Raph ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gosainters66 wrote:would drop raph not sure on zac also eddy out for geary
So we win our first final and you want at least 2 out if not three. I seriously wonder about some people.
You said Raph wasn't good today and Eddy and Ball were worse, so what would you do?
You still haven't answered plugger.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
So we win our first final and you want at least 2 out if not three. I seriously wonder about some people.
You said Raph wasn't good today and Eddy and Ball were worse, so what would you do?
Sorry i missed the question but I said in my first or second post tonight I wouldnt make any changes for the next game. After picking the side with RL next week I will get back to you with my final decision.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
widereceiver wrote:I am mightily sick of the semi-racist taunts towards Raph, my family and I hear at the footy from some of our own fans. What a shower, convert to some other racist club!

First, I know Raph made a few more clangers today - he is not my favourite player, but as others have noted, he improved as the day went on.

I had to remind one guy today of the club's motto, he and others seem to have forgotten it or otherwise I wouldn't think they would call him a boong or a coon when something he tries to do doesn't come off.

(Interestingly, they don't use those words when he does something good).
Strength though loyalty.

And i am sick of posts that suggest racist comments. raph wasnt good today but in my opinion Eddy and Bally were also poor. They are white Raph isnt. What is the issue.
So you dont think calling a player who is aboriginal a coon or a boong racist?

Just a bit of fun to you is it???

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sorry i missed the question but I said in my first or second post tonight I wouldnt make any changes for the next game. After picking the side with RL next week I will get back to you with my final decision.
I'm with you there, but I'm concerned that you felt Raph, Eddy and Ball were not good today. Where were they deficient?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
widereceiver wrote:I am mightily sick of the semi-racist taunts towards Raph, my family and I hear at the footy from some of our own fans. What a shower, convert to some other racist club!

First, I know Raph made a few more clangers today - he is not my favourite player, but as others have noted, he improved as the day went on.

I had to remind one guy today of the club's motto, he and others seem to have forgotten it or otherwise I wouldn't think they would call him a boong or a coon when something he tries to do doesn't come off.

Strength though loyalty.

And i am sick of posts that suggest racist comments. raph wasnt good today but in my opinion Eddy and Bally were also poor. They are white Raph isnt. What is the issue.

Dont know what you are talking about. Never read it here never heard it at the footy in the last 10 years. Not sure i ever mentioned fun either.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I'm with you there, but I'm concerned that you felt Raph, Eddy and Ball were not good today. Where were they deficient?
Sorry just my opinion but Raph made some ordinary decisions early, Eddy just didnt get enough of the ball and Bally's disposal is terrible. Big deal though, not everyone plays well even when you win by 100 points.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Strength though loyalty.

Dont know what you are talking about. Never read it here never heard it at the footy in the last 10 years. Not sure i ever mentioned fun either.
Try reading widerecievers post before going off half cocked.

I would have thought you would have at least had the courtesy to read his post before critisising it :roll:

Unless of course you are calling widereciever a liar. Or is it just because you didn't hear it - it didn't happen????????

Next time read the post before having a go :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Raph looked much better up forward today. I think that might be a solution in regards to his role. He and Gwilt offer something a bit different, and right now Raph is in possession of the place in the side. Raph certainly ran off Prestigiacomo and made him look the slow and ordinary player he is. I think Raph is much better off leading into space. He seems to get a bit lost down back at times and his decision-making leaves a bit to be desired. May have found a niche today though. In any event, I doubt RL and crew will change a winning formula unless they're forced to.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
35...LEGEND
Club Player

Raph was ok.........along with half the team.

FFS its not about 1 EFFN player.

Plenty of other F%&Ck up's tonight.

WE FU%^EN WON.

GO SAINTS !!!!

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:Firstly today, I sat next to a supporter on the train who touched on a Raph slag but I stayed calm. Then the three women behind me at the game (M35) were bagging Raph for the whole game until he went forward. Every Collingwood player in the back line who was standing on his own was Raph's fault. Sure Raph hasn't really had a 'match breaking' game this season and he did make a few mistakes today and fall over at least once and was missing on his man a couple of important times ... but I think that the selection panel wouldn't be picking him if he wasn't up to doing the right thing in the overall scheme of things if he wasn't up to it. Raph has a finals body, he can read the play and has some excellent skills.

Raph did a few very good things today just like a few others IMO.
Bruce, I hope you enjoyed the game today. Roger and I had a beer waiting for you at The Karalee.

Another opportunity awaits!
To the top
SS Life Member

So how many posting on here actually went to the game today?

