Four Goal Kickers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Four Goal Kickers

Amazing to see that we had 59 inside 50s today but only scored 8 goals.

On top of that, we only had 4 different goal kickers. Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Ray & McQualter.

It was our lowest score for the year by 15 points. Infact it was our lowest losing score since Round 11, 2007, when we lost to North Melbourne.

I don't think it's alarm bells time, but regardless of the situation, 4 different goal kickers is a concern. Especially when both Riewoldt and Kosi kicked 3 goals each.

The forward pressure just didn't seem to be there.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Four Goal Kickers

agree.

gwilt offered little and we needed more from milne and schneider. some goals from the midfield wouldn't have gone astray either.

the swirling wind did not help, but north seemed to adjust to it pretty well and it certainly didn't effect their kicking for goal.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Terrible kicking for goal. We often kicked without looking for a better option.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

To many speculative kicks to Roo/Kosi, relying on them to take huge park marks every time

Thought Gwilts first half was OK..a couple of crucial inside 50's to set up 2 goals in the first quarter. Faded away after 1/2 time though

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
doristhesaint
Club Player

It looked like we worked really hard to get a goal not many easy chances.

I thought Gwilt presented well in the corridor and kicked well when he had it.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Terrible kicking for goal. We often kicked without looking for a better option.
I would say that the opposite was true. We too often look for the perfect option even if the ball is already in the 50m area. It is only when we are desperate that we seem to kick the ball to the top of the square.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:Terrible kicking for goal. We often kicked without looking for a better option.
I would say that the opposite was true. We too often look for the perfect option even if the ball is already in the 50m area. It is only when we are desperate that we seem to kick the ball to the top of the square.
Agree

We were far too cute when we get a spillage inside 50

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:To many speculative kicks to Roo/Kosi, relying on them to take huge park marks every time
which i don't mind, so long as 1) delivery is quick and 2) there is someone waiting down.

too often neither was the case.

gwilt is a concern because they don't look for him enough and armitage might be a better option there if it is goals we are after.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 24 Aug 2009 12:59am, edited 1 time in total.

henno
Club Player

tbh, it reminded me of both finals we lost last year. just bombing it long to roo v 3 opponents, or a pack of kosi+roo v 7 opponents.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

henno wrote:tbh, it reminded me of both finals we lost last year. just bombing it long to roo v 3 opponents, or a pack of kosi+roo v 7 opponents.
the swirling wind was a factor probably more for us than them because we are more reliant on our tall forwards.

we have worked hard this season to make sure we have many avenues to goal and for the most part we have been successful.

if the game was played again i'd want more out of gwilt, milne, schneider and mini ... and some midfield goals.

Saint Pete

Last 3 or 4 games against North have been awful games. Remember the earlier game this year. Only when they ran out of players in last 1/4 did we manage to get on top. Dont know how they do it but the have an uncanny knack of dragging us down to thier level. We panicked all day butchered the ball by both hand and foot and quite clearly did not work hard enough in the tight clinches. Lenny not there today stood out like dogs you know what.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i was actually quite amazed
didnt realise till someone said it earlier

was too amazed at kicking under 60 points for an entire game at the business end..against nth of all teams ffs
:?

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

If there is one negative out of the year,it's the midfield still not kicking goals. We'll need contributions from them if we are to win it. Be nice too see NDS and Joey kick more. Both very good kicks,yet don't kick goals. Joey has 6.17 for the year....for someone that's had such a dominate season,these stats need to be improved

Bring back the Lockett era