Who has been the most instrumental in St kilda's rise?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Isn't the whole point of a 'professional footy department' that Lyon doesn't look after these areas? And that all he has to worry about is coaching?
What a dead set flog.

You have spent years rubbishing Drain etc...and the WISE move to move away from GT Control to an expanded football department (ie Butters was right and GT was WRONG).......only now to start ridiculing the obvious benefit that Lyon has brought to the Saints.....by the fact that Lyon is part of a football department team...but the most important part as head coach.

YES RL is head coach...but the head coach role is not just match day coaching. And in matrix management style Lyon is working with others in the football department.

Make no mistake Lyon is the key to our fringe players being developed....and Lyon sets the scene for the players that we have traded for....even if it is Drain who does the legwork in securing the trades.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
yipper
SS Life Member

Well I reckon blokes like David Parkin, Leigh Matthews, Stan Alves, Neil Craig, Terry Wallace, Allan Jeans, Robert Walls, Kevin Sheedy AND Grant Thomas can't all be wrong now - and Rodgerlox right!! Really?? They are all wrong and it is not at all anything to do with our coach as you say, but rather Misson and Tudor and just plain luck that has us as the most dominant team seen in AFL footy for years after 17 rounds. Yeah ... righto. Whatever you say mate.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Isn't the whole point of a 'professional footy department' that Lyon doesn't look after these areas? And that all he has to worry about is coaching?
What a dead set flog.

You have spent years rubbishing Drain etc...and the WISE move to move away from GT Control to an expanded football department (ie Butters was right and GT was WRONG).......only now to start ridiculing the obvious benefit that Lyon has brought to the Saints.....by the fact that Lyon is part of a football department team...but the most important part as head coach.
So when you harped on about Geelong's success being based on the fact that Thompson could now focus solely on coaching, as the others areas were being managed by Balme - you were wrong?

Or, does the magical 'professional footy department' work differently with us?

Does the head coach still run the entire show? Or does the List Manager manage the list, and the fitness guy manage the fitness?

I'm still very confused as to who the boss is? And who is responsible for our list, and who is responsible for the fitness of our players.

I heard some people say once that Grant Thomas tried to run everything - and that for this he was mad! So we needed a new footy department that made the coach just focus on coaching, and other people look after their designated areas.

Maybe those people were wrong then. Because what I'm reading in this thread is that Ross Lyon looks after everything! He manages the list, he gets players fit, he does selection on his own, he develops game plans on his own - by the sounds of it, he doesn't even need assistants!

Are you saying those people were wrong.
saintsRrising wrote: Make no mistake Lyon is the key to our fringe players being developed....and Lyon sets the scene for the players that we have traded for....even if it is Drain who does the legwork in securing the trades.
He sets the scene???

That's funny.

What the hell does that mean?

He says, "Hmmm, I need a really good ruckman" and Drain goes and gets him one? Gee, the brilliance of Ross Lyon!!!

It's like Mr Burns telling Daryl Strawberry to hit a home run, and when he does Mr Burns claims "I told him to do that!".

Fair dinkum.

I'd like someone to answer me this....

If we lost Roo, Lenny Hayes, BJ and Dal - would Ross Lyon still be the genius that he is right now?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:Well I reckon blokes like David Parkin, Leigh Matthews, Stan Alves, Neil Craig, Terry Wallace, Allan Jeans, Robert Walls, Kevin Sheedy AND Grant Thomas can't all be wrong now - and Rodgerlox right!! Really?? They are all wrong and it is not at all anything to do with our coach as you say, but rather Misson and Tudor and just plain luck that has us as the most dominant team seen in AFL footy for years after 17 rounds. Yeah ... righto. Whatever you say mate.
Quite a few coaches, including Paul Roos. Leigh Matthews and Grant Thomas have said publicly that the role of head coach is very overrated.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Quite a few coaches, including Paul Roos. Leigh Matthews and Grant Thomas have said publicly that the role of head coach is very overrated.
name the odd one out of the above trio?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote: Quite a few coaches, including Paul Roos. Leigh Matthews and Grant Thomas have said publicly that the role of head coach is very overrated.
Paul Roos? He only has one chin?

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

SO Dodgyflog, you don't reckon the head coach assembles a coaching panel, determines a game style, highlights his priority and long term needs to a list manager, identifies his key player criteria to a recruiting guy, and determines the overall strategy, guidelines and fundamental non-negotiables for the fitness, recruiting, list management and assistant coaching staff and playing list?

