Game lost at selection table

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote: Hayes needs Armitage to come in and give him a breather,

Lenny's super human efforts week in and week out are simply amazing,

without the out of form Ball, surely Armitage being selected is a no brainer,

R Eddy is NOT ready, he's a liability, too raw, lacks skill and is at least two years away from deserving a game IMHO

I am absolutely amazed that Geary and Eddy get selected ahead of Armitage, totally wrong IMHO
think you will find Armo hasn't played for three weeks (according to plugger66)
barks4eva wrote:I do have a very good feeling about McEvoy and very happy to see him getting more game time
Yeah agreed. Seems to be getting better every game at the top level. Hasn't any expectations on him and isn't being pressured into being a superstar like Kruezer.
barks4eva wrote:All in all, I have a very strong feeling that we will lose this game,

The weakest team we have fielded all season,

No
Gardiner
Ball
Kossie
Dawson ( has been amazing all year )
I have a feeling like that as well, however if we continue to pressure like we have done all year, we will be very hard to beat.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
GrumpyOne

I haven't read the whole thread, so I might be going over old ground here, but AFAIAC, Lyon has not made a mistake all year, and the results bear that up.

I have no idea why Gwilt was selected in preference to Goose, cannot see why we cannot rest a few guys going in to finals, and what's up with Gardi; but I am prepared to place my faith at this point of time in Lyon's judgement and knowledge.

I think Lyon and the boys have earnt our support so far this year, so unless the wheels fall off in a major hurry in the next few rounds, we should sit back and appreciate the ride.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:....The weakest team we have fielded all season,
No
Gardiner
Ball
Kossie
No doubt about that, but three of the outs are beyond our control. We have definitely lost more than 50% of the option to kick to a marking contest in the square (mainly Kosi but also Michael Gardiner). Piling all that responsibility onto the shoulders of Nick could be dangerous to his health let alone our marking chances. Our precision out of the backline will suffer with the loss of Zac who, not only kicks precisely, but also chooses the right option.

However, our on ball work should continue apace. Like others, I am far more concerned this week than I was against Geelong. Last week against Adelaide, a slower team than us, our strangle tactics worked. However, we have seen this year against Essendon that quick run can cause us problems and in the end it was their poor disposal from such forays that resulted in our win. The Dogs are much better in this area, once they start running they kick with precision, and often it is most effective in their last quarters.

Ross out coached Rodney Eade in round 6, and he is going to have to do it again if we are to register win number 17. I have hope, but not confidence. It will be a huge test.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: However, our on ball work should continue apace. Like others, I am far more concerned this week than I was against Geelong. Last week against Adelaide, a slower team than us, our strangle tactics worked. However, we have seen this year against Essendon that quick run can cause us problems and in the end it was their poor disposal from such forays that resulted in our win.
I sort of disagree with that. Essendon never got within three goals of us after our initial 5 goal burst, and only scored 10 goals all game.

They were poor in disposal going forward but that is because of percieved and real pressure coming from the "Lyon Cage" (Jake Niall would be so proud of me :wink: ).

Doesn't matter how quick a team is, if we can forward pressure them and they hesitate, we will squeeze the life out of them. If they try to Geelong us (run and carry with quick release handballs) we will corrall them and not run at them.

Add in a purring defence with runners like Gilbert and Fisher (and even Raph) back there and the ball rebounds quicker than any team can run.

Really the team is so well drilled and knows the setup so well that it is extremely hard to break.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:I haven't read the whole thread, so I might be going over old ground here, but AFAIAC, Lyon has not made a mistake all year, and the results bear that up.

I have no idea why Gwilt was selected in preference to Goose, cannot see why we cannot rest a few guys going in to finals, and what's up with Gardi; but I am prepared to place my faith at this point of time in Lyon's judgement and knowledge.

I think Lyon and the boys have earnt our support so far this year, so unless the wheels fall off in a major hurry in the next few rounds, we should sit back and appreciate the ride.
Yeah well said G.O.

Be nice if most people heeded the bolded part, just quietly.

Rossy's the one getting paid the big bucks to make these decisions, and he's earning every cent at the minute.

I'd back his judgement before keyboard warriors!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:The Dogs are much better in this area, once they start running they kick with precision, and often it is most effective in their last quarters.
The last few games I've seen the Dogs play this has not been the case, and final quarter comebacks looked more like the result of fatigued opposition trying to win a footrace. That's not what we will be doing.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

One thing that really encouraged me was how good the Saints looked against a team that had supposedly improved so much since the last time the two met.

Have the Doggies fixed their turnover tendencies yet?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Solar
Saintsational Legend

so wait

from the team that thumped the in form crows by 10 goals we have lost zac but got back our best full back from the past 10 years. Kosi is a loss but did nothing against the crows and we can cover him. Against a small forward line we can afford a gilbert or chips to move forward. it's a good challenge and I back up to win by 30 points....

as a certain poster used to say

FFS STOP WORRYING

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
aussiejones
Club Player

"No doubt about that, but three of the outs are beyond our control. We have definitely lost more than 50% of the option to kick to a marking contest in the square (mainly Kosi but also Michael Gardiner). Piling all that responsibility onto the shoulders of Nick could be dangerous to his health let alone our marking chances. Our precision out of the backline will suffer with the loss of Zac who, not only kicks precisely, but also chooses the right option.

However, our on ball work should continue apace. Like others, I am far more concerned this week than I was against Geelong. Last week against Adelaide, a slower team than us, our strangle tactics worked. However, we have seen this year against Essendon that quick run can cause us problems and in the end it was their poor disposal from such forays that resulted in our win. The Dogs are much better in this area, once they start running they kick with precision, and often it is most effective in their last quarters.

