Bad luck Roo.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Schillaci
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:I will say two things about it. First, he was physically exhausted in the last quarter, more than I have ever seen him in any game. Kicking in such a state is very difficult; his legs would feel like lumps of wood. Second, we lacked a leader at the crucial time - and I don't mean Nick. Someone else should have gone to him and told him to take his time. If a player was talking to him the umpire would have had to clear the area. He could have asked a couple of times where the mark was. He could have pointed to players he thought were too close. He could have and should have delayed it. In fact, I have never been sure about the rule in this circumstance, despite having read the laws many times. Clearly, there can be no time wasting. So why not take five minutes? Well, players would not risk it. But based on what rule would the umpire take the ball off him? perhaps it is covered under interpretations some where. As it turned out he was the least best player to take the kick given his state of exhaustion. Which raises another question. Almost all the players who missed last week looked tired. Let's hope no-one else is rested from here on.
Interesting points you raise.

Just saw the kick on Sky News and distance and angle were no problem.
If I had been watching live I'd have been more confident of winning than losing.
Missed by a long way. Disappointing finish to the game and maybe fatigue did play a role in the miss.
Nick can hold his head high. Hopefully this is a catalyst for him improving his set shot kicking.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Sure, he could have kicked the goal....but IMO, there is alot more that we could probably address in the review

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:I will say two things about it. First, he was physically exhausted in the last quarter, more than I have ever seen him in any game. Kicking in such a state is very difficult; his legs would feel like lumps of wood. Second, we lacked a leader at the crucial time - and I don't mean Nick. Someone else should have gone to him and told him to take his time........Let's hope no-one else is rested from here on.

Fantastic post. I agree 100%. He was more exhausted than I have ever seen. The guy busts his behind and wills himself when others won't or can't. He runs as much as Harvey and is a key forward. No complaints from me.

Hold you head up high, Nick. You are a star.

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:He just needed to take his required time, and try to calm his nerves. He will learn, and grow from this....we all know that.
I did notice that he kicked it very quickly. Oh well. He will have a blinder next week.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Was down the Lockett end before the game and missed every single shot from that position.

He just doesn't score from that angle.

For anyone wanting to critisise him

1) He had just busted his guts for 2 hours

2) The mark was an absolute gem

3) It was adifficult kick that was 50/50.

Bad luck Roo.

As RL said if he had of kicked it - it may have covered up what our defeciencies were.

Anyway Essendon deserved to win. If they didn't have three on the pine all last qtr they would have won by 5 goals.
Oh FFS Joffaboy, the point is that HE had the last shot for goal...

HE should have kicked it instead of rushing his shot for goal...

AGAIN, if that ever occurred in the GF, would you be so forgiving ???

I really don't give a stuff if our side missed chances and the opposition missed chances for goal.

The point is that our Captain missed and rushed his shot for goal, and I just only wish he learns from it, because if he doesn't it just may cost us big time

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
reincarnated

joffaboy wrote:Was down the Lockett end before the game and missed every single shot from that position.

Bad luck Roo.

As RL said if he had of kicked it - it may have covered up what our defeciencies were.

Anyway Essendon deserved to win. If they didn't have three on the pine all last qtr they would have won by 5 goals.
He doesn't score from that angle and he should. He is paid to kick goals. Reincarnated can put his/her/gt's point across in multiple threads as well

reincarnated

St Fidelius wrote:

Bad luck Roo.

Oh FFS Joffaboy, the point is that HE had the last shot for goal...

HE should have kicked it instead of rushing his shot for goal...

AGAIN, if that ever occurred in the GF, would you be so forgiving ???

I really don't give a stuff if our side missed chances and the opposition missed chances for goal.

The point is that our Captain missed and rushed his shot for goal, and I just only wish he learns from it, because if he doesn't it just may cost us big time
Don't worry you will be wrong, holier-than-thou is always correct but its okay because nobody from the real world likes the little know-it-all

Sorry St.Fid, you are wrong and not even close to the intellect of a man/child who tell's other forum poster's they have 'epically failed' and 'lol'?

Face the facts...

Marchin' In
Club Player

Guys, saying "he is paid to kick goals" doesn't get rid of, nor contribute towards the fixing, of a possible problem.

UP THE SAINTERS!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Roo should have kicked the goal, but we are once again missing the point...

The TEAM has won up until this week, the TEAM lost tonight....there were holes in our structure everywhere, and it won't be Roo's kick for goal that will be discussed this week in the review.

reincarnated

Marchin' In wrote:Guys, saying "he is paid to kick goals" doesn't get rid of, nor contribute towards the fixing, of a possible problem.
He had a chance to win the game and didn't succeed. It's not the end of the world however saying bad luck and it's not his fault is incorrect. Granted we played poorly and his shot shouldn't be blamed and nobody here should, however he was in a position to and failed

Marchin' In
Club Player

reincarnated wrote:
Marchin' In wrote:Guys, saying "he is paid to kick goals" doesn't get rid of, nor contribute towards the fixing, of a possible problem.
He had a chance to win the game and didn't succeed. It's not the end of the world however saying bad luck and it's not his fault is incorrect. Granted we played poorly and his shot shouldn't be blamed and nobody here should, however he was in a position to and failed
I agree, I just wasn't in agreeance with "he is paid to kick goals" being the argument behind it.

