I cannot work out why it was given to the cats?????
I watched the replay when i got home and the ump said that milne pulled the cats player down.

Im happy we beat the best team in the afl and the umps

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:FREE KICKS INSIDE 50

GEELONG : 5

50 METRE PENALTIES

GEELONG : 3

SCORES FROM FREES OR 50 MTR PENALTIES

GEELONG : 7
Yes it's easy to see now that the media and Scarlett were justified to feel that the Cats were a bit unlucky with the umpiring!

This was down on their normal ratio!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I'm watching the replay again and in the third quarter I just saw Lenny pinged for holding the ball when he actually picked it up from outside the boundary line and was just standing there waiting for a boundary umpire.

I then saw Blake pinged for shepherding Hawkins in a marking contest a minute or so later, which even the commentators couldn't see either live or on replay.

I don't suppose the puss fans are raising either of those 2 decisions?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I'm watching the replay again and in the third quarter I just saw Lenny pinged for holding the ball when he actually picked it up from outside the boundary line and was just standing there waiting for a boundary umpire.

I then saw Blake pinged for shepherding Hawkins in a marking contest a minute or so later, which even the commentators couldn't see either live or on replay.

What about the one where Ball nearly pulls Blakes head off 25 metres out from the geelong goal in qtr 3 and the Pussies dotn get a free kick? You hear the umpire say - sorry boys too many bodies, couldn't see it.

Both team had frees missed or given.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I'm watching the replay again and in the third quarter I just saw Lenny pinged for holding the ball when he actually picked it up from outside the boundary line and was just standing there waiting for a boundary umpire.

What about the one where Ball nearly pulls Blakes head off 25 metres out from the geelong goal in qtr 3 and the Pussies dotn get a free kick? You hear the umpire say - sorry boys too many bodies, couldn't see it.

I'll take your Ball on Blake and raise it with the Kosi hold in the last qtr 15 metres out - Cometti calls it - 'Surely Kosi was held there?'

The fact is Joffa, we see the game from our perspective and therefore we are biased.

BUT nobody, Plugger, Gieschen, Dimwit or Pussy fans, is going to convince me that we had the 'rub of the green' yesterday and that Geelong was unlucky to lose because of an umpiring decision.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

I'll take your Ball on Blake and raise it with the Kosi hold in the last qtr 15 metres out - Cometti calls it - 'Surely Kosi was held there?'

The fact is Joffa, we see the game from our perspective and therefore we are biased.

BUT nobody, Plugger, Gieschen, Dimwit or Pussy fans, is going to convince me that we had the 'rub of the green' yesterday and that Geelong was unlucky to lose because of an umpiring decision.
If you mean me being Plugger i will not be trying to convince you that Geelong were unlucky yesterday because I dont beleive they were. I think all JB is trying to say is it goes both ways and some weeks you get a good deal and some you dont.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Plugger,
What is frustrating is whn you see obvious free kicks not paid, and then some nonsense tiggy-touchwood technical crapola decision made that bears absolutely no relationship to the way the umpires have been umpiring the game.

Why do Geelong's midfielders get so much leeway to get rid of teh footy when they're tackled?
Some other individuals get similar lattitude (Judd) but no other team soes.
And it's not just from our game. It's been going on for ages.

Why doeas it appear that there is one rule for the rest of the Competition and another for them?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Plugger,
What is frustrating is whn you see obvious free kicks not paid, and then some nonsense tiggy-touchwood technical crapola decision made that bears absolutely no relationship to the way the umpires have been umpiring the game.

Why do Geelong's midfielders get so much leeway to get rid of teh footy when they're tackled?
Some other individuals get similar lattitude (Judd) but no other team soes.
And it's not just from our game. It's been going on for ages.

