Belvedere Park.. Any progress? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Why would anyone support a club because they train in the area? No one watches training for a start.
It's not the training that draws people in - it's the community program.

There is great value in terms of community development with AFL players and other community programs run by AFL clubs.

It was a 2-way street. MFC wanted a training venue, and the Council wanted the benefits of an intensive community program.

The community program involves the club going out to schools, business, service clubs, sports clubs etc in the community which establishes connection and community support for theclub.

But the real benefit for MFC will come when the young kids start barracking for Melbourne and pester their parents to take them to games so they can watch the hero play a match who visited their school and who they emulate in the lunchtime footy matches.
So by moving to Seaford we will get the same benefits then. Sounds good that we will get more support by moving.

GrumpyOne

St Fidelius wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:[
Its a pity that some of the other malcontents on this forum don't follow Damian's lead and exit with grace, rather than hang around with their "Holier Than Thou"attitude. :x
well then are you leaving this site?

that would be great seeing that you have mouthed off so much about the banner that a poster spent so many hours in designing, and you have continually abused and insulted him and your signature was forced to be rephrased because of the obvious insult on Moorabbin Saints original banner ....

You are one one the reasons why this site has turned to sh1t ...

Your constant banter on something that is so trivial was astounding, if not anal...

Anyway, I have always enjoyed your contribution into the Saints Forum and gee, you really know you stuff, you have great football knowledge but some how direct it to the General Forum with pictures of women...

Just a fantastic input from you and it will be a pity to see you leave....

Please stay on...

I just really love your input

:roll:
Who rattled the bars on your cage St Fid.

Very brave of you to sling off at me without provocation.

How long have you been composing that little spray?

Two, three months?

Don't fight above your weight category Fid, intellect-wise you couldn't blow out a candle.

And you know it. :lol:

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

I've mentioned it before, but living on the Peninsula for the last 8 years is the first time I've ever been part of a majority supporting the Saints (and I'm not overstating the facts). I grew up and went to school in the eastern suburbs and never knew another St Kilda supporter. If there ever was a zone or homeland for us it is from St.Kilda through the southern suburbs down to the Peninsula. The club has obviously recognised this. Saints players come every year to my kids school for a day (and it is a fairly insignificant primary school). Yesterday there was a superclinic at Rosebud with players in attendance. I've known school kids changing allegiance to St.Kilda from peer group pressure. And this is before we move to Seaford.

The Casey population is transient and new and there probably is potential, but seeds are well and truly sown in this area.

If Casey Scorp was not so compromised by this subject he would agree. In fact strategically Frankston is a gateway to the Peninsula and Cranbourne, where Casey Fields is right at the edge of the sprawl. And for Melbourne it is just a satellite base, like Richmond with Cragieburn.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Why would anyone support a club because they train in the area? No one watches training for a start.
I must beg to differ, plugger66. I don't barrack for the Saints because they train in the area, but I do watch every available training session and I am not alone.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
casey scorp
Club Player

casey scorp wrote:
But the real benefit for MFC will come when the young kids start barracking for Melbourne and pester their parents to take them to games so they can watch the hero play a match who visited their school and who they emulate in the lunchtime footy matches.
plugger66 wrote: So by moving to Seaford we will get the same benefits then. Sounds good that we will get more support by moving.
Seaford (Frankston) is hardly in the same category as Cranbourne East (Casey). I’ve published demographic data on here before about the population numbers, profile and growth in Casey compared to Frankston. It is simply incomparable.

And don’t forget that half of the Frankston catchment is water. Fishes don’t support football.

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:The Casey population is transient and new and there probably is potential, but seeds are well and truly sown in this area.

If Casey Scorp was not so compromised by this subject he would agree. In fact strategically Frankston is a gateway to the Peninsula and Cranbourne, where Casey Fields is right at the edge of the sprawl. And for Melbourne it is just a satellite base, like Richmond with Cragieburn.
The Casey population is young and growing compared to more established suburbs like Frankston and Seaford.

Casey Fields is at the edge at the moment, but within a decade the growth front of metropolitan Melbourne will be powering past it into Clyde.

It’s interesting that the debate has been brought back to Casey v Seaford. That wasn’t by me. Casey Fields is totally irelevant to this debate. The debate is Moorabbin v Seaford. I’m not in the least compromised by this subject (nor for that matter in the former, as the laws of conflict do not apply to forums where we just put our opinions - if you don't like what I say, argue your case - but base it on the merits of the case, rather than throwing up conflict of interest as a smokescreen).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:
casey scorp wrote:
plugger66 wrote: So by moving to Seaford we will get the same benefits then. Sounds good that we will get more support by moving.
Seaford (Frankston) is hardly in the same category as Cranbourne East (Casey). I’ve published demographic data on here before about the population numbers, profile and growth in Casey compared to Frankston. It is simply incomparable.