UP THE SAINTERS!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:Oh FFS Joffaboy, the point is that HE had the last shot for goal...
Yeah so what? He missed. My post was my opinion. Dont like it? Fine - but you wont change it.
St Fidelius wrote:HE should have kicked it instead of rushing his shot for goal...
How many of those does he kick? It is not on the side he prefers and he missed it.
St Fidelius wrote:AGAIN, if that ever occurred in the GF, would you be so forgiving ???
It was a meaningless R20 H&A not a GF. Please - a bit of perspective.
St Fidelius wrote:The point is that our Captain missed and rushed his shot for goal, and I just only wish he learns from it, because if he doesn't it just may cost us big time
Were you bagging him at halftime when he kicked from the other side and slotted it after the siren?

The guy kicks goals - the guy misses goals. The guy is human.

I will not change my opinion.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Schillaci wrote:Just saw the kick on Sky News and distance and angle were no problem.
Wrong side for a right footer.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

agreed JB. What a fruitless argument that will just go in circles. Champion, period.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote: Don't worry you will be wrong, holier-than-thou is always correct but its okay because nobody from the real world likes the little know-it-all

Sorry St.Fid, you are wrong and not even close to the intellect of a man/child who tell's other forum poster's they have 'epically failed' and 'lol'?

Face the facts...
Mods - this is just blatant baiting and trolling.

Could you deal with this troll?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:agreed JB. What a fruitless argument that will just go in circles. Champion, period.
Yup - I wont respond to any more posts on this thread.

Pointless and ridiculous.

Lance or James??

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Given the sentiment on this, a supporters forum, one would think Roo is going to cop it externally this week big time....

Marchin' In
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Given the sentiment on this, a supporters forum, one would think Roo is going to cop it externally this week big time....
Agreed, the amount of Roo bashing tonight has been inexcusable.

UP THE SAINTERS!
Marcus1232
Club Player

All i have got to say is people really need to get off his back.

I dare say that there would be no person more disappointed than our captain at the moment. But being the champion that he is i expect him to get back on the horse and lead us to our first premiership in 43 years

Marchin' In
Club Player

Marcus1232 wrote:All i have got to say is people really need to get off his back.

I dare say that there would be no person more disappointed than our captain at the moment. But being the champion that he is i expect him to get back on the horse and lead us to our first premiership in 43 years
Nail on the head.

UP THE SAINTERS!
Grimfang
Club Player

Yes, let's blame it all on Roo. :roll:

FFS if the TEAM had bothered to show up for the first three quraters, the bombers wouldn't have been in it.

Why not blame Kosi for handpassing it straight to a Dons player as we were streaming towards goal with about 5-6 minutes to go?

The TEAM lost through lack of application and effort for 3/4. They should all answer for that.
Last edited by Grimfang on Sun 16 Aug 2009 11:44pm, edited 2 times in total.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:Oh FFS Joffaboy, the point is that HE had the last shot for goal...
Yeah so what? He missed. My post was my opinion. Dont like it? Fine - but you wont change it.
St Fidelius wrote:HE should have kicked it instead of rushing his shot for goal...
How many of those does he kick? It is not on the side he prefers and he missed it.
St Fidelius wrote:AGAIN, if that ever occurred in the GF, would you be so forgiving ???
It was a meaningless R20 H&A not a GF. Please - a bit of perspective.
St Fidelius wrote:The point is that our Captain missed and rushed his shot for goal, and I just only wish he learns from it, because if he doesn't it just may cost us big time
Were you bagging him at halftime when he kicked from the other side and slotted it after the siren?

The guy kicks goals - the guy misses goals. The guy is human.

I will not change my opinion.
To be frank, I could not give a rats is you changed your opinion, my point is still valid.

He should have not rushed his shot after the siren..

and I for one will not be forgiving if he is in the same position that decides the GF...

AGAIN I hope he learns from it, because that is not what a captain should do with the last kick of a game

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
reincarnated

joffaboy wrote:
reincarnated wrote: Don't worry you will be wrong, holier-than-thou is always correct but its okay because nobody from the real world likes the little know-it-all

Face the facts...
Mods - this is just blatant baiting and trolling.

Could you deal with this troll?
Reincarnated is no troll, Reincarnated is here for the little people in this forum, the ones that get abused through condecending postings time after time from your good self

You have no friends and the people that go to the football with you do not like you and put up with you

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Grimfang wrote:Yes, let's blame it all on Roo. :roll:

FFS if the TEAM had bothered to show up for the first three quraters, the bombers wouldn't have been in it.

Why not blame Kosi for handpassing it straight to a Dons player as we were streaming towards goal with about 5-6 minutes to go?

The TEAM lost through lack of application and effort for 3/4. They should all answer for that.

exacty right. well said