What Do You Expect?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu

A thing cannot deem, since a thing cannot have an opinion.
finally , my wavelength

this is why any sane man calls women , things

i do

:D :D

asiu

i know ross knows , we have to 'take' it

and by force of character ....we will take it

regardless

in ross , i trust

BaysideSaint
Club Player

believe or burn :)

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I think that we are in the position of the Grand Final is our to lose.

I think that any team that has our record after 20 rounds deserves to be premiers.

I think that we have every right to expect to win the premiership this season.

If we were not a club with only 1 flag we would not even have this thread.

As the socceroos said on their last world cup campaign...

STUFF HISTORY!!!

yipper
SS Life Member

We are in pole position using a car racing analogy!! You have to work hard to get pole, when you have it - you give yourself every chance of winning the race.

We know we have the talent, the gameplan and the hunger. It'll just be luck going our way for a change - remember 97' losing both of our powerful ruck set-up in the space of 2 weeks!!

And, the club has crossed all the T's and dotted all the i's to this stage.

Massive finals series is about to begin.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Winmar
Club Player

I was pretty confident in 1997 and that all went pear shaped. I could never expect to win a flag; instead I just hope for the best. I expect to win the prelim, but we've lost a few of those lately and could encounter Collingwood or Geelong at that stage.

widereceiver
Club Player

steph wrote:
widereceiver wrote:
steph wrote:if we don't win the flag this year...... i firmly believe we may never win one.

winning the GF is the ONLY thing that will deem this year a successful one.
I firmly disagree with your opinion stated elsewhere of the value or otherwise of Max Hudghton. I also disagree with your statement about our future prospects of flag success.
These, however, are opinions to which you are entitled, however mistaken they may be.

Conversely, it is incorrect to write...

"winning the GF is the ONLY thing that will deem..."

Even if your opinions are wrong, there's no reason for your english to be.

you have just dug yourself a massive hole haven't you?

you have just used the term 'conversely' out of context.

you cannot disagree with someones opinions, then "conversely" pick on their grammar......

maybe the term, "furthermore", "in addition" or "moreover" would have been more appropriate.
Ah, yes, I made an uncharacteristic error. You, on the other hand, failed to use an apostrophe in 'someone's' and I feel obliged to tell you an ellipse has only three periods...

As for holes, they are demonstrable in your logic, even if your cerebral cortex is not on display.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
steph
Club Player

widereceiver wrote:
steph wrote:
widereceiver wrote:
steph wrote:if we don't win the flag this year...... i firmly believe we may never win one.

I firmly disagree with your opinion stated elsewhere of the value or otherwise of Max Hudghton. I also disagree with your statement about our future prospects of flag success.
These, however, are opinions to which you are entitled, however mistaken they may be.

you have just dug yourself a massive hole haven't you?

you have just used the term 'conversely' out of context.

you cannot disagree with someones opinions, then "conversely" pick on their grammar......

maybe the term, "furthermore", "in addition" or "moreover" would have been more appropriate.
Ah, yes, I made an uncharacteristic error. You, on the other hand, failed to use an apostrophe in 'someone's' and I feel obliged to tell you an ellipse has only three periods...

As for holes, they are demonstrable in your logic, even if your cerebral cortex is not on display.

ok you are obviously in need of attention which i am unwilling to give you.

save your lame comments for someone else, we are here to talk about the saints.
Last edited by steph on Fri 21 Aug 2009 8:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

asiu

steph , quick

change the 'ly' in unwillngly before he gets back

steph
Club Player

gazrat wrote:steph , quick

change the 'ly' in unwillngly before he gets back
haha good to see us saints looking out for each other :oops:

asiu

yindee krup

:D

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

widereceiver wrote:

I had more of a problem with:
i firmly believe we may never win one.
You can not profess a FIRM belief that something MAY never happen

Furtius Quo Rdelious
steph
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:
widereceiver wrote:

You can not profess a firm belief that something may never happen
forgive me for being negative, however the saints have an uncanny ability to lose the un-loseable. it just worries me that if we don't take this golden opportunity, we may not get one again. ok i wont use the word "never", but not for a very very long time.

To win a GF, things need to go your way, with a massive part of that being injuries. so far, we are on track to have a fit list to choose from. if we stuff this year up, watch the footy gods turn against us next year.

if you don't capitalise when it's your time, you will miss out. simple.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

I think this sums it up - Winning means being unafraid to lose. For winners, losing inspires them. For losers, losing defeats them. Are you afraid of losing?

