Hypothetical - Ben Cousins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote: Some would argue that Carroll would be doing a much similar job to Zac Dawson right now
Who? Nathans Mum? The current coach of the AFL team Nathan is playing in now?
reincarnated wrote:Fact is this team can play choking defensive football when it has to, the backs benefit and there are not many instances of being one out/long leads getting the desired result for the opposition
So what? Zac has done a job on half a dozen FF's this season and has kept Goose out of the team.

What has Nathan done at his new AFL club?
reincarnated wrote:This is not a slant on Zac's performance, but our style is really helping out our key backs
So what again? Do you think that the playing structure has not helped Geelongs backs? Under your criteria some would argue that Geelong would be better off with Nathan :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

B W and R all over wrote:
InkerSaint wrote: 35 touches - so what? Maybe his teammates feed him the pill because they don't have any confidence themselves?
Then how do you explain all the high-possession games he had for West Coast when he was in the midfield with Judd and Kerr - two players not exactly short on ability and confidence.
Judd and Kerr did the in and under with players like Chick while Cousins was a sheep dog hanging out the back getting cheapies, like he is doing right now at Richmond.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Provided his off field behavior was good, I think he would definitely have added something. I can think of a few players who he'd be in front of right now.

As much trouble as he's been in over the last few years, the man has never lost his desire to work. Richmond players will still tell you today, he's a phenomenal trainer.

Only beginning to hit his straps now after a year out of the game, I imagine he'll be peaking towards the end of this season. Pardon the pun.

If I was a Richmond supporter, however, it would have riled me seeing him laughing and smiling with Judd immediately after the Tigers had just lost a game of football.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:Who would make way for him?
luke Ball

reincarnated

joffaboy wrote:
reincarnated wrote: Some would argue that Carroll would be doing a much similar job to Zac Dawson right now
Who? Nathans Mum? The current coach of the AFL team Nathan is playing in now?
reincarnated wrote:Fact is this team can play choking defensive football when it has to, the backs benefit and there are not many instances of being one out/long leads getting the desired result for the opposition
So what? Zac has done a job on half a dozen FF's this season and has kept Goose out of the team.

What has Nathan done at his new AFL club?
reincarnated wrote:This is not a slant on Zac's performance, but our style is really helping out our key backs
So what again? Do you think that the playing structure has not helped Geelongs backs? Under your criteria some would argue that Geelong would be better off with Nathan :roll:
So your response to my post is so what and the fact that Carroll is not at an afl club??

Thanking as always Captain obvious

Go back to your boardroom piss up's whilst being on saintsational

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote: So your response to my post is so what and the fact that Carroll is not at an afl club??

Oh dear - personal abuse.

Rattled your cage did I mate? :wink:

My response to you was a question?

Again who would argue that Carroll was better than Zac?

Instead of getting all titchy, try to answer the question.

My premis is that Ross Lyon - current coach of the 15-0 ladder leaders, the Saints, made a choice that Zac was better than Carroll. Actually made a choice that Zac and Colm Begley was a better deal than Carroll.

But hey who is Ross Lyon to argue against someone with such obvious knowledge as yourself??? :D :D

Now back on OP before it is the usual jacked thread. Cousins hasn't been bad at Richmond. However if he had played for the Saints who know what his torn hammy would have done to the result of our fiorst game against Sydney.

Instead of 15-0 we may have be 0-1 after the first game.

Cousins is not worth it to a team that is a genuine contender. Some straw clutching knee jerk club like Richmond was a much better fit.

Lance or James??

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:
B W and R all over wrote:
InkerSaint wrote: 35 touches - so what? Maybe his teammates feed him the pill because they don't have any confidence themselves?
Then how do you explain all the high-possession games he had for West Coast when he was in the midfield with Judd and Kerr - two players not exactly short on ability and confidence.
Judd and Kerr did the in and under with players like Chick while Cousins was a sheep dog hanging out the back getting cheapies, like he is doing right now at Richmond.
Fair enough. But they don't all have to run through brick walls. Blokes who can run and kick the ball well are invaluable.

Also, Cousins is by no means soft. Even if he doesn't win much contested posession (And I'm not sure if that's true or not, I can't seem to find the relevant stats anywhere), he still gut runs as well as anyone in the league. To push yourself to absolute exhaustion and keep going is a sign of true toughness.