There is no mention of the double tackle effort in the defensive forward pocket down the St Kilda Cheer Squad end.

Excellent work.

Plus his directives to the back 6 means he is maturing into a top flight footballer.

He is chosen every week - for a multitude of reasons some posting on here would probably never understand.

One of which is gesticulating to the team to delay from leaving the oval after the game because Hayes was not yet in the group due to media commitments.

Had time on both Lockyer and Davis and kept both under tight control.

Over time on this forum I have been highly critical of those critical of the likes of Gram, Koschitzke, Gilbert, Goddard and Gardiner.

And I add both the Clarke brothers to the list of players I assess play the game very, very well.

I have been critical of Milne and the reasons for that criticism have been vindicated - now Milne does not "kick 2 goals a game" as his contribution to the team. He does not have to kick 2 goals to contribute.

Baker I thought was under pressure, including by reputation among the media fuelling umpire attention and because he had missed a year at the age he is.

Well, he has shown he wants to be a part of it.

Got caught out once today in a marking mis-match costing a goal but the question was why was he in that position?

And, if you are going to pick on small aspects and be critical, what about King's chip to Hayes which went straight to a Collingwood player costing a goal?

But King (and Gardiner) played wonderful games setting our mid-field alight.

Goddard missed from straight in front at a vital time (and out on the full to boot) and Kosi's kicking at goal was off, but they contributed wonderfully as well.

widereceiver
Club Player

I think you catalogued the mistakes pretty well there. You missed Gilbo's handball straight to a pie, but he was one of our most important players early.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Wigsy
Club Player

Actually, it was Ball's hardball get and quick kick under pressure that set off the scramble forward that led to Roo's fifth. I will need to run the tape back but for the limited amount of game time he played (why was it so low?), I thought he did quite ok.

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
Wigsy
Club Player

I remember a comment from Ross perhaps two or three months back about Raph. It must have been soon after his return (maybe a week or so) or the game back for Raph. Anyway, I found it quite interesting. He said that Raph takes some time to come up or something along those lines. In the context, it could well have meant that he takes some time to get rolling after getting back from injury, but something about the circumstances that I took it as he takes time during each specific game. Since then, I've watched a little more closely and he is very much shaky early but then is very sound second half/maybe final 3 qtrs.

I've often commented to non-Saints supporters who think he's not up to it that he's simply much better than he looks (if that makes sense). He's laconic and almost all of those players look like they are not fully trying. Dale Thomas probably cops a bit because of that factor and Travis Johnstone as well, amongst others. Mark Waugh if you like to cross-code the argument, noting that in terms of output Waugh has them all covered!

He does make me a little nervous, but he does read the play quite well and his benefit is that third man in, the long arms, and the agility to cover both another opponent in a contest while also manning his direct opponent. I've often argued on here that he should have been trialled as a third tall forward. Same arguments - long arms and a little bit of magic.

I've long been a supporter, but that's not unlimited. Difficult choice for mine - it's really a Dempster v Clarke argument. Dempster is probably safer but Raph is a tad underrated. Interesting argument nonetheless. Max is obviously a different player, but I still hold that there's capacity to play both Max and Zac, but it's very much horses for courses.

Just to start another thread within a thread, another close call with Eddy v Armitage v Geary. Each offers different things - Armitage is probably a bit more of a one trick pony, a genuine midfielder with the same tackling capacity as Eddy, but perhaps not the leg speed for that defensive forward role, while Geary gives you some nice pace and run....

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
kalsaint
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:raph wasnt good today
Were you at the MCG?

Raph did a great job today.

Who would you replace him with plugger66?
Gwilt, Dempster for starters.

Some others also need to lift too. Eddy is on the fringe too. Ball was seviceable today with in and under work. Created opportunity for the flashier receivers such as Joey who did well.

Despite some comparing McQualter's game to Raph's I believe McQualter was the more effective.

