Quartermain

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Listening to Richo made that commentary, haven't watched the whole game yet, but what I have seen, he is a natural....

roxanne
Club Player

Glad there's a post about Quartmaine, his dislike for us, or maybe it's just that he doesn't rate us, has been going on all year. He tipped the Cat's to smash us by 60points. The Age even revisited him after the game to find out how he felt about his tip. Said he might have gone over the the top but they'd still monster us in the finals. Tipped Adelaide, tipped the Bulldogs....I don't think he's really seen that much of us as we're always playing Sunday night. Thought I heard a fair bit of awe creep into his voice last night...even though he was barracking hard for the Dogs. The interesting thing was Malcolm Blight saying we should be flag favourites....that made me sit up.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
Young Georgie
Club Player

This is a Quartermain post but also being about the media and its anti-St Kilda bias thought I'd mention (hope it hasn't already) Nick Maxwell's question to Nick Dal Santo on this mornings 7 footy whatever show with Ox and Robbo.

Dal trotted the usual responses to the usual questions and it was all fairly predictable when Maxwell asked (and I'm paraphrasing here) if with this incredible string of wins we make it into the GF and lose would the team feel like they were a failure :shock:

I would have treated it with the disdain it deserved but Dal totted out the usual response and no one else said boo, not even to mock the question's undermining intent fresh out of the Eddie Maguire school of abusing media power to push own agenda.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it but it seemed to me a contrived cheap below the belt shot typical of Collingwood.

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
MasonCJ2
Club Player

Ah well, if someone doesn't like us, too bad. I'd find it hard to hide my bias against Essendon, Hawthorn, and the Dogs. I agree he is an ijot though. Maybe it is just a matter of a lack of brainpower, but I'd always thought lowly of him because he doesn't strike me as someone who knows much about sport - and that's his job!!

Agree on Hird and Richo - the latter a breath of fresh air last night and Hird has been a 400% improvement on On the Couch in replacement of "Obvious statements and easy targets" Walls. If I were RIchmond, I would be banging on Hird's door and trying to convince him to coach.

I like the way Richo just dismisses stupid media commentary and just shuts it down. On that note, he's quite good on the Channel 10 show which is just budget as it gets. Walls and Quartermain - what a horrifically useless combo!!

We are a sniff
stinger
Saintsational Legend

maxwell is like most of his filth captain predecessors.......a prick at heart.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Young Georgie wrote:This is a Quartermain post but also being about the media and its anti-St Kilda bias thought I'd mention (hope it hasn't already) Nick Maxwell's question to Nick Dal Santo on this mornings 7 footy whatever show with Ox and Robbo.

Dal trotted the usual responses to the usual questions and it was all fairly predictable when Maxwell asked (and I'm paraphrasing here) if with this incredible string of wins we make it into the GF and lose would the team feel like they were a failure :shock:

I would have treated it with the disdain it deserved but Dal totted out the usual response and no one else said boo, not even to mock the question's undermining intent fresh out of the Eddie Maguire school of abusing media power to push own agenda.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it but it seemed to me a contrived cheap below the belt shot typical of Collingwood.
Haha,yeah I saw that. Good on Maxwell, good question to ask,trying to take an edge in mind games already in the chance we'll meet come September.

Bring back the Lockett era
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I reckon Quarters saved my life one day at Waverley in the 90's. I was a long haired teenage surfer and we had just kicked the last 4 goals to beat Collingwood in the dying minutes. Eddy McGuire and Quarters were leaving the MMM box and I yelled out to Eddy "Collingwood suck and so do you". Quarters had to hold Eddy back and Eddy yelled back "What are you some sort of Silverchair reject". Gold from Eddy. I could see in his eyes it was time to leave.

saint3d
Club Player

Goose is king wrote:I reckon Quarters saved my life one day at Waverley in the 90's. I was a long haired teenage surfer and we had just kicked the last 4 goals to beat Collingwood in the dying minutes. Eddy McGuire and Quarters were leaving the MMM box and I yelled out to Eddy "Collingwood suck and so do you". Quarters had to hold Eddy back and Eddy yelled back "What are you some sort of Silverchair reject". Gold from Eddy. I could see in his eyes it was time to leave.
So it's your fault he hates the Saints! At least you've owned up to it now.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:I reckon Quarters saved my life one day at Waverley in the 90's. I was a long haired teenage surfer and we had just kicked the last 4 goals to beat Collingwood in the dying minutes. Eddy McGuire and Quarters were leaving the MMM box and I yelled out to Eddy "Collingwood suck and so do you". Quarters had to hold Eddy back and Eddy yelled back "What are you some sort of Silverchair reject". Gold from Eddy. I could see in his eyes it was time to leave.
1997. You can thank Joel Smith.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

We were gone for all money that day, was one of the great wins. The Collingwood crowd were just at there feral best all day,back to the old animal days that was. The abuse they gave Winmar in the last...then they stopped, Smith came good late,long bombs that bounced through was the sealer,was a sweet moment sending those germs home

Bring back the Lockett era
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

MasonCJ2 wrote:
but I'd always thought lowly of him because he doesn't strike me as someone who knows much about sport - and that's his job!!
That is exactly how Ive viewed him for some time - he's aka to Tim Webster doing sport.....not good at all. Lazy, unprepared, never insightful, boring and tries very hard to be a 'shock-jock' and it just falls flat. The guy wouldve been picked on at school you can see it.

