Ladder not finalised yet - who will fill third position?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ladder not finalised yet - who will fill third position?

Doggies shock loss to WC opens up the 3rd position on the ladder...

The commentary made the point that the incentive to finish third is enormous, given that teams can avoid the Saints.

I think we have an official edge and advantage, they are all afraid...very afraid!!!
Last edited by SainterK on Sat 08 Aug 2009 6:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Although we cant stand both Adelaide and Collingwood - Id say we prefer Collingwood in 3rd and anyone else for 4th

Nick_Dal_Santo = ChAmPiOn
Club Player

Hope Adelaide get to 4th.

We will DESTROY them, again.

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Nick_Dal_Santo = ChAmPiOn wrote:Hope Adelaide get to 4th.

We will DESTROY them, again.
I never get sick of it...

saintDal
Club Player

I honestly can't see the Doggies winning another game.

I just did a ladder predictor and have them finishing 7th. I have the Cats playing Collingwood and us playing the Lions.

spyglass
Club Player

saintDal wrote:I honestly can't see the Doggies winning another game.

I just did a ladder predictor and have them finishing 7th. I have the Cats playing Collingwood and us playing the Lions.
which will likely have us playing the loser in a prelim - which I think will be the Pies....don't really rate them and can't see them making a GF

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spyglass wrote:
saintDal wrote:I honestly can't see the Doggies winning another game.

which will likely have us playing the loser in a prelim - which I think will be the Pies....don't really rate them and can't see them making a GF
Well i hope not after what you said will happen.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Seems likely that Collingwood will finish 3rd? The final eight is still likely to change quite alot....

http://www.afl.com.au/ladder%20predicto ... fault.aspx

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Yep, Dogs or ADL in 4th is looking the best way it call for us. Pretty goo chance!

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

GRAND FINAL

SAINTS v MAGPIES

We will smash them game over at half time, going 25-0.

I dreamt this a month ago...it felt good, so real.

SAINTS
CATS
MAGPIES
LIONS

we will play lions first game.
Last edited by CaptainRiewoldt on Sun 09 Aug 2009 12:47am, edited 1 time in total.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Collingwood worry me. No sure they would be my preferred opponent.

SuperSaint
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:Collingwood worry me. No sure they would be my preferred opponent.
Why? Our best is sigificantly better than Collingwood's.

Geelong is our most formidable opponent if they play to their capabilities.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I thin Collingwood are just as threatening. Wehave no rea gauge for them either, hen we thrashed them this year , they ha 4 or so of their best out.

SaintDebi
Club Player

Finals are a whole different ball game. Whichever team makes it to the GF can be a fomidable opponent. You only have to look at last year's GF. Geelong was by far the superior team overall, but on the day they fell over and Hawthorn wanted it more. I said all along the Hawks just fluked that game, but in the end it doesn't matter. They took the flag.

widereceiver
Club Player

I respect and hate all of our opponents until the team destroys them. I firmly believe this -

If we bring our A game no-one can touch us.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

iwantmeseats wrote:I thin Collingwood are just as threatening. Wehave no rea gauge for them either, hen we thrashed them this year , they ha 4 or so of their best out.
Who were the outs? I remember Leon and someone else up forward, maybe Jack Anthony.

When we beat them earlier in the year, we hda the luxury of playing Clint on Swan, as there was no Leon.

Carpe Diem
SaintJonny

Saint Corin wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:I thin Collingwood are just as threatening. Wehave no rea gauge for them either, hen we thrashed them this year , they ha 4 or so of their best out.
Who were the outs? I remember Leon and someone else up forward, maybe Jack Anthony.

When we beat them earlier in the year, we hda the luxury of playing Clint on Swan, as there was no Leon.
cloke
anthony
davis
didak
medhurst
ben johnson

some pretty big outs for collingwood , they are the team that will challenge us most

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood are ok but NOWHERE NEAR us, the dogs or cats.

I am only worried about Geelong, don't worry about their form they are still our biggest challenge, they are just priming themselves for the finals, they've done the H&A dominance and they've moved on. They will hit September running, I still think our best is better than their best so hopefully we can turn it on at the right time.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
sainter35
Club Player

Pies are clearly the third best team in the league and will pose a significant challenge to us. At our best they are no match for us but you don't have to much off your game to be in trouble.

After the Pies I'd definitely have the Crows next. The Lions aren't really playing great footy but with their draw they could easily win 2 or even 3 of their final games and that will see them into 5th quite comfortably. I was hoping they'd beat the Bombers tonight and sneak into fourth by the end of the season because a home final against them would be a great result.

Now that we're almost certain to finish first I've been playing around a number of scenarios and the outcome that worries me is if we were to play (and beat) the Crows in the qualifying final and have Collingwood beat Geelong in the other qualifying final. A win to Geelong in the semi-final would see them play us in the preliminary final. However you could look at it in another way and accept that we'll probably need to beat the Cats to win the flag so whether it's the preliminary final or the grand final is irrelevant.

I suppose it's best not to get too bogged down in that kind of talk. To this point we've answered every challenge and if we can continue to play at this level results will look after themselves.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Collingwood are ok but NOWHERE NEAR us, the dogs or cats.

I am only worried about Geelong, don't worry about their form they are still our biggest challenge, they are just priming themselves for the finals, they've done the H&A dominance and they've moved on. They will hit September running, I still think our best is better than their best so hopefully we can turn it on at the right time.
How do you know Collingwood are nowhere near us FFS?

Have we played them at full strength recently??

They have enormous run and carry.

I still think and assume we are better than them, but surely they are closing the gap.

If you can't at least see that, then open your eyes a bit!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SaintJonny wrote:cloke
anthony
davis
didak
medhurst
ben johnson

some pretty big outs for collingwood , they are the team that will challenge us most
cloke played against us, just wasn't very good.

collingwood changes between round 7 and round 19:

IN: anthony, beams, davis, dawes, dick, didak, goldsack, johnson, medhurst, wood
OUT: barham, n brown, corrie, clarke, fraser, macaffer, rocca, sidebottom, stanley, wellingham

looks like a much better side than the one we flogged. we'd really rather they didn't finish 4th.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
SaintJonny wrote:cloke
anthony
davis
didak
medhurst
ben johnson

cloke played against us, just wasn't very good.

collingwood changes between round 7 and round 19:

IN: anthony, beams, davis, dawes, dick, didak, goldsack, johnson, medhurst, wood
OUT: barham, n brown, corrie, clarke, fraser, macaffer, rocca, sidebottom, stanley, wellingham

looks like a much better side than the one we flogged. we'd really rather they didn't finish 4th.
We have to play them whether they finish 3rd or 4th. They are pretty certain to finish third now so if they lose to the cats and we beat either the crows, lions or dogs we will probably play them in the preliminary.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

everyone's now saying it will be a collingwood st kilda grandfinal with collingwood winning!

ugh!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:everyone's now saying it will be a collingwood st kilda grandfinal with collingwood winning!

ugh!!!
Everyone?