Raph does some good attacking of the ball and opposition but when he has the ball I am not confident in hi decision making and likelhood of turning over the ball. His awareness seems low at times and in pressure games seems to make more mistakes than most.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
avid
Club Player

Raph was by no means our worst player today and is in absolutely no danger of being dropped.
(I speak as a chronically frustrated raph watcher, who was at the game and has watched the replay too.)
He had several brilliant moments, and made only one or two errors, which everyone is entitled to. He kept Lockyer or whoever he was on quiet all day. My only criticism was that he was quiet himself for long periods.
I thought he added to the mix of a very powerful team performance.
(I too sat next to supporters who couldn't/wouldn't see that -- even after he laid two massive tackles, fed off two good handpasses and a stab pass only a minute or so before their tedious comments.)

mustangjack
Club Player

Here we go again stick this site up your f..ken arseholes .we win and you want to bag 1 of our own. Maybe just once watch ralph and stop listening to the wank sitting next to you . Get a bloody grasp :x

kalsaint
Club Player

mustangjack wrote:Here we go again stick this site up your f..ken arseholes .we win and you want to bag 1 of our own. Maybe just once watch ralph and stop listening to the wank sitting next to you . Get a bloody grasp :x
Win or Lose, I never get sick of hearing the views on Saintsational on any player. I'm always looking for that improvement and fine tuning needed to get to the next stage. If this means some players are discussed So be it.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Solar
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:So how many posting on here actually went to the game today?

There is no mention of the double tackle effort in the defensive forward pocket down the St Kilda Cheer Squad end.

Excellent work.

Plus his directives to the back 6 means he is maturing into a top flight footballer.

He is chosen every week - for a multitude of reasons some posting on here would probably never understand.

One of which is gesticulating to the team to delay from leaving the oval after the game because Hayes was not yet in the group due to media commitments.

Had time on both Lockyer and Davis and kept both under tight control.

Over time on this forum I have been highly critical of those critical of the likes of Gram, Koschitzke, Gilbert, Goddard and Gardiner.

And I add both the Clarke brothers to the list of players I assess play the game very, very well.

I have been critical of Milne and the reasons for that criticism have been vindicated - now Milne does not "kick 2 goals a game" as his contribution to the team. He does not have to kick 2 goals to contribute.

Baker I thought was under pressure, including by reputation among the media fuelling umpire attention and because he had missed a year at the age he is.

Well, he has shown he wants to be a part of it.

Got caught out once today in a marking mis-match costing a goal but the question was why was he in that position?

And, if you are going to pick on small aspects and be critical, what about King's chip to Hayes which went straight to a Collingwood player costing a goal?

But King (and Gardiner) played wonderful games setting our mid-field alight.

Goddard missed from straight in front at a vital time (and out on the full to boot) and Kosi's kicking at goal was off, but they contributed wonderfully as well.
fantastic points as usual, I actually believe that people have conditioned themselves to believe that a certain outcome is going to happen when raph clarke gets the ball. This clouds their judgement... similar to seeing a P plater and assuming the driver will speed.

I thought moving raph forward was one reason we started to put it on the board. We actually had opportunities in that third quarter to get out to a 6 goal lead and muffed a couple of shots at goal. Add the king turn over and there were lots of nit pick. But football is about creating not just minimising mistaes and this is where a creative player in clarke is so god damn important.

I want to here what people thought about the move of raph forward because this has been totally lost.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:I want to here what people thought about the move of raph forward because this has been totally lost.
i liked it and thought he gave us something. as you said, a creative player and gets more freedom to create in that type of role.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Raph does ok in patches. I don't think he has a problem with disposal, it's more in his decision making which can be very poor. I hope it does not cost us later in the finals.
Last edited by SaintWodonga on Mon 07 Sep 2009 12:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i had a nuffie raph potter beside me too
i usually have the right earpiece in, she was on my left.....i had both earpieces in.
its not like raph was the only player to make a mistake or have a fairly quiet one

look at tiprat and schneides.....quiet
raph did the job...thats what we want
8-)

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The people I was watching the game with were right onto Raph when he mucked up his first possession, questioning his place in the team. They never made a comment whenever anyone else stuffed up.
I would like to see us with all indigenous players recruited at the end of the year. It would be interesting to see the comments on here if we had 5 or 6 of them running around. But then none of the posters are racist, are they.

RaphClarke_MagicMan16

Raph's a Star Leave HIM Alone!!!! :!: :!: :!:

SaintWodonga
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:The people I was watching the game with were right onto Raph when he mucked up his first possession, questioning his place in the team. They never made a comment whenever anyone else stuffed up.
I would like to see us with all indigenous players recruited at the end of the year. It would be interesting to see the comments on here if we had 5 or 6 of them running around. But then none of the posters are racist, are they.
Nothing to do with being a rasist. All to do with putting team mates under presure for no need. Week before he was doing hand passes to team mates feet.

Check out this review:
Raphael Clarke – 4
Struggled to inject himself into the contest from various positions. Offered just a token chase of opponent Harry O'Brien who set up a Leon Davis goal in the final term.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM