Did we destroy the geelong Myth?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

IMO - to ignore the Saints for a moment and look only at the Cats - the aura of invincibility is well and truly gone. Geelong are now in the place that Brisbane was in circa 2003 or Essendon in 2001. Playing up to the end of September a couple of years in a row (or one week less in Essendon's case) takes a toll, and it's meant that playing a game as hard as the R14 game was is now displaying cracks to the world that were previously hidden to anyone not on the inside.

That doesn't mean Geelong is done - again, I look at Brisbane 2003, when you've got that level of ability and pride, much like Geelong, you can tread water and still be too good for most teams. If you're that good, when you make the big one, and you leave everything on the ground on that one day, it's still going to take a team as good as Port Adelaide 2004, or Brisbane 2001 to take it away from you.

In a nutshell, while I think the Cats choked last year after breezing it in for 2007, history doesn't care, and that won't matter a whit this year. They've learned the hard way that their place in history is far from assured, and while they're unlikely to get 100% healthy again in 2009, with their backs to the wall, that's still a team with a lot of guns.

The aura of invincibility is gone, but it wasn't the aura that has been so amazing since they took control of the comp in 2007, it's the on field ability. They may not have one hand on the prize, but to win the big one still requires Geelong to lose, and the list of teams that can pull that off is still pretty short.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Let's not get to focused on Geelong, benchmark team fair enough, but they could always be eliminated in an upset.

There are other potential challengers come September, we haven't played Collingwood in form and with their guns firing in some time. Should the Hawks scrape through to mount a finals campaign, I wouldn't underestimate them either.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Did we destroy the geelong Myth?

Dan Warna wrote:for most if this year geelong were perceived to have lost the 08 premiership, not hawthorn winning it.

IT was perceived by many that geelong were too arrogant, wasteful in front of goal and lazy, and that hawthorn played above themselves to 'steal' the premiership.

even this year, many predicted st kilda to be the team who wins the right to lose to geelong.

we beat them by a goal, but again, the smell of the game, and the way they closed on us, many again believed that st kilda had won the battle but wasn't prepared to win the war.

the next week St kilda, were expected to lose to WC, because of the travel and the energy spent, then again the week after to the 'hot' crows, and the 'hot dogs', all three teams were beaten with a degree of comfort.

Geelong had a loss, then accounted comfortably for the pathetic dees, before a stirring victory over a wasteful and injury ridden hawks.

Geelong are a brilliant side, but the air of invulnerability is cracking IMO?

I saw a lot of FOOTSCRAY supporters complaining to Etihad Catering that their hot dogs were still frozen.
Of course Etihad Catering refused to give them their money back.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Let's not get to focused on Geelong, benchmark team fair enough, but they could always be eliminated in an upset.

There are other potential challengers come September, we haven't played Collingwood in form and with their guns firing in some time. Should the Hawks scrape through to mount a finals campaign, I wouldn't underestimate them either.
There's another team that no one should underestimate - the mighty Saints.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
StSteven
Club Player

The main reason I believe we must treat Geelong seriously is that in Rd 14 we won the first Qtr (5 goals to 2). They won the rest (11 goals to 9).

They did this without their main goal kicker (Steve Johnson), at our home ground and without Ottens.

If they are fully fit they will be a real threat but not invincible of course.

ratismeat
Club Player

I'll jump on board and bag the pussies with as much glee as anyone, IF we win the premiership.

Until then Cats are the better team, with the harder bodies and the better talent. As soon as that final siren blows in september however, we can all finally let loose (hopefully).

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Have Hawthorn become dangerous, or have Geelong become insipid?

Hard to believe the team that was held goalless to half-time three weeks ago has switched on so suddenly. Saturday afternoon's game was theirs to lose. I said to myself I'd be sold on Hawthorn when they could string three wins together.

I'm not convinced either team played 4 quarters of their best footy.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Let's not get to focused on Geelong, benchmark team fair enough, but they could always be eliminated in an upset.

There's another team that no one should underestimate - the mighty Saints.
Of course not, I am talking about the potential opposition. I don't think it's wise to focus completely on Geelong...

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

17-0. That makes us the team to beat.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
StSteven
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:17-0. That makes us the team to beat.

Not in Finals (Prelims especially)

santazzi
Club Player

hAyES wrote:They're missing Steve Johnson a hell of a lot IMO. They're forward line is average without him. Don't be fooled by their recent form, come finals once they get their full team back they are the last team I'd want us to play in the Grand Final.
1. There is nothing to suggest that they will get their full team back

2. Even if they manage to put their best team on the park, there is nothing to suggest all of the returnees from injury will be fully fit for a GF bash

The facinating aspect of encounter with the Saints this season is the number of opposition casualities sustained. It seems to me the more fancied the team the greater the casualiy (geelong, Dogs..). One wonders what is cooking for the Hawks!!!!!!

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

InkerSaint wrote:Have Hawthorn become dangerous, or have Geelong become insipid?
Check it out - I'm onto something...

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 78366.html

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
bigred
Saintsational Legend

They are down at the moment.

The game against us broke them somewhat, whereas we just kept motoring.

To be honest, I will be concerned about any team we meet in the finals. I do think there is a massive gap between St Kilda & Geelong to the rest of the field.

Geelong are getting injured. We all know what it is like to start to get injured at this stage of the year. It is not ideal, no matter what spin you put on it. It can take a few games for players to find form again. And you lose the luxury of the magoos to get run into legs.

I will back us in against any club in the top eight at the moment, and any team that manages to take the 8th spot.

We have a fair dinkum opportunity here. Touch wood.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

People are reading much into Geelongs fight back against Hawthorn. However, if you look at it rationally, it's not that hard to fathom. The Hawks have been weak in their defence all year, and the kids just didn't cope with the quick burst of goals towards the end.