Another opportunity awaits!
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

The simple fact is that our best this year is better than anyone else's.

If we play that way, we won't be beaten.

I must admit, I do fear losing the big one, or even worse another preliminary, being a St.Kilda supporter you sort of live with losing.

I have mentioned to my wife and brother that I wish one of them could be with me at the Grand Final if we make it.

My wife said to console you if you lose? No, losing I can sort of handle, winning will be far more emotional for me.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i expect us to give it a good shake as we've been easily the best team in the competition this season.

having said that i'm enough of a realist to know that there are no sure things in sport. geelong showed that last season. tiger woods showed it this week.

i notice there is a bit of white-anting going on among opposition supporters, saying the flag is ours to lose. this is a complete crock.

it will be ours to lose IF we make the grand final and IF we are 10 goals up at half time. until then it is ours to win.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

3rd generation saint wrote: My wife said to console you if you lose? No, losing I can sort of handle, winning will be far more emotional for me.
SO true. Losing it, Ill crack the s***s, go home, kick the cat, mope around etc for a few days.

If we win it, I will go to pieces.

kaos theory
Club Player

Re: What Do You Expect?

Milton66 wrote:2009 is the BEST I've seen this club perform at for nigh on 40 years.

1997 was dissapointing but very surreal and to a degree, novel.

2009 is different. This year I expect to win the flag. Therefore, I must admit that if we we don't... or god forbid, we lose on the big day, it will cut deeper than 97.

This year, we are as close as we have ever been. Even in 97, we did not have the eveness and consistancy that we have displayed this year. All previous years, my expectations were based on hope that we might somehow get to the big one.

Although we are definitaly moving in the right direction to challenge for the next few years, I reckon this is our best oppportunity yet.

This year I rate us at 85% + to win the flag.

What about you? Thoughts?
Never, never, never expect to win a flag or have it won well before the finals have even started.

History is littered with teams that were 'shoe ins' for the flag, only for a variety of reasons miss out.

As many know, it is very hard to win a flag, you need everything to go right for you ON THE DAY.....assuming you get there...

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

steph wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:
You can not profess a firm belief that something may never happen
forgive me for being negative, however the saints have an uncanny ability to lose the un-loseable. it just worries me that if we don't take this golden opportunity, we may not get one again. ok i wont use the word "never", but not for a very very long time.

To win a GF, things need to go your way, with a massive part of that being injuries. so far, we are on track to have a fit list to choose from. if we stuff this year up, watch the footy gods turn against us next year.

if you don't capitalise when it's your time, you will miss out. simple.
I wasn't commenting on your sentiment, just your grammar. If you have a FIRM BELIEF I would expect you to follow up with WILL not MAY.

But now you are offering to remove the word "never" .
So you know have

" a firm belief that we may win one"

What's happened in the last 24 hours to make you change your mind?

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Enter matrix's popcorn... :lol:

asiu

gently

:)

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:gently

:)
preferably with butter...

asiu

i'm partial to a little syrup with my popcorn ...golden is my fave

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Milton66
SS Life Member

jonesy wrote:No way I expect us to win the flag. I'd say 25%.....would be 50% if it was a club with a stronger history

Before I get blasted,it's Stkilda we are talking about...how many times have we been hurt. I won't believe it until I see it. Having said that,this is the best performed Stkilda side I have ever seen by a long way, but now September awaits...

1997 I thought we were absolute dead set certainties once we won the prelim. I mean Adelaide? They were no bodies. We destroyed everyone in the second half of games that year. I think the players thought the same thing and got destroyed after half time. Shattering

2005 for mine was the biggest certainty. A very very weak competition that year,weakest in living memory in my opinion. Sydney and West Coast were only good average sides and though they put on a tight GF,it was the worst standard football you will ever see,worthy of a clash of the bottom 4.
The flag was there for the taking in 05,a home prelim against an average interstate side,the umpries gave us the world,the players gave us absolutley NOTHING!! That one scarred me, the wounds are still there.
Because of this I will never expect Stkilda to win a flag until I actually witness it. I'll be giving my all in support from the outer and praying for the best,but "expect"...never
Sorry mate, but WTF does history have to do with the here and now? Do you really think the players admin will be thinking of our history???

2005 was a dead cert because we expected to go the next level after being so close in 04, but we were polaxed by a better team in Sydney. Jus like we though 98 was a given.

This year is a different ball game, and out our best, no one can beat us.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?