Geelong look polished.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Milton66 wrote:Geelong have quite a few polished heads.
Whats that saying "You can polish a turd - but it is still a turd"
"You cant polish a turd... but you can roll it in glitter!" :D
...and then you have a Pies supporter!

Young Georgie
Club Player

degruch wrote:
markp wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Milton66 wrote:Geelong have quite a few polished heads.
Whats that saying "You can polish a turd - but it is still a turd"
"You cant polish a turd... but you can roll it in glitter!" :D
...and then you have a Pies supporter!
Joffa on a good day

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
perfectionist wrote:I just hope our players weren't watching the game - oops - training run.

Number of handballs missed = 0
Number of kicks that missed targets = 0
Number of players who contributed = 22
Number of on ballers who don't have pace = 0

Over the last six weeks we have relied on a handful of players, our skills have deteriorated to the level we saw in 2006/07 and our players, despite an extra day, will not be as fresh as Geelong, who had very little pressure at all tonight.

Our game plan is such that we should be able to control the damage for a significant period of time, but I'm afraid we will be looking for a miracle some time in the third quarter.

We peaked in rounds 14-17, just a bit early.
We make itto a GF for the first time in a long time and you trot that out?

Worst post Ive ever read - and Ive read a lot of Rodgerfox's.

Grow some balls.
Totally agree. Shocking post.

Form goes out the window in a grand final.

It's really about who handles the occasion better.

Our defence is the best the game has ever seen and that alone will hold us in good stead.

Tonight was a Collingwood side that had no fight left in them. Cats kicked a couple of early ones in the third and the Pies threw the towel in. The Adelaide game took a lot out of them. You saw the way they were celebrating, that was their GF.

Geelong are yet to be tested while we're battle-hardened. Ross Lyon won't allow the Cats to find their rhythm as they were able to do so comfortably tonight.

The game tonight doesn't tell us anything. Collingwood were absolutely abject.

marksnsparks
Club Player

I agree we can't read too much into Geelong's victory over the Collywobbles.

They did get that name for a reason!

Reminds me of how Adelaide got pumped up before they played us the second time this season. Didn't they just beat Freo who scored 1 goal?

Cats are a different class to Adelaide, but WE ARE A DIFFERENT CLASS TO EVERYONE.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

on one hand its good to see the collingwood supporters shut up.

one dissapointing thing was the dogs really took it up to us, whereas the cats seems to have a training run.

I dont know how this will play out next week but i was hoping the cats would be run into the ground with a hard hard game, seeking a small advantage of 24 hours on the cats.

but <shrug> its up tot he saints next week :)

im certainly hoping we wipe their smug faces off.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
wasaintsfan
Club Player

the finals have kinda reminded me of 2007... cats just beat collingwood... power wipe floor with the roo's

lets hope the gf pans out the same way =D...

in all seriousness though i think last week was the best preperation possible going into a grand final... a slug fest where every ball mattered.. kinda like a hard fought grand final...

then geelong had a round 22 entry in the gf... seriously did melbourne just switch jumpers with collingwood b4 the game? they fought it out in the first half.. but thats all they had left.. they spent all their tickets

We are in the final.. be positive we finished top not them.. we won our clash earlier in the year. we made history this year this is our year...
the only ones that can hold us back are us... BELIEVE SAINTERS!! if we show our faith to our players they will bring us home the holy grail!!!

GO THE MIGHTY SAINTERS!!!!!! YEAR OF THE SAINT

jay young
Club Player

everyone ive spoken to said fri nites game was crap football and if not for hayes riew dal santo we looked average i agree . only a third of the side is playing good , but next week is a different game hopefully everyone is on the ball . after watching last nites game ive come to the conclusion afl players cant kick set shots for goals for nuts im 43 and i could take these guys down the local oval and teach them a lesson about straight kicking im a much better kick than cam mooney

claystreet
Club Player

jay young wrote:everyone ive spoken to said fri nites game was crap football
Whos everyone? most think it was a cracker

Grow some NUTS

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah crap
unreal
watched it like 3 times now and its shites all over the pies v cats game

s*** game?
pffft
yeah roo and hayes did unbelievable stuff but what about the defensive efforts from our backmen??
call them muppets and move on 8-)

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:I just hope our players weren't watching the game - oops - training run.

Over the last six weeks we have relied on a handful of players, our skills have deteriorated to the level we saw in 2006/07 and our players, despite an extra day, will not be as fresh as Geelong, who had very little pressure at all tonight.

Our game plan is such that we should be able to control the damage for a significant period of time, but I'm afraid we will be looking for a miracle some time in the third quarter.

Fair dinkum mate.

What on earth is the point of YOU...

My team's in the Grannie for only the second time in my 37 year life and I read miserable defeatist garbage like this.

