rest some boys?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

rest some boys?

ok, very hard, and taxing game on the body.
the rate at which bodies crashed in at eachother must of taken a toll
would it be a good idea to rest some mids
prevent any injuries?
give steven and armo a go?
also the trip to west wont help

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: rest some boys?

saintjake wrote:ok, very hard, and taxing game on the body.
the rate at which bodies crashed in at eachother must of taken a toll
would it be a good idea to rest some mids
prevent any injuries?
give steven and armo a go?
also the trip to west wont help
Not at the moment. They had a rest 3 weeks ago.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

No way. Every bloke who plays for the saints has to earn his spot. We've got a 7 day break. Are we going to rest players after a hard final, ie prelim? We've got brilliant fitness staff - this is where they really earn their keep. There will no doubt be some sort of let down, but we shouldn't be taking games easy or resting guys unless they genuinely need it.

Interestingly the cats admitted they did this last year (rested blokes leading into the finals) and they believe it it cost them in the long run.

Schillaci
Club Player

I wouldn't be resting anyone for the sake of it. Successful teams are stable teams. If someone has a niggle or an injury then they should have a rest and get it right. We've got a small injury list and the depth to replace the injured but I think it would be silly to make changes so blokes could have a rest. As previously mentioned we've only just had a split round as well. We are not really in the position of having young bodies getting tired ala Suban and Hill of Freo. If it aint broke...

Milton66
SS Life Member

Is this a joke thread? :roll: :roll:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
milney044
Club Player

How many times do we have to have this suggestion shut down before it gets through that it's not going to happen. Players don't play at 100% anyway believe it or not, i use Luke Ball as the perfect example. I'm no footy expert but i gurantee there will be no changes for players needing a "rest".

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

ahh this old chestnut...

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Oh god no :roll:

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

They should rest a few umpires I reckon.

Is that what this post is getting at?? :lol:

James
Club Player

We need to make sure we're right for the finals.

That being said, I don't think it'd take too much out of the side to rotate 2 or 3 in and out each week - it might cause stability issues, but will help define our best 22 come finals and honestly, if we can't win 3 players short of our best 22 then we can't win full stop.

A couple of the boys might be a bit sore for the trip over to Subi. It's only 4 points but it might bite us on the bum - Armo, Dempster and Steven are raring for a run, I reckon we'd play just as good, probably better considering they'd be a tad fresher.

We don't want to concede the top of the ladder to Geelong, just after winning it, do we?

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

James wrote:We need to make sure we're right for the finals.

That being said, I don't think it'd take too much out of the side to rotate 2 or 3 in and out each week - it might cause stability issues, but will help define our best 22 come finals and honestly, if we can't win 3 players short of our best 22 then we can't win full stop.

A couple of the boys might be a bit sore for the trip over to Subi. It's only 4 points but it might bite us on the bum - Armo, Dempster and Steven are raring for a run, I reckon we'd play just as good, probably better considering they'd be a tad fresher.

We don't want to concede the top of the ladder to Geelong, just after winning it, do we?
So who are the 3 you would rest this week?

James
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:So who are the 3 you would rest this week?
Good question, I admit.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
saint3d
Club Player

The OP asks "rest some boys?" My answer is there aren't any in the team at present, and the men that are don't need a rest.
James wrote:We need to make sure we're right for the finals.

There are so many things wrong with this post I don't know where to start.

"It's only 4 points" - I dare you to say that to the coach and/or players. If you're lucky they'd only ignore you.

"We'd play just as good, probably better" - Better than a team that's just beaten the benchmark to go 14-0?

"If we can't win 3 players short of our best 22" - Enlighten me as to why we should play something other than our best 22?

:shock:

To the top
SS Life Member

The guys in the 22 are busting a boiler to stay in there - and getting the results they are getting.

There is an old story that you never hand a chance to anyone else - because the opportunity may just never pass your way again.

If someone is going to take you out, make them earn it the hard way.

So who do you go to and say "have a rest this week, and by the way, if the guy you are giving the opportunity to just happens to produce a blinder, well, enjoy the rest of the season trying to get what was your spot back again".

And what would you expect the response to be?

I would suggest that the response would be limited to just two words - the same two words Garry McIntosh uttered to the North Melbourne hierachy when Wally Miller allowed North Melbourne the courtesy of speaking to Garry.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I would not see any harm in dropping (not resting) Big Mac. Another midfielder on the large Subi sounds good to me. It is good to get games in to the Big Mac but he isn't going to give us much this year and is really just keeping King's spot warm.

I cant see any resting going on however (only within a game).

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Like they would let you rest them, and risk not being able to get back in?

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I believe one of the Hawthorn ruckmen last year was asked to have a rest thinking his spot was safe and he ended up not getting his spot back. Im pretty sure this is true.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I dont think we should rest anyone - but I think Geary might be an exception in this case.

You need rules - but you need to flexible in some cases.