Max Disposal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Max Disposal

Interesting since Max's return how teams have allowed the kick backwards to Max and then pressured his disposal from there. This is a tactic which seems to have worked well.

The counter i think is to get him to push up the ground more sothe player behind the ball is a better user of the ball and less likely to be left. If they do let Mx get it let him be 1.5 kicks from goal and thereforeif disposal ok will hurt the opposition and also easier for the run past handball

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I can't help but think that our back line looked too top heavy with Blake, Gilbert, Zac and Max. Hate to say it, but don't think we can go in with four talls in future, but just my opinion.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
Arthur Mullard
Club Player

Max Disposal

Any relation to Max Headroom?

Yus my dear!!!!!
older saint
SS Life Member

NO otherwise would be MMMMMMMMMMMax Hudghton here! :)

Batnoe

SydneySainter wrote:I can't help but think that our back line looked too top heavy with Blake, Gilbert, Zac and Max. Hate to say it, but don't think we can go in with four talls in future, but just my opinion.
I see your dilema

Play one in the forward line!!

JT
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:I can't help but think that our back line looked too top heavy with Blake, Gilbert, Zac and Max. Hate to say it, but don't think we can go in with four talls in future, but just my opinion.
Plus Fisher who doesn't look as good up forward. All of them deserve to be in the team but agree the team doesn't look as balanced with them all in.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I know this will be very unpopular but should this thread be retiltled dispose of Max. its either Max, Zac, Bally or Dempster out next week and I have a real problem with the height in our backline.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i have been saying this all year. its not possible they all can play back.
i reckon one of max or blake might be chopped.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:i have been saying this all year. its not possible they all can play back.
We've played every game this year with a tall backline. We've lost one out of twenty. Even if we drop one of Max, Zac or Blake, we'll still have a tall backline. Geelong have a tall backline. Collingwood have a tall backline. Even the Dogs have a pretty tall backline - Hargrave, Lake, Morris and Williams are all 190cm+. Good backlines are tall backlines these days. It's not all about matching up one-on-one on similar players.

We have played Blake, Dawson, Fisher, Gilbert and Hudghton in the same game and AFAIC we can do it. We just need to play better than we did on Sunday. Losing the contested ball and allowing a lot of I50s is going to make it tough to win, no matter who we have back there.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
groupie1
Club Player

Our backline all year comprised of Blake, Max, Zac, Fisher, Gilbert and one of Raph Clark, Dempster, and Baker.

RL likes a tall backline: height doesn't detract from Gilbert, Fisher's, Raph's, Dempster's flexibility or pace.

Don't worry about it.

6 big strong backs is a positive, mate

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Moods
Saintsational Legend

[quote="vacuous space We've played every game this year with a tall backline. We've lost one out of twenty. Even if we drop one of Max, Zac or Blake, we'll still have a tall backline. Geelong have a tall backline. Collingwood have a tall backline. Even the Dogs have a pretty tall backline - Hargrave, Lake, Morris and Williams are all 190cm+. Good backlines are tall backlines these days. It's not all about matching up one-on-one on similar players.

We have played Blake, Dawson, Fisher, Gilbert and Hudghton in the same game and AFAIC we can do it. We just need to play better than we did on Sunday. Losing the contested ball and allowing a lot of I50s is going to make it tough to win, no matter who we have back there.[/quote]

I beg to differ. Yes we have played a tall backline all year. But EVERY time we have played Max, Zac and Blake together we have played poorly (the Hawthorn game aside)

Height isn't the issue - it's flexibility and skill. 2 of them we can cope with. 3 is too many. Glad I'm not on selection, b/c someone is going to be shattered.

derby Street
Club Player

Not sure Max's disposal is such a huge problem - afterall he doesn't get it that much. It is more about balance. Since Max returned from injury and Zac was playing we are one too big down back. Perhaps that's why Ross had Fish play forward?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

anyone checked the effective disposal %age of these backline players???

aussiejones
Club Player

No but ther are very high due to defensive kick to kick.

Up until last week I50s were restricted by play down the ground.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so?
so what?... it means nothing?
people are saying the ball gets put into certain players hands because their disposal is bad....
when in fact its not bad.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:Losing the contested ball and allowing a lot of I50s is going to make it tough to win, no matter who we have back there.
That was the key to the loss on the weekend no doubt. We got smashed in the midfield.

Having said that, the back six did seem quite unbalanced but I think part of that was due to the fact that it had not been used to that amount of easy and constant delivery into the 50. Also, keep in mind most of the other top 8 teams will not be playing with a fwd line so small.