A lot of people think the only way to show you're tough in footy is to win contested ball but that's only one way of judging it.

Back to my original point, I reckon he would definitely add something to our midfield at the moment. Someone mentioned Luke Ball would be the one to go out and as harsh as that seems, the argument does have some weight.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Thinline wrote:
He would simply be another player in St Kilda colours. Somewhere between Geary and whoever the next one is up the tree. Gram?
Funniest post of the decade.

You should use emoticons. Some people won't get your jokes unless you do.
I thought this was a hypothetical?

Hypothetically, I'm right.

On planet hypothetical, no one can be wrong, you turnip.

Fact is you are simply sitting there in your sad little world dragging a net through cyberspace trying to find other turnips to agree with you.

Don't shroud your agenda with a qualifier.

If you have something say, say it.

Knob.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hypothetical - Ben Cousins

rodgerfox wrote:
Massive mistake not to take Ben Cousins.

Thoughts?
Yes the current crew are massive fools with whom they have selected from other AFL Clubs Lists (past or present).

M Gardiner, King, Schneider, Dawson, Ray......all obviously bad calls...and only make up a quarter of the team.

Oh for the glorious days of Knoble, RiX, McGough, Murray...........(thank god for Gram and getting one trade right).

PS: For those putting this year down to only a low injury rate...you might want to think what the win/loss ratio might be like without having M Gardiner, King, Schneider, Dawson, Ray and CJ available to play games.....and Milne in the pocket doing a great job.

For starters in two of our wins Gardi was the difference between winning and losing.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Ben's a champ.
Yes we would be better.
The 'window' is now.
Ben is no 'sheepdog' .
Good luck to him and to richmond.
Add him and we'd have had the best midfield in the comp.
He is a premiership player, brownlow medalist, all australian, 4 times club champion.
He is still far, far ahead of what begley will ever be.

To those that think he's too far past his prime and would have an adverse effect on the team - look at gards!
Not unhappy that we didn't take him, but admit we'd be a better team with him in!

All is hypothetical except this - ben is a champ - always was, still is!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
asiu

On planet hypothetical, no one can be wrong, you turnip.

ahhhhhhh , how good

:lol: :lol:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Thinline wrote:
He would simply be another player in St Kilda colours. Somewhere between Geary and whoever the next one is up the tree. Gram?

Dunno, Thinline sounds pretty correct to me, any reason why he'd be wrong? So, 35 touches at Richmond, meh, whatever, he's their go-to man because they have nothing else.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Dunno, Thinline sounds pretty correct to me, any reason why he'd be wrong? So, 35 touches at Richmond, meh, whatever, he's their go-to man because they have nothing else.
He's now getting the 'Bowden possessions'.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
degruch wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Exactly.

This is all hypothetical, so I couldn't see the point in Rog putting down another poster's opinion...sounds like this thread is bait for someone's agenda to me.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
degruch wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Exactly.

This is all hypothetical, so I couldn't see the point in Rog putting down another poster's opinion...sounds like this thread is bait for someone's agenda to me.
Ya reckon? :)
Given that both 'rodger' and 'violent' posted yesterday I'd love to know what the alter-ego has to say on all of this?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
degruch wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Exactly.

Perhaps you need to grasp the concept of 'hypothetical' also.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Perhaps you need to grasp the concept of 'hypothetical' also.
Perhaps you need to grasp reality, for a change? :wink:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

He's so good that we'd be 16-0 by now 8-)

Seriously, I think it would be great to have another midfielder of his ilk in our starting 22. Just looking at how Geelong managed to get on top - exclusively in the midfield - after our early burst has me a little concerned. You wouldn't want that in a final where we're unlikely to get such a great start.

Not only that but he'd give the gut runners like Montagna and Hayes a well-earned break.

Hasn't put a foot wrong at Richmond in all reality and seems very highly rated by everyone behind the scenes. He's put his head down and put in the hard yards.

I'd hate to think our club was so mentally weak that overlooking him spurred us to a 15-0 start. Maybe we need to do the same thing with Barry Hall next year :?

You'd probably swap him for Geary at this stage.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Cousins gone - move on.

Kudos to him for getting his life in order and good luck to him. Too bad he had so many tickets on himself when we were chasing him.

Perhaps this thread should be: Hypothetical - If Cousins didn't behave like a tool, coul dhe have been playing in a premiership team this year?

Aslo, re the "lies", the club stated that they were going for youth, and have done so... so what lies does the negative one speak of?

Is it hypothetical opinion or hypothetical fact that the club lied?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Richter
SS Life Member

Would having BC in our midfield at the moment improve it and so the team? IMO yes.

If we had had him in the midfield since the beginning of the year would we be performing at the level we have during that time and currently be 15-0? IMO doubtful.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
TassieJones
Club Player

terrible thread. his 35 touch game on the weekend was by far and away the best game he has played all year, it's not like he's been dominating is it? chances are he may pop up with 1 or 2 more for the rest of the year in amongst the mediocrity. slower, less effective with his disposal, shadow of his former self.

btw, just who do you kick out of our midfield for him? Hayes, Dal, Montagna and Goddard have all been way, way better than him this year. Jones and Ball play roles he cannot.

reincarnated

Mr Magic wrote:
degruch wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Reincarnated says that is codwobble

Cousins is probably the only player in that team that runs, he thrives on the one-two's and its something Reincarnated believes would benefit the saints or any team for that matter as it jump starts a side into free flowing football

Although Cousins would not be getting the same about of football due to the ability of our group vs tigers he would still be getting a fair share, jump starting movements from the half back line and running through when even short kicking is a little risky due to flooding

Geary is not good enough to clean Cousin's boots

degruch
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
degruch wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Reincarnated says that is codwobble

Cousins is probably the only player in that team that runs, he thrives on the one-two's and its something Reincarnated believes would benefit the saints or any team for that matter as it jump starts a side into free flowing football

Although Cousins would not be getting the same about of football due to the ability of our group vs tigers he would still be getting a fair share, jump starting movements from the half back line and running through when even short kicking is a little risky due to flooding

Geary is not good enough to clean Cousin's boots
Hypothetically, you might be right.

reincarnated

joffaboy wrote:
reincarnated wrote: So your response to my post is so what and the fact that Carroll is not at an afl club??

Oh dear - personal abuse.

Rattled your cage did I mate? :wink:

My response to you was a question?

Again who would argue that Carroll was better than Zac?

Instead of getting all titchy, try to answer the question.

My premis is that Ross Lyon - current coach of the 15-0 ladder leaders, the Saints, made a choice that Zac was better than Carroll. Actually made a choice that Zac and Colm Begley was a better deal than Carroll.

But hey who is Ross Lyon to argue against someone with such obvious knowledge as yourself??? :D :D

Now back on OP before it is the usual jacked thread. Cousins hasn't been bad at Richmond. However if he had played for the Saints who know what his torn hammy would have done to the result of our fiorst game against Sydney.

Instead of 15-0 we may have be 0-1 after the first game.

Cousins is not worth it to a team that is a genuine contender. Some straw clutching knee jerk club like Richmond was a much better fit.
Reincarnated says it is definately not personal abuse, just pointing out a funny fact/post that you stated a while back

During a meeting of corporates, why would you be on saintsational?

Work stays at work and if one is stupid enough to bring this into work...wel...Reincarnated says shame on you

Reincarnated was not having a go at Zac, he/she/Nathan Carroll is pointing out that our team defence has greatly assisted whoever plays at full back with out team in this form

Thank you for pointing out that we are 15-0, Ross Lyon being our coach and him having greater knowledge of football. That is a given, we really are 15-0 and he really did choose Zac and Begley over Carroll, Reincarnated did not know this

Cousins is/was worth it to a team who is contender, especially to a team like us that was criticised for its lack of gut running/hardness during the pre-season. Cousins going to the Tigers was a waste for him as he is the cream to a list like Geelong, us or even the Dogs or Magpies

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Imagine if we got done by Geelong by less than a kick in the GF and just a bit more depth in the midfield would have made the difference.
Or imagine we lost to Geelong by less than a kick because Ben's notorious hammy gave out at 3/4 time and we were left one rotation short on the bench in the last quarter of a GF

Just as possible in hypothetical-land :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor