Who is our biggest threat?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Who is our biggest threat?

That is the question, Geelong, Dogs, Filth, Crows?

Without sounding over confident, but I honestly believe our biggest threat is ourselves.

We won 20 out of 22 games this year, that's a 91% winning record, 3 games clear on top of the ladder, our 2 losses mount to 7 points and in both games we played poorly, very poorly, yet the teams that beat us just scraped in. 2 more kicks and we would be still undefeated.

Only very, very, very good sides do this.

I have no doubt, no doubt that our best is 5 goals better than our nearest rival.

I had a ultrasound today, routine check up, and the guy doing the ultrasound, a Geelong supporter thinks I've got nothing to worry about because he believes we are a shoe in for the flag.

Only very good teams have very fancied premiership hopefuls opposition supporters saying that.

Mind you I wont believe we are a shoe in until there is not enough time left for anybody to beat us on Grand Final day.

But as I said, if we play at our best, or even near to it, no one will get close to us.

If we play at our best, then if a kick wobbles through for a point for us late in the game on Grand Final day, it will be of little consequence, because the game would have been over in our favor 20 minutes earlier.

Bring your best Saints, and the 66 Cup will have a companion.

Go Saints, Our Time is now.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

our own negativity that creeps into our heads

StSteven
Club Player

Cats won 21 out of 22 last year and sstill lost GF....it aint over until it's over.

Young Georgie
Club Player

'Our' as in the supporters are a worry/worrying lot for good reason but 'Our' as in the team on the park will be doing everything they can to win just like they have for the 22 H&A rounds - if they stick to what they've been doing best then there's a huge chance they'll snare the cup and hopefully we the supporters can stop bloody worrying and enjoy the celebrations.

I still see the Cats as our the team's biggest threat. Big hard bodies, plenty of ability, a few freaks, loads of experience, etc....

Hope the health's OK 3GS.

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Before I even opened your thread, I thought exactly the same thing. IF we play at our best, and it's a big IF, we are capable of bringing home the bacon. If the players believe that their best is better than that of the opposition, we will win the flag. However, it is when self-doubts start to surface that affects confidence. If we can overcome these periods of doubt with grit and determination, and force our way back into the contest, I see no stopping us.

The Saints are coming!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

past results amount to nothing from now on in, its about injury, form, desire and that little touch of luck.
Of the sides remaining I am most worried about the Crows. Their forward line is awesome, onballers very solid, hard working and quick, the backline very offensive. The dogs are right in there, a very even team and very quick, they just never give up. I am less worried about the dogs and pies.

Seeya
Batnoe

I have full faith

Sydney won the flag with just some ordinary players... They were well coached and well conditioned

we have Ross and Misson and have a better list. Ross chooses players to suit a game plan, he is a very astute coach and i think his tactical nouse should see us win our second flag

In Ross we trust

BaysideSaint
Club Player

dogs

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I still think the winner will be out of us & whoever wins the Bulldogs/Geelong final.

As others have posted, we play near our best, hard, committed footy & that should be good enough to knock over the Filth & the Dogs.

Everyone is getting a hard on over Adelaide but I just don't rate them. They have a lot of young guys playing well but are unproven in a big final. We also smacked them comprehensively twice this season already, with them having close to their best side in (which we can't say that Collingwood had).

If we apply our trademark pressure, win the contested footy & tackle like madmen, Collingwood won't be a problem. I wouldn't be surprised if Ross targets O'Bree as someone to stop. He's their primary hard ball winner & gets it out to their runners.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

At everyones best in the finals only 2 teams can win it, ourselves and the cats. Nothing between either of those teams at their best. Whether we or they get to their best will be decided this week.

BaysideSaint
Club Player

funny AE i reckon that the filth are massively young. not saying that they wont be competitive in a few years but yeah, if you look at the likes of wood, thomas, dick, goldsack and co. they are no more or less a bunch of skinny kids. we should beat them handsomely on sunday, and yeah i reckon adelaide aren't much chop either.

roxanne
Club Player

Our biggest threat is our form. Can we turn it on again to the level it was at about six or seven weeks ago? After that - Geelong. They're hard enough to match it with anyone.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:I still think the winner will be out of us & whoever wins the Bulldogs/Geelong final.

As others have posted, we play near our best, hard, committed footy & that should be good enough to knock over the Filth & the Dogs.

Everyone is getting a hard on over Adelaide but I just don't rate them. They have a lot of young guys playing well but are unproven in a big final. We also smacked them comprehensively twice this season already, with them having close to their best side in (which we can't say that Collingwood had).

If we apply our trademark pressure, win the contested footy & tackle like madmen, Collingwood won't be a problem. I wouldn't be surprised if Ross targets O'Bree as someone to stop. He's their primary hard ball winner & gets it out to their runners.
I love how the 'pundits' collectively shot ther bolt when Adelaide trample the almost Richmond like effort of the Blues, but when we beat Melbourne by eight goals without so much as lifting a leg to fart to go 20-2 for the year, the same pundits all go 'worrying signs down at Linton Street.'

Still its all hypothesis isn't it... Mind you, I will be surprised as all hell if we don't come out belching venom and give the Pies a bit of a touch up.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:I still think the winner will be out of us & whoever wins the Bulldogs/Geelong final.

I love how the 'pundits' collectively shot ther bolt when Adelaide trample the almost Richmond like effort of the Blues, but when we beat Melbourne by eight goals without so much as lifting a leg to fart to go 20-2 for the year, the same pundits all go 'worrying signs down at Linton Street.'

Still its all hypothesis isn't it... Mind you, I will be surprised as all hell if we don't come out belching venom and give the Pies a bit of a touch up.
One side was playing for a home final and the other was playing a side that didnt want to win. If you cant see the difference well I just give up.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Angry pills, Plug? F*** me you're a hostile tosser sometimes.

Glasses ALWAYS half empty...

Point is NOTHING can be read into our game with Demons on the strength of an H and A of 20-2 and with MP/double chance stitched up just as much as NOTHING can be read into a win against a hopelessly inadequate Blues team that gave up (maybe to self preserve, maybe because they simply aren't that flash).

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

To be fair, in our game against Melbourne....we played like we were playing a side that we knew didn't want to win....

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

This week I think it's Collingwood ... :D

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

The Dogies. their form is up ours is down. they will run the spaces better at the G compared to what they were able to use at docklands.

Girlong are a still a threat. And Wobblewood are a threat if they can get Cloke be a marking target forward to kick a few goals.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Hawkesbury Saint wrote:This week I think it's Collingwood ... :D
Agree.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Angry pills, Plug? F*** me you're a hostile tosser sometimes.

Glasses ALWAYS half empty...

Point is NOTHING can be read into our game with Demons on the strength of an H and A of 20-2 and with MP/double chance stitched up just as much as NOTHING can be read into a win against a hopelessly inadequate Blues team that gave up (maybe to self preserve, maybe because they simply aren't that flash).
Glass is never half full. Just cant stand people who think the world is against us. i would suggest they are the ones with the glass half full.

StSteven
Club Player

On SEN Dean Laidley picked Dogs to beat Cats and Pies to beat Saints......Now that is a worry!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:On SEN Dean Laidley picked Dogs to beat Cats and Pies to beat Saints......Now that is a worry!
Why is that a worry???

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

This weeks opponent! Getting WAY too far ahead of the game Bruce

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:On SEN Dean Laidley picked Dogs to beat Cats and Pies to beat Saints......Now that is a worry!
Who? :wink:

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Dave, I do include Collingwood, we need to be at our best, and our best will beat them comfortably.
This side has positioned itself for a premiership better than any other St.Kilda side in history and better than many other sides in history.
As I said, our best is better than any of the other sides challenging for the flag.
If we play at our best this month, then no one will beat us, Collingwood are simply the first obstacle.
If we are not at our best, then we will struggle, time will tell.
One thing we can't do is allow teams to get a start, we have to come out of the blocks fast and hard on Sunday and let Collingwood know early that nothing much has changed since that Monday night back in May.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.