Channel 10 need an overhaul desperately - between Quarterbrain and the funeral guy Lane with his corpse of a daughter and Walls (who just re-states the play) it really is unprofessional and second rate (I hadnt even gotten to the greatest tool in Maher, Michael Christian and Blight..... :roll: )

Weel in some youth - lose the woman whose also trying to sound like a blike - and just give us some professionalism without the bias and maybe a hint of "we know what we are talking about"

They should listen to ABC radio for a clue IMHO - ALWAYS insightful, not a boys club, they just get on with calling the game.

“Yeah….nah””
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:
MasonCJ2 wrote:
but I'd always thought lowly of him because he doesn't strike me as someone who knows much about sport - and that's his job!!
That is exactly how Ive viewed him for some time - he's aka to Tim Webster doing sport.....not good at all. Lazy, unprepared, never insightful, boring and tries very hard to be a 'shock-jock' and it just falls flat. The guy wouldve been picked on at school you can see it.

Channel 10 need an overhaul desperately - between Quarterbrain and the funeral guy Lane with his corpse of a daughter and Walls (who just re-states the play) it really is unprofessional and second rate (I hadnt even gotten to the greatest tool in Maher, Michael Christian and Blight..... :roll: )

Weel in some youth - lose the woman whose also trying to sound like a blike - and just give us some professionalism without the bias and maybe a hint of "we know what we are talking about"

They should listen to ABC radio for a clue IMHO - ALWAYS insightful, not a boys club, they just get on with calling the game.
Please tell me the comment about 'the woman trying to sound like a bloke' was not directed at Kelly Underwood..?? She is one of the best sports reporters going around. Unlike a few of the other so called female reporters who turn up to training sessions and prance around the boundary in their high heels with their bleached blonde hair (which seems to have fried the few brain cells they have). She is always respected by the players and they have no hesitation in stopping and talking to her.

She has also done a great job on the few games she has called. Great to be able to listen to a commentator without all the bulls&*t the likes of Rex Hunt and Dennis Commetti dish up. ABC is not much better these days unfortunately. I have no idea who Kelly Underwood supports in the AFL (which is the way it should be). How many other commentators could you honestly say that about?

Keep up the good work Kelly.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
sasaint
Club Player

Genuinly thought that Grant Thomas was a very good commentator and only got pushed because he upset a few people in the AFL. In general have to agree that the ABC has the best commentry team going ATM.

Patience young grasshopper
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

So which would you prefer??? the media gunning for us to lose ...or perhaps wining just a couple of games for the year and having them patronise us like Kindergarden kids??

Personally I dont give a rats whether TV reporters respect us or not. I dont respect 75% of them. Have a watch back of last years GF. Where was the respect to Geelong when the Hwks got a run-on? None. They sensed a massive upset and pumped up Hawthorn tyres bigtime.

Welcome to 2009. We are 17-0 and us even looking like dropping a game is big news...and Im totally OK with it!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Premiers2009
Club Player

Young Georgie wrote:This is a Quartermain post but also being about the media and its anti-St Kilda bias thought I'd mention (hope it hasn't already) Nick Maxwell's question to Nick Dal Santo on this mornings 7 footy whatever show with Ox and Robbo.

Every time I hear Maxwell I laugh. Guy sounds like a hero.

"Is it a Premiership or failure?"
"We haven't really spoken about it [dude you really need a new shirt, that retro yellow number looks like you put it in the wash with a dirty nappy]"

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:maxwell is like most of his filth captain predecessors.......a prick at heart.....
Glad you said "most"...very few people in footy have anything bad to say about Scott Burns

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Beej
Saintsational Legend

I saw that and it sh1t me as well.

Then I realised why it riled me so much - because it's true.

If we don't win a flag now, how could it be considered anything but a failure?

And that makes me nervous just thinking about.

Young Georgie
Club Player

OLB wrote:

Maxwell achieved the desired result with you OLB and got you thinking about failure. With all due respect, I hope Dal is stronger and keeps focusing - as he actually said in his response - on the day-to-day processes (if the effort's there the result will take care of itself etc etc). All they (Maxwell, Quartermain etc) want to do is get under your skin. The reason it pised me off was that he used that forum on TV to deliver a loaded, hypothetical question and that Dal didn't tell him that at St Kilda we don't think about failure and that Maxwell should stick to his day job and concern himself with the Pies inconsistancy and own failures.

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Young Georgie wrote:
OLB wrote:

Maxwell achieved the desired result with you OLB and got you thinking about failure. With all due respect, I hope Dal is stronger and keeps focusing - as he actually said in his response - on the day-to-day processes (if the effort's there the result will take care of itself etc etc). All they (Maxwell, Quartermain etc) want to do is get under your skin. The reason it pised me off was that he used that forum on TV to deliver a loaded, hypothetical question and that Dal didn't tell him that at St Kilda we don't think about failure and that Maxwell should stick to his day job and concern himself with the Pies inconsistancy and own failures.
To be fair, I didn't need Maxwell to ask the question for me to realise that not winning the flag is a possibility. I get more nervous with each win knowing full well that the bigger you are, the harder you fall.

Remember that we still need a hell of a lot of luck from here until the end of the season to win a flag. There are so many things that can derail our season, as hard as that may be for you to believe.
With all due respect, I hope Dal is stronger and keeps focusing
Haha whether I focus on winning or not is totally irrelevant and will not affect the club one way or another. :shock:

I would hope Dal does continue to focus. That's what he's paid to do and, unlike us, he has the ability to actually influence a game.