Last night shows MCG will not be a worry.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Last night shows MCG will not be a worry.

I actually think after watching last nights game we will be better on the larger grounds than the smaller grounds unlike the general consensus.

Here's why.. on the larger grounds there is more space so when the zone is set up in the opposition coming out of attack there is more room to run to for the opposition. Stkilda leaves space behind and wide which is greater on a bigger ground. Player swil end up running to this space to release which is what StKilda want. Look at both games at AAMi(bigger then the G) and how that was played.

Last night you have no choice but to go through or over the zone as the ground is a dime. Look when Essendon challanged they went through or over as opposed to many others who have struggled.

Interesting test next week in Tas. Big ground open natural windy conditions.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Agreed

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i agree too
i think the ground size did not help us last night.
(as well as some other factors)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Last night shows MCG will not be a worry.

older saint wrote:Interesting test next week in Tas. Big ground open natural windy conditions.
agree, a huge test against a very good team at a ground where we've struggled.

would be wonderful if we could knock hawthorn out of contention ... one fewer dangerous opponents to worry about in september.

Duggie
Club Player

The SCG has upset many good sides over the years and suits the Swans close checking style.
The first two qtrs were just a wrestle-- almost like ARL style-- but the thrird qtr they opened up and tried to go for broke but it suited us and we got ahead. Final qtr they closed it down again and with a couple of lucky breaks almost stole it.
Great character and discipline Saints! :lol:

A Saint Forever!
aussiejones
Club Player

Was a real test ..Roos v Lyon and the swans were really setting themselves to knock us off with a style of play suited to the SCG.

Good to get it behind us , there will be no complacency after a tight one.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i hate the SCG
sydney always bring u to their level.

lets get tassie out the way, get a hard fought victory and then wipe the floor with the rest that remain

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Re: Last night shows MCG will not be a worry.

older saint wrote:I actually think after watching last nights game we will be better on the larger grounds than the smaller grounds unlike the general consensus.

Here's why.. on the larger grounds there is more space so when the zone is set up in the opposition coming out of attack there is more room to run to for the opposition. Stkilda leaves space behind and wide which is greater on a bigger ground. Player swil end up running to this space to release which is what StKilda want. Look at both games at AAMi(bigger then the G) and how that was played.
Agree too. Our guys seemed very uncomfortable on the smaller ground. It didn't seem to suit us at all. Moorabbin is apparently the exact same measurements as the MCG, so I expect our guys will do just fine there. Bring it on!

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.