And don’t forget that half of the Frankston catchment is water. Fishes don’t support football.

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:The Casey population is transient and new and there probably is potential, but seeds are well and truly sown in this area.

The Casey population is young and growing compared to more established suburbs like Frankston and Seaford.

Casey Fields is at the edge at the moment, but within a decade the growth front of metropolitan Melbourne will be powering past it into Clyde.

It’s interesting that the debate has been brought back to Casey v Seaford. That wasn’t by me. Casey Fields is totally irelevant to this debate. The debate is Moorabbin v Seaford. I’m not in the least compromised by this subject (nor for that matter in the former, as the laws of conflict do not apply to forums where we just put our opinions - if you don't like what I say, argue your case - but base it on the merits of the case, rather than throwing up conflict of interest as a smokescreen).
How often are Melbourne training at Casey from next season. Certainly not every day so they arent permanently located there are they. Dont worry there are enough young people Bayside to follow the Saints even with the water. Anyway why would we want to stay at Moorabbin because by moving we will keep their support but also increase our support all the way down the bayside. Well thats your theory anyway so it sounds positive we are moving.

yipper
SS Life Member

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:I've mentioned it before, but living on the Peninsula for the last 8 years is the first time I've ever been part of a majority supporting the Saints (and I'm not overstating the facts). I grew up and went to school in the eastern suburbs and never knew another St Kilda supporter. If there ever was a zone or homeland for us it is from St.Kilda through the southern suburbs down to the Peninsula. The club has obviously recognised this. Saints players come every year to my kids school for a day (and it is a fairly insignificant primary school). Yesterday there was a superclinic at Rosebud with players in attendance. I've known school kids changing allegiance to St.Kilda from peer group pressure. And this is before we move to Seaford.

The Casey population is transient and new and there probably is potential, but seeds are well and truly sown in this area.

Spot on. Massive numbers of sainters down on the peninsula. It is a strategic move by the saints and it will work. As for the community programs - I can assure you that the Saints will be heavily involved in development of community programs right through the area and working with key community service organisations on the peninsula.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I remember the '97 grand final day when I was driving from deep in the Peninsula to the western suburbs to watch the game with some mates. There were many GO Saints flags and posters everywhere on houses and shops all the way up to around the St.Kilda area, then it died away and apart from one Go Saints painted on a rock near the road in Laverton, there was no evidence of the Saints to be seen any where out there. The Saints are really well supported in the south and south east, and still are, so logically the Seaford move kinda makes sense.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

bobmurray wrote: Why would anyone rate a fan forum..it is what it is.....insignificant...
You mean why would anyone from St Kilda Football Club see value in an online forum where dialogue occurs between die hard supporters?

While I don't subscribe to the disenfranchised feeling that many feel towards the club and AFL in it's modern incarnation, as far back as '99 and the true believers in the cluetrain manifesto online forums have been recognised as a great marketing resource, because your company can join the conversation.

As marketeers and business people have taken over in the intervening decade between a couple of engineers writing a power of the internet document, some common sense has had to be sprinkled in. Internet forums tend to represent a vocal and active minority rather than the majority... companies have been burned designing on the wishlists of forums (for example, I'd suggest that a run of promotional Rhys Stanley jumpers might appeal to a segment of SSers, but most supporters wouldn't know who he is), but as the last board discovered, they can be a good way of taking the pulse of the constituency (if Butterss had 1) shut the hell up and 2) spent more on footy, he might still be Pres... does anyone miss him?).

I'd be suggesting that while as individuals, we all tend to get a bit crazier as our thoughts turn into bandwidth, that if the forum as a whole is being ignored by St Kilda management, that's just poor.

I don't expect them to make list or selection decisions based on our ramblings. I do expect them to align themselves to their fanbase, and this forum certainly offers an insight into what the fanbase feels is important.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
nads

It is almost time for casey scorp to eat one very, very, very large humble pie. What type do they serve up out there at Casey Council?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

nads wrote:It is almost time for casey scorp to eat one very, very, very large humble pie. What type do they serve up out there at Casey Council?
u drag this post up after 2 months for that comment :? :? :?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

maybe this
Stay tuned for some exciting news about our move to Frankston in the next couple of weeks. I can’t say much more at this stage, but things will be happening soon! The players are really looking forward to having an elite facility at which to train, which is a key part of ensuring we maintain our current status as a leading AFL team moving into the future.
Michael nettlefold- saints central Aug 4th

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Posted: Thursday, 20 August 2009 4:41:51 PM

Some very exciting news will be announced early next week. While I can’t tell you anything further at the moment, everyone at the Club has been working extremely hard on this, so make sure you keep your eye on the website and the mainstream news outlets next week.

