US AGAINST THE WORLD!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ThePunter
Club Player

US AGAINST THE WORLD!

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/blog.php?b=609
(The following is an unpaid political announcement by The Punter, self-appointed Chairman of the St Kilda versus the World campaign committee.)

I was going to write about Hawthorn today. For nearly five months I've been waiting for them to finally play like they did in September last year, when Buddy destroyed the Doggies, 25 minutes of football ended Robert Harvey's career and then Hawthorn did the unthinkable and beat the Cats to take the premiership and begin the next great AFL dynasty. I was going to write how it had finally happened, and they could very possibly create history and win the premiership from seventh or eighth.

Stuff 'em. Reading Big Footy today has infuriated me. It seems to be a groundswell of anticipatory shadenfreude, an incredible concoction of badwill and bile coming primarily from supporters of the Geelong, Carlton and Hawthorn football clubs, with occasional additions from the other clubs.

Threads with titles like "Fools Gold 2009 - Saints?" and "Reasons The Saints Can't Go All the Way" have filled the league wide forums on this site, and people who seem to get an unexplainable perverse pleasure out of terms like "The Aints" and "St Blunda" have been hopping on, listing the reasons that, in all honesty, they hope (rather than believe) St Kilda won't win this year's premiership.

So this blog entry is a call to arms for all St Kilda supporters. It is us against everyone else.

Yesterday, I had the pleasant experience of having an Adelaide supporter, whom I have never seen in my life, telling me he didn't pay for his seat to listen to me commentate. Those who know me will know I talk a lot at the football, not in a one-eyed uninformed way, but very similar to how this blog is written.

Now, I've been sitting in the same seats for St Kilda home games at Colonial Stadium/Telstra Dome/Etihad Stadium/Docklands for nine years. My "friend" from Adelaide was sitting in his seat for the first time. I let him know I would have to live with his disappointment, and did not amend my behaviour after his reproach.

This is the sort of thing that is going to occur more often over the next ten weeks. People who have taken great pleasure over having the mere dumb luck to barrack for a team that has had more success than our team will start acting like spoilt children who have had their favourite toy taken away from them. Those who are adults will grow and move on, realising it is only a game. Many will not, and we should not waste our time with these people.

The fact that our beloved football club has been through so much, whether self-inflicted or forced upon us by the masters of fate, or the powers that be, will make the ultimate success all the more sweeter, whenever it does happen.

So, St Kilda supporters, brace yourselves for the next ten weeks. People will come up to you, trying to upset you with history and their own shortcomings. Brush them off as you would an errant hair on your least favourite pullover. They will not bring you down.

However, we will and must prevail. We must not let the haters trample our robust spirit. And the nectars of victory will be sweet, and the conquest will belong to the righteous.

(Authorised by The Punter, c/o Linton St, Moorabbin.)
Last edited by ThePunter on Tue 21 Jul 2009 9:30am, edited 1 time in total.

roxanne
Club Player

I know what he's on about. I've posted the opinion before - people can't stand to see us successful. It's almost as if it threatens the natural order of things for St Kilda to do what we're doing right now. Well get used to it everyone out there because this is just the beginning - they can try to get us on the field, at the tribunal and in p***y little posts on BigFooty but we will prevail, now and forever.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Very amusing :lol:

Let it be said though, that all footy supporters are the same. If it was the pies in our position we'd all be talking about the colliwobbles. cats didn't shake the handbag tag and ppl refused to believe they were the real deal until they finally won a flag in 07. Ppl laugh/snigger, doubt our team, but deep down they're shitten themselves 8-)

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

It is really quite strange that when we are at the bottom of the ladder, we are everyone's 2nd favourite team. Once we hit anywhere near the top, we almost seem to be one of the most hated! Not to worry, I don't value the opinions of jealous numpties on Big Footy anyway. Wouldn't not even waste my time visiting there as it would be wasted time I can never get back! :P