You are so ful of shyte you must squeak going around corners........

You argue semantics with those who don't know any better and want to have footy discussions to feed your petty ego because you didn't rate Lyon when he was appointed and you now are shown up for the oxygen thief that you are. So to protect your wounded pride you roll on in your little, petty campaign to devalue and downplay everything that the current coach does or has done.

I couldn't give a shyte if your a Saints fan or not, and I am not interested in your petty bullshyte, the simple facts are that Lyon got Misson to the club. The coaching and support structure that is in place was put in place and is run by Lyon. It is currently very successful so Lyon gets the kudos, as he would also get the bullet if it all went south. No arguments about what GT woulda, coulda, shoulda, he had his chance and didn't. Nothing to do with what players were there and playing well 5 years ago. This is 3 years into Lyon's tenure and the list has his fingerprints on it. NO chicken and egg - the fitness guy was out in place by the coach to deliver player availabililty and is doing so in spades. Good on and off field team structures assembled by Lyon are delivering outstanding results.

Those are the facts dodgyflog, suck it up and take your sniping bullshyte show on the road.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

As crap as he was in many areas, GT DOES deserve SOME credit for keeping the core group together and instilling in them the mission they must stick together to achieve. The core all come in very young when he was at the helm, they all had to be schooled to go down that track.

AND...

No...

Thats all I can think of he deserves credit for :D

stinger
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

easy...paul roos...

...he's still coaching... :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

easy...paul roos...

...he's still coaching... :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And he was lucky that he had an amazing assistant coach named Ross Lyon to win him the Premiership in 2005.

He apparently had little to do with winning the Premiership because he was just the Coach.:roll:

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I'll nominate the 27 players who've hit the park for us so far this year. Shouldn't they get the credit for influencing our rise the most?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
I'm still very confused
No you are not... you just enjoy trolling rather than talking football.
rodgerfox wrote:as to who the boss is?
Nettlefold is the CEO.

Westaway the President.

Lyon is the Head Coach.
rodgerfox wrote:

And who is responsible for our list,
IMO..Ross has the final call about who comes..who stays....and what type of players are required. With trades he would rubber stamp the ground work done by Drain..but has also directly engineered some.

Drain does all the contracts...though no doubt Lyon would input into who is required.

Our recruiting guy spots the talents...and would work into the coach re the lists requirements.
rodgerfox wrote:
and who is responsible for the fitness of our players.
Are you really, really that ignorant?

Misson. Though no doubt Lyon would chat to Misson about some players wheren they are 98% right to go...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
He sets the scene???

That's funny.

What the hell does that mean?

He says, "Hmmm, I need a really good ruckman" and Drain goes and gets him one? Gee, the brilliance of Ross Lyon!!!

It's like Mr Burns telling Daryl Strawberry to hit a home run, and when he does Mr Burns claims "I told him to do that!".

Sorry that you have trouble keeping up Rodge.

Lyon in his first press conference stated that he wanted ruckmen...

Gardiner, King, McEvoy, Stanley, Magrath, VR.....

2 are playing very good football now.

McEvoy is coming along nicely.... and is already a handy back-up at AFL.

Stanley looks to be a beauty...

If you ever finish trolling the penny may drop...but you don't really want to talk football..you want to troll...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
What a dead set flog.

So when you harped on about Geelong's success being based on the fact that Thompson could now focus solely on coaching, as the others areas were being managed by Balme - you were wrong?

No.
rodgerfox wrote:
Or, does the magical 'professional footy department' work differently with us?
No.

I understand that you are just trolling to cover up the corner you have put yourself in.

Everyone bar RodgeFox understands that coaching is more than matchday coaching....but does not stray into doing player contracts etc.

Shaggy
Club Player

Misson currently appears like a freak.

No-one else has no injuries.

Thats such a huge advantage to any team.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ok..no Lyon..

Previous crew still in charge.

Milne gotten rid of ...

No King, Gardiner, Zac, Schneider or Dempster....and can't see us having Ray either...

So much of this year no Max due to injury..plus X still injured too..

Baker Gilbert Leigh Fisher
Gram Maguire Sam Fisher
Joey Hayes Goddard
Raph Riewoldt Gwilt
Lynch Rix Steven

Kosi, Dal, Ball

Blake, Armo, McEvoy, Pick 26

Still think we would be 17 zip????

Shaggy
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Ok..no Lyon..

Milne gotten rid of ...

No King, Gardiner, Zac, Schneider or Dempster....and can't see us having Ray either...

Gram Maguire Sam Fisher
Joey Hayes Goddard
Raph Riewoldt Gwilt
Lynch Rix Steven

Kosi, Dal, Ball

I am not sure what u r talking about but RL has done wonderfully. I do believe with the team above we would be 17 zip with the belief :D

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Oh, f*** me....

Are we still doing this s*** then?

Four or five hundred odd years later and we still have this GT complex.

Why can't people get over it? If we harp about how great the guy was, that doesn't mean he is gunna come back and coach!!!

FFS, we are 17-0!

I'll say that agin, in case you missed that..

17-0!!!!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ross. I love you.

“Yeah….nah””
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:SO Dodgyflog, you don't reckon the head coach assembles a coaching panel, determines a game style, highlights his priority and long term needs to a list manager, identifies his key player criteria to a recruiting guy, and determines the overall strategy, guidelines and fundamental non-negotiables for the fitness, recruiting, list management and assistant coaching staff and playing list?
No, I don't.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
And he was lucky that he had an amazing assistant coach named Ross Lyon to win him the Premiership in 2005.
Actually, along with having good assistants, he had an unchanged team for the 10 weeks leading up to the GF.

And on top of that, whilst he had an unchanged lineup, he played teams that were stricken with injury.

Funny that, ey?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Ok..no Lyon..

Milne gotten rid of ...

Gram Maguire Sam Fisher
Joey Hayes Goddard
Raph Riewoldt Gwilt
Lynch Rix Steven

Kosi, Dal, Ball

What's it got to do with the 'previous crew'? They're gone. They haven't been at the club for years.

Move on.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Actually, along with having good assistants, he had an unchanged team for the 10 weeks leading up to the GF.

And on top of that, whilst he had an unchanged lineup, he played teams that were stricken with injury.

Funny that, ey?
Rodger has been very consistant with this theme Since the Swans win. Many Swans supporters at the time got uppity when this was pointed out, but it is part of footy.

You have your best players on the park, playing your gameplan, and you have them on th epark consistantly, you put yourself in the position to win a flag.

in 2005 Sydney were very smart to have a good head coach, assistants like RL and fitness coach in Dave Misson. They also had luck.

In 2009 St.Kilda are very smart to have a good head coach, assistants like Tudor and Slivangi, and fitness coach in Dave Misson. They also have had luck so far.

lets hope the luck continues and we do what Sydney did in 2005.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintly
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:SO Dodgyflog, you don't reckon the head coach assembles a coaching panel, determines a game style, highlights his priority and long term needs to a list manager, identifies his key player criteria to a recruiting guy, and determines the overall strategy, guidelines and fundamental non-negotiables for the fitness, recruiting, list management and assistant coaching staff and playing list?

You are so ful of shyte you must squeak going around corners........

You argue semantics with those who don't know any better and want to have footy discussions to feed your petty ego because you didn't rate Lyon when he was appointed and you now are shown up for the oxygen thief that you are. So to protect your wounded pride you roll on in your little, petty campaign to devalue and downplay everything that the current coach does or has done.

I couldn't give a shyte if your a Saints fan or not, and I am not interested in your petty bullshyte, the simple facts are that Lyon got Misson to the club. The coaching and support structure that is in place was put in place and is run by Lyon. It is currently very successful so Lyon gets the kudos, as he would also get the bullet if it all went south. No arguments about what GT woulda, coulda, shoulda, he had his chance and didn't. Nothing to do with what players were there and playing well 5 years ago. This is 3 years into Lyon's tenure and the list has his fingerprints on it. NO chicken and egg - the fitness guy was out in place by the coach to deliver player availabililty and is doing so in spades. Good on and off field team structures assembled by Lyon are delivering outstanding results.

Those are the facts dodgyflog, suck it up and take your sniping bullshyte show on the road.
don't forget that lyon also goes to opposition matches to watch our next game. Lyon was in canberra watching the swans play melbourne.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:Oh, f*** me....

Are we still doing this s*** then?

Four or five hundred odd years later and we still have this GT complex.

Why can't people get over it? If we harp about how great the guy was, that doesn't mean he is gunna come back and coach!!!

FFS, we are 17-0!

I'll say that agin, in case you missed that..

17-0!!!!
This . I know I posted it, I just wanted to agree with it as well.