Go Saints!
Michael
http://www.saintscentral.com.au/Message ... sts&t=1895

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

We can only hope that Belvedere Park has fallen over and the club is moving back to St kilda, now that really would be exciting news!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
BelfastSaint
Club Player

While there has been nothing at the site for months apart from the big blue sign,I was past there a few days ago and a huge area has been fenced of.
I assume the fenced area is where the new development will commence.

BaysideSaint
Club Player

BelfastSaint wrote:While there has been nothing at the site for months apart from the big blue sign,I was past there a few days ago and a huge area has been fenced of.
I assume the fenced area is where the new development will commence.
:shock: a fence......double- :shock: :shock:

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Michael Nettlefold posted on saintscentral.com.au that there will be some exciting news in regards to what is going on with Belvedere next week. Should be all over the news apparently.

I have my fingers crossed that it is an announcement that we are staying put at Moorabbin. I will follow the Saints anywhere, but would prefere to stay at Moorabbin.

It could be a possibility that we are remaining as why would the commencement of building be big news? Especially considering it was supposed to have started in May.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintlee
Club Player

saint75 wrote:Michael Nettlefold posted on saintscentral.com.au that there will be some exciting news in regards to what is going on with Belvedere next week. Should be all over the news apparently.

I have my fingers crossed that it is an announcement that we are staying put at Moorabbin. I will follow the Saints anywhere, but would prefere to stay at Moorabbin.

It could be a possibility that we are remaining as why would the commencement of building be big news? Especially considering it was supposed to have started in May.
I highly doubt it will be anything over then a photo op for the beginning of construction

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Michael Nettlefold posted on saintscentral.com.au that there will be some exciting news in regards to what is going on with Belvedere next week. Should be all over the news apparently.

Hate to tell you.

The news will either be the works commencing or the works being expanded or a change in the funding model.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Mon 05 Apr 2010 1:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:On ya casey scorp I love ya work!
Moving to woop woop is stupid... IMHO.
As far as I can see, a couple of poker machines stuffed us up big time.

Interesting was some posters comment that, (paraphrase) "it's all good, we get to keep the pokies and social club at Linton St and we don't need the oval"

:) :) :) So a football team needs a couple of pokies but doesn't need a 1st class football field! WOW - what a statement.

Note... there is no Social Club left at Linton St.. otherwise we'd be going there to watch the interstate games. What is there, is a gambling venue... is that the current social club? :)
barks4eva wrote:We can only hope that Belvedere Park has fallen over and the club is moving back to St kilda, now that really would be exciting news!
Yeeeeeeesssssss!!!!!!! This I like!!!!
Totally agree moving to woop woop would be stupid but we are only going to Seaford which is 30 minutes from Moorabbin and 5 minutes from Frankston. I still fail to understand why it even slightly matters where we train. About 30 people go once a week so now a different 30 will go to seaford. Can anyone tell me why it matters where we train as long as it is reasonably close to where the majority of players live. As you have said we dont have a social club at Moorabbin so we are not losing that either.

saintlee
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Interesting was some posters comment that, (paraphrase) "it's all good, we get to keep the pokies and social club at Linton St and we don't need the oval"

:) :) :) So a football team needs a couple of pokies but doesn't need a 1st class football field! WOW - what a statement.

Note... there is no Social Club left at Linton St.. otherwise we'd be going there to watch the interstate games. What is there, is a gambling venue... is that the current social club? :)
barks4eva wrote:We can only hope that Belvedere Park has fallen over and the club is moving back to St kilda, now that really would be exciting news!
Totally agree moving to woop woop would be stupid but we are only going to Seaford which is 30 minutes from Moorabbin and 5 minutes from Frankston. I still fail to understand why it even slightly matters where we train. About 30 people go once a week so now a different 30 will go to seaford. Can anyone tell me why it matters where we train as long as it is reasonably close to where the majority of players live. As you have said we dont have a social club at Moorabbin so we are not losing that either.
I too would like a convincing answer to this....

GrumpyOne

saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I can't even see that it is essential that our training base is close to where the majority of players live. They are on good incomes, if they don't like to travel they can move. It's good enough for the rest of the population to move closer to their place of work, so why not football players? I'm not expecting my employer to move closer to where I live. :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I can't even see that it is essential that our training base is close to where the majority of players live. They are on good incomes, if they don't like to travel they can move. It's good enough for the rest of the population to move closer to their place of work, so why not football players? I'm not expecting my employer to move closer to where I live. :roll:
I'm not sure in your job you are asked to go back to job 3 different times during the day though. They dont want to be stuck in a car 5 hours a day and then try to train properly. Anyway doesnt matter as most live within 30 minutes of the new ground.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Anyway doesnt matter as most live within 30 minutes of the new ground.
Most live within 5 minutes of Linton Street.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell