First Quarter

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Junior
Club Player

First Quarter

The first quarter is vital tonight. The Bulldogs will throw everything at us early as they will be mindful that we have lead them at quarter time in both games this year. They will also be mindful of the fact that Geelong jumped them two weeks ago.

We have had the week off but we must be ready to go, hit them early and hit them hard, get a buffer and then settle into our game of controlling possession of the football.

Win the contested footy and make a physical statement early, provide frontal pressure and make them turn the footy over.

No excuses this year Saints, we are fit, strong and in form. We need to do what the Kangaroos did in 1996 and break the preliminary final hoodo.

Just get the job done.

Go you good things.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Lenny_Hayes7
Club Player

Need to be the first team to settle.. Would be great if the game is over in the last quarter then i can enjoy half hour of BEAUTIFUL drinking time..

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

More often than not I've seen our guys dip the toe in and test the waters during the first quarter. It then seems a direction is set thereafter if things aren't going to plan. Generally we've got it under some sort of control by half-time. I've got a stack of faith in the coaching staff and the team flying the flag!

Go Saints!!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Quixote
SS Life Member

Agree with the OP completely.

We need to put doubt in Doggy minds early.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Disagree, the last quarter is more important IMO...

They usually come home like crazy so we need to keep going to whole match...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Junior
Club Player

Of course we need to keep going the whole match it is a preliminary final. But if we come out half asleep after a week off it will be hard to peg them back.

They have had a weakness against the better sides in the first quarter, and yes they do come home like a stem train so even more reson to be on top early.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
bckd

We need to set the standard straight up and then bring it home. I am hopefull the week off hasn't goven them to much time to think and as long as they play well they should bring it home. I cant believe that Max is not in the side :( He deserves his spot ans againt the Dogs I thin we need him.

My brother was concieved the night of the last Grand final victory in 66 and named after cowboy Neil I am desperate to see my Boys come out on top next week. Just have to get thru tonight and I think they can do it.

Lenny_Hayes7
Club Player

12 years since our last GF And our number 12 will make sure we get over the line tonight!!! GO THE MIGHTY SAINTERS

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Crack Griffin and Cooney with early, hard, free-earning tackles that hurt and stick.

The rest will follow neatly.

COME ON YOU SAINTERS.

TIME IS RIGHT F**KING NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

As Neil Craig pointed out last week...you cant win the game in the first quarter,they had a blistering start and then stopped....

We need to be ,at worst ,even with them at 3/4 time and then storm home in the last quarter due to the weeks rest.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.