Ross out coached Rodney Eade in round 6, and he is going to have to do it again if we are to register win number 17. I have hope, but not confidence. It will be a huge test."

Agree 110% Make no mistake the Dogs are good. Also , as said Roo needs support without Kosi.

Last week was excellent BUT this week is another game .. could be very close.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:
, as said Roo needs support without Kosi.

I think you will find that Big Ben will spend some time forward...with King getting the larger part of the ruckwork.

BJ is not smal..and willIMO be told to take every opportunity to run forward.

Gwilt will play forward....and will bea target and use his body Hamill like.

As to Goose...as a defender...who would he play on?

* Does not have the spoling skills to play on Minson. eade could also swap Minson fora small if Goose was at FB.
* Does not have the agility or pace to go with any of the Doggs medium or small forwards.

Which mean that if Goose played he would have to play as a key forward....and Lake is AA form. roos also likes his players to be abkle to take ona variety of roles..and at present against aline-up such as the Dogs will field he cannot offer that.

Of all the teams in the AFL...Goose is probably least suited to playing against the Dogs.

Now Zac is a loss...but one could argue that all of Blake, Max and Zac would be one too many.

Ball is out of the team on form..despite what the Lyon-bashers say. so he does not reserve a recall untill he has demonstraed that he is doing what is required.

We have selecteda TEAM.....comapred to not long back where we would select stars with others to make up the numbers.

Our performance at present has been achieved by TEAM values and play....and building this to an even higher level for September is clearly what is driving selection at present.

Ball can be part of the September action...but only if he plays better.

This demand reveraberates through our entire team now...or at least those who want to be in our finall 22.

Gwilt knows this...and will be eager to achieve.

Ditto for Raph. (whose trend is upwards at present)

There are more than 22 players competing for a finals berth...and it is great this year that there will be players "unlucky" not to be picked in the finals. They will miss out not because they are not capable..but rather that othrs have demonstrated themeselves more capable of delivering what the TEAM needs.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
BigMart wrote:I agree.......a poor selection...

Gwilt <GOP
Eddy <GOP
McEvoy <GOP (at this stage) but a fair inclusion as a second ruck....

No exposure for the accomplished Lynch, or the talented Armitage is not getting an opportunity?????.....

Riewoldt may have three opponents....his, plus eddy's and Gwilts to contend with.....because they will pay about as much respect to them as England pay to our <GOBowlingAttack
Agree 100%

poor selections,

almost feels like tanking,

I'll be very surprised if we win this game,

Hayes needs Armitage to come in and give him a breather,

Lenny's super human efforts week in and week out are simply amazing,

without the out of form Ball, surely Armitage being selected is a no brainer,

R Eddy is NOT ready, he's a liability, too raw, lacks skill and is at least two years away from deserving a game IMHO

I am absolutely amazed that Geary and Eddy get selected ahead of Armitage, totally wrong IMHO

I do have a very good feeling about McEvoy and very happy to see him getting more game time,

All in all, I have a very strong feeling that we will lose this game,

The weakest team we have fielded all season,

No
Gardiner
Ball
Kossie
Very positive. Luckily our coach knows more than some posters.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:....
Have the Doggies fixed their turnover tendencies yet?
They have dropped the two players who accounted for about 50% of them the last time we played. Whether that has "fixed" the problem we shall see.

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Very positive. Luckily our coach knows more than some posters.
I would suggest he knows more than ALL posters!

Legendary
Club Player

Because our selection has cost us so many games already this year ...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Because our selection has cost us so many games already this year ...
We have lost all 16 games at the selection table, luckily we have won them all on the field :wink:

Lance or James??

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Gwilt will play forward....and will bea target and use his body Hamill like.
Yeah and I'm off to Hollywood, I hear Angelina Jolie is going to ditch Brad for me!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Yeah and I'm off to Hollywood, I hear Angelina Jolie is going to ditch Brad for me!

Really you lucky bugger, Scarlett keeps trying to get me to go over as well.

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Gwilt will play forward....and will be a target and use his body Hamill like.
J. Gwilt - 2 weeks

Podge

The only bloke I'm concerned with in the side is Eddy; he's slow, has poor disposal and may get found out against the lightning fast Doggies.

happy feet
Club Player

selection table

Nice win boys. Go dance on the selection table!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Game lost at selection table

Wolfpak wrote:With the absence of Kosi, we only now have one tall forward being in Roo.
The bulldogs will double tag Roo and we will loose game.
No Gardiner or Goose. Huge problem. Maybe Gilbert will play forward.
Again Stkilda you are going back to your old tricks.. ......
What is wrong with Gardner and Ball and why will you not play Goose.
Please let us supporters know.
Well, Speak up.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

True Believer wrote: For all of his detractors, Jimmy is pretty reasonable overhead, has a good solid body that he is learning to throw around, has a great kick, and is quicker and more agile than Goose (agility is not the strongest card to play for either of them). He doesn't play quite as tall, and doesn't split the packs like Goose - but do we need that this week?
If Jimmy provides a hit-up target, helps lock the ball in, and separates the defenders, then he will have done his job, particularly if he kicks one or two.
I hope all those putting the boots into Jimmy before tonight are lining up to apologise!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Obviously he meant the Bulldogs selection table.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Winmar
Club Player

What a stupid thread!!

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Game lost at selection table

Wolfpak wrote:With the absence of Kosi, we only now have one tall forward being in Roo.
The bulldogs will double tag Roo and we will loose game.
No Gardiner or Goose. Huge problem. Maybe Gilbert will play forward.
Again Stkilda you are going back to your old tricks.. ......
What is wrong with Gardner and Ball and why will you not play Goose.
Please let us supporters know.
FAIL