trivia questions: 1991

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:He got us twice didn't he..

I don't remember anyone remonstrating with him in 91....we had a few tough nuts out there too that didn't mind throwing some haymakers....Vidovic,Greig(did he play?),Winmar,Lockett.

He was very hit or miss those days Gary. Wasn't til 93-96 when he became super consistant..before that he was either brilliant or unsited. That day he was unsited,but probably won the match for them taking out our bench
he was rarely at his best against us because frawley had his measure, but i saw him destroy lesser opponents often enough.

i was filthy on them that day because they would have identified burke and grant as two they needed to take out of the game ... and they did.

lockett, too, but no-one, including ablett, would have been game to take him on.

SuperSaint
Club Player

Lockett was amazing that day, an absolute freak who was almost the full forward line on his own. :) I don't think we will ever see such a talented power forward again.
I remember Paul Harding had a shocker that day and some of his efforts were woeful, especially when he was used in defence to try to stop Brownless who did not miss one damn shot a goal that day. I was a bit drty on his effort in that 91 final and it ended up being his last game for the Saints as he joined the Eagles the following year.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SuperSaint wrote:Lockett was amazing that day, an absolute freak who was almost the full forward line on his own. :) I don't think we will ever see such a talented power forward again.
I remember Paul Harding had a shocker that day and some of his efforts were woeful, especially when he was used in defence to try to stop Brownless who did not miss one damn shot a goal that day. I was a bit drty on his effort in that 91 final and it ended up being his last game for the Saints as he joined the Eagles the following year.
from memory they had a few other guns you had to hold as well.

frawley would have had his hands full with ablett.

grant, i guess, would have been an option on brownless but he'd already been smashed into next week.

SuperSaint
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:Lockett was amazing that day, an absolute freak who was almost the full forward line on his own. :) I don't think we will ever see such a talented power forward again.
from memory they had a few other guns you had to hold as well. frawley would have had his hands full with ablett. grant, i guess, would have been an option on brownless but he'd already been smashed into next week.
Sheldon mainly used Russell Morris on Brownless that day but he too struggled. His efforts however seemed better than those of Harding who was pretty bad that day.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SuperSaint wrote:Sheldon mainly used Russell Morris on Brownless that day but he too struggled.
did he? i've never seen a replay of that match, but it broke my heart at the time. i always thought it was mainly harding.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:He got us twice didn't he..

I don't remember anyone remonstrating with him in 91....we had a few tough nuts out there too that didn't mind throwing some haymakers....Vidovic,Greig(did he play?),Winmar,Lockett.

He was very hit or miss those days Gary. Wasn't til 93-96 when he became super consistant..before that he was either brilliant or unsited. That day he was unsited,but probably won the match for them taking out our bench
i remember winmar carving him up one day...gave him a football lesson......not really surprising......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:Sheldon mainly used Russell Morris on Brownless that day but he too struggled.
did he? i've never seen a replay of that match, but it broke my heart at the time. i always thought it was mainly harding.
no you are right...it was harding...never played for us again....but went on to be a good player for the weagles...cost us a no1 draft pick too......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SuperSaint
Club Player

stinger wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
no you are right...it was harding...never played for us again....but went on to be a good player for the weagles...cost us a no1 draft pick too......
Sorry that's what I meant that he used mainly Harding on Brownless but he did also use Morris. I felt Harding did not try much that day and I guess if he had made his intentions clear that he was going back to WA the following year, that may have been a big factor as to why he was so poor with his efforts. That game was as shattering a loss as the one goal loss to Port Adelaide in the 2004 Preliminary Final.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SuperSaint wrote:That game was as shattering a loss as the one goal loss to Port Adelaide in the 2004 Preliminary Final.
i agree.

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
jonesy wrote:Apart from the fact that he is probably the biggest sook to ever play sport. The most self obsessed player to ever play the game..
i know, but at least he doesn't go around clocking st kilda players like his old man.
Did you see little Gazza's reaction after the game on Sunday? I haven't seen that look since Brownlow night last year.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

B W and R all over wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
jonesy wrote:Apart from the fact that he is probably the biggest sook to ever play sport. The most self obsessed player to ever play the game..
i know, but at least he doesn't go around clocking st kilda players like his old man.
Did you see little Gazza's reaction after the game on Sunday? I haven't seen that look since Brownlow night last year.
Mentioned in another thread, but suits this one too...I am incredibly glad we don't have the likes of Ablett in our 22 for just this reason. Selfish.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

SuperSaint wrote:...I remember Paul Harding had a shocker that day and some of his efforts were woeful, especially when he was used in defence to try to stop Brownless who did not miss one damn shot a goal that day. I was a bit drty on his effort in that 91 final and it ended up being his last game for the Saints as he joined the Eagles the following year.
Yep, and played in a premership in 1992 by beating - Geelong! He didn't play on Brownless.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I was at that '91 final and it was a pretty sad state of affairs to get knocked out of the finals with the system as it was. The main things I remember from the day is what a pack of whingers Geelong supporters are, and that we got beaten by their onballers in the end. It was a slow trip home on that day.