Fortius Quo Fidelius
aussiejones
Club Player

Two reports ......life is back to normal

Lucky we can cover them

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Success breeds envy. Envy leads to hate. Hate leads to the dark side. So said Aristotle. No wait, I think it was Larry Emdur...... or Yoda. Anyhoo, I guess we'll just have to absorb all the ignorant, hate and envy-filled bile the losers can muster. I for one was heartily sick of being pitied by other supporters, and of being everyone's "second favourite team". Stuff them. Never in history has so much shite been spoke by so many, for so long, to so few(us). I knew I could get something Churchillian in there. Come on Sainters, let's keep winning, take the flag and become hated and feared by the opposition. We will fight them at the MCG, we will fight them at Etihad, Subiaco and AAMI. We will fight them at the SCG and the 'Gabba. We will never surrender! (Whew! More Churchill). That's enough from me. Medication time!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Very amusing :lol:
Ppl laugh/snigger, doubt our team, but deep down they're shitten themselves 8-)

aint thatthe truth.....we have gone from impressive to fearful in one afternoon.........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
xander
Club Player

completely agree with the OP. im so sick of people saying that we only won because another team messed up or that we are due for a loss or we have been lucky. Today a bulldogs supporter told me that the saints were lucky and if they had injuries this year they wouldn't have won as many games and if we had injuries to our top 5 we would struggle (which team wouldnt
:roll: )

roxanne
Club Player

We've had injuries to our top five (or near as damn it) and made two preliminary finals!

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We are everyone's favourite second team......as long as we are losing.

If we are playing hard and tough winning football then we become "the team that shall not be named"...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

roxanne wrote:We've had injuries to our top five (or near as damn it) and made two preliminary finals!
Damn Straight. We've had injuries and still been pretty good. Without injuries we're awesome !!

If the rest of 'em don't like that then they can bite my bag !! :evil: :evil:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Last year I actually found that alot of people were supporting us in the finals series, we were considered the "underdog" given the circumstances that got us into the top 4 spot.

This year I can feel already that we are not going to get much love...but you know what, I don't care much.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Last year I actually found that alot of people were supporting us in the finals series, we were considered the "underdog" given the circumstances that got us into the top 4 spot.

This year I can feel already that we are not going to get much love...but you know what, I don't care much.
That might change if/when we are still undefeated going into the GF. I reckon that there will be plenty jump on in the hope that we/someone achieves an unprecedented record !!

St Michele
Club Player

Let them all get over it, most of us have waited a long time to be in this position ( for me it is only since the 1978 football season when I arrived in Australia) I am loving it, it is nice to even see the paper's ( especially here in Perth) begrudgingly admit 'we are the real thing' so I say lets lap up every minute and buggar them we deserve this and anyone who says otherwise is jealous!!!

Michele

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

We had a Crows supporter come up to us after the game and congratulate us on how we won. Said they absolutely love Roo clapped him every time he got the ball and wished he played for them. Then wished us all the best for the big one. Rare I know, but very nice.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Great piece - absolutely

In their minds we're like the ugly sister - it blow's their minds when we start achieving what they feel is all theirs

your momma
Club Player

wise words.

But I have no problem....

EVERY DAY I TAKE IN ALL THE PRIDE OF SUPPORTING THE UNTAMABLE BEAST OF FOOTBALL, THE SAINTS.

I REMIND EVERYONE THAT I PLACE ALL MY MONEY ON A BET THAT THE SAINTS WILL NOT LOSE THIS SEASON. As for the finals, we'll see.

And I will continue to remind all that the saints are defying defeat and kickin' ass since round 1

16-Nil. Bitch

"Im never satisfied...its a curse"
matrix
Saintsational Legend

buddy destroyed the hawks???

lost me :?

ThePunter
Club Player

Mistake rectified

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I want everyone to hate us - that means we are winning and winning well.

ThePunter
Club Player

I want people to hate us because we are winning and are the best. Hating us because we are terrible is systematic with greater problems in society.