Why doeas it appear that there is one rule for the rest of the Competition and another for them?
I have watched the replay twice now and have seen some ordinary decisions but didnt notice any that should have definitely been holding the ball against Geelong. Lenny got a pretty good call at a vital stage yesterday for holding the ball. IMO its all swings and roundabouts.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I have watched the replay twice now and have seen some ordinary decisions but didnt notice any that should have definitely been holding the ball against Geelong. Lenny got a pretty good call at a vital stage yesterday for holding the ball. IMO its all swings and roundabouts.
Exactly. Chips was also lucky to get away with HTB inside the last two minutes. Swings and roundabouts.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

well said......plus about 35000 pple at the dome yesterday agree with you.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Exactly. Chips was also lucky to get away with HTB inside the last two minutes. Swings and roundabouts.
God forbid we should lose a grand final on a dodgy decission - will you still say 'swings and roundabouts'?
That's un-St Kilda!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
st.byron wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
God forbid we should lose a grand final on a dodgy decission - will you still say 'swings and roundabouts'?
That's un-St Kilda!!!
I agree it would be tragic but what can you do about it before it happens. We( the club) can control the players in how they train and play but nothing we (us) say about the umpiring will matter on the day. Hopefully if we get there we have the best umpires so we should get a good day of umpiring. Having seen a lot of GF i can hardly ever remember to many badly umpired GF. Matter of fact the 4 or 5 have been outstanding.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
st.byron wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
That's un-St Kilda!!!
I agree it would be tragic but what can you do about it before it happens. We( the club) can control the players in how they train and play but nothing we (us) say about the umpiring will matter on the day. Hopefully if we get there we have the best umpires so we should get a good day of umpiring. Having seen a lot of GF i can hardly ever remember to many badly umpired GF. Matter of fact the 4 or 5 have been outstanding.
So would you rather be proactive or reactive?

If you feel that there were bad decisions should you raise the issue?

Or so you just accept them as 'bad luck' and wait until you absolutely get screwed and it's all too late?

Whispers in the Sky

The PA game when Geischen admitted afterward there were 4000 mistakes and they were all paid against us.

The problem is you cannot raise 'mistakes' dusring the game becasue the 'precious little umpires' will ping you for 'dissent'.
SO what can you do about it, other than accept 'swings and roundabouts' and hope to God the Umpires don't have a shitty day when you have them?

This is a professional sport and we have the arbiters of the game unable to be criticized or even spoken to during a game.

IMO that is ridiculous. (and I'm not talking about the players abusing them)

As I understand it, no player is allowed to question an umpire about a decision. You just have to cop the decisions (no matter how good or bad) and say nothing.

If a player is making mistakes and having a bad day, his coach can remove him and limit the damage.
Not so with the umpires - the advisor at the game in charge of them probably just pats them on the head at the breaks.

We have all sorts of statistics for the players including effective disposals.
Maybe we should ask Champion Data to track effective and missed decisions?

Even the figures that the Umpires Dept track and don't divulge for fear of showing up how poor some of the displays were (If the figures were good you can be sure they'd announce them!) would be better than the treatment they offer the Public now. Treat us all like cabbages - we're not entitled to know how many mistakes are made.

AFL Umpires are paid good money to umpire - why can't they be placed under scrutiny by the public?
Afterall the stock standard response from their officials is that 'players make mistakes too' and yet it's ok to criticize players publicly for their mistakes.

Why not the 'protected species'?

end rant/

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
That's un-St Kilda!!!
Name a time when a GF has been won or lost on a dodgy decision? In fact, name me any game?
People expend so much energy blaming the umpires through their one eyed view.
Like Bomber Thompson said about the umpires, "They probably missed a lot of free kicks and players don't have perfect games, coaches don't and neither do umpires. I don't think as a club we're that worried about complaining about the umpires."

I used to umpire after I stopped playing and no matter how much people whinged I never changed a decision because of it.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
That's un-St Kilda!!!
Name a time when a GF has been won or lost on a dodgy decision? In fact, name me any game?
People expend so much energy blaming the umpires through their one eyed view.
Like Bomber Thompson said about the umpires, "They probably missed a lot of free kicks and players don't have perfect games, coaches don't and neither do umpires. I don't think as a club we're that worried about complaining about the umpires."

I used to umpire after I stopped playing and no matter how much people whinged I never changed a decision because of it.
But did an Umpire's advisor ever tell you during the game that you were making mistakes?

And BTW, I would humbly suggest that Whispers in the Sky was a game decided by wrong decisions.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Hell, my cats just whinge for their dinner and what I saw of some of those Cat fans, they should go to the Vets like mine did and be neutered.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Cannot believe this....Thought we were being dealt a firm card all day which is what you expect playing such a successful team of recent times.

But to hold my breathe about umpiring only to have fairweather Geelong supporters say they were robbed after watching 5 minutes of football on free to air, well that just infuriates my day!