Shame on you.

P-ss off and grow a pair.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

jay young wrote:everyone ive spoken to said fri nites game was crap football and if not for hayes riew dal santo we looked average i agree . only a third of the side is playing good , but next week is a different game hopefully everyone is on the ball . after watching last nites game ive come to the conclusion afl players cant kick set shots for goals for nuts im 43 and i could take these guys down the local oval and teach them a lesson about straight kicking im a much better kick than cam mooney
Jay Jay Jay... Collingwood v Dogs in the Grannie wasn't it? You were deadset certain weren't you?

Now bugger off and squeeze that acne on your forehead, junior.

You're nothing to me.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
jay young wrote:everyone ive spoken to said fri nites game was crap football and if not for hayes riew dal santo we looked average i agree . only a third of the side is playing good , but next week is a different game hopefully everyone is on the ball . after watching last nites game ive come to the conclusion afl players cant kick set shots for goals for nuts im 43 and i could take these guys down the local oval and teach them a lesson about straight kicking im a much better kick than cam mooney
Jay Jay Jay... Collingwood v Dogs in the Grannie wasn't it? You were deadset certain weren't you?

You're nothing to me.
You must be old if your calling him junior. i must say i am worried that he is worried about Cam Mooney's kicking for goal. Who gives a rats about Cam Mooney. hope he does his head in all week thinking about his kicking.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:

You're nothing to me.
You must be old if your calling him junior. i must say i am worried that he is worried about Cam Mooney's kicking for goal. Who gives a rats about Cam Mooney. hope he does his head in all week thinking about his kicking.
The quality of hi sprevious posting has led me to conclude he might be gilding the lily.

PJ
SS Life Member

Collingwood spent their tickets beating the crows and the media spent the week pumping them up - unfortunately they are children and focused on their press rather than mentally preparing themselves, half of their team spent the evening walking around with their hands on their hips - pathetic. Malthouse has to take some of the blame for this - what a tosser blaming their leadership group, he should grow up and accept responsibility.

Friday was a good wake up call for some in our team, expect to see a lift in intensity and effort.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:Friday was a good wake up call for some in our team, expect to see a lift in intensity and effort.
ffs did you watch the game, it is one of the most intense games that the club has ever played

it seems like the commentators and ex-players who know something recognise this and the once a year supporter can't see that value in the game

go and watch the replay and see the attrition and the battles at each contest

it was an amazing game

Richter
SS Life Member

Pressure put on the ball carrier by Collingwood = 0

Saints have the best all around the ground pressure on the man seen in the AFL in a generation if not ever

Number of decent contested marks in Collingwood forward line = 0

No wonder Milkshake was desperate to have Rocca back. Cloke was so bad yesterday that Mc Milkshake threw him into the ruck. We have two solid rucks who can take a grab and two of the best contested marking forwards in the modern game.

And in Riewoldt we have a once in a generation player who has already shown that he can rise in pressure games and is at the peak of his powers.

Number of leaders that Collingwood had last night = 1 (Maxwell)

We have quality leaders on all three lines - Sam Fisher down back has led this defensive line to the best modern defensive record in modern AFL history and was magnificent vs the Dogs. Lenny Hayes picked up 13 touches in the final Q vs the Dogs to will us over the line. And in Nick Riewoldt we have a colossus of a CHF whose single focus is to win the premiership. He is rightly the AA captain and perfoms feats of skill and courage that make superman look weak and lily-livered in comparison.

In summary whilst you make a reasonable point about our some of our players not having contributed much over the last couple of weeks, you are far too pessimistic. Geelong have the better spread but only a few champion players in Selwood, Bartel, Ablett, Johnson and Scarlett. We have Roo, Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Fisher and Goddard. Whilst they have the edge in midfiled toughness our delivery by foot from the midfield is superior. We have the better defensive unit and up front we are much better than they are.

We have the core of our team at their prime in terms of age, skill, courage, leadership. These boys were groomed by Thomas and now under Lyon and Silvagni have become men. Finals football demands hard bodies. It demands players who have the desire to win and contest the ball when it is in dispute both on the ground and in the air. When we have the ball we have the skill to dispose of it to our advantage and when we don't we have the application to win it back.

OUR TIME IS NOW. GO SAINTS.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Macau Saint
Club Player

I was happy that we had a tough game (Although I didnt want it that close). Maybe for our group they have now realised that the pressure and pace of the game and the physical and mental application required goes up week by week at this time of year.

The Cats just coasted against the insipid Pies. They will be in for a rude shock if they think this team is just gonna bend over like that for them...

bckd

Hey guys, seriously.
We are in the GF and you want to get all super freaked out about how bad we supposedly played on Friday.
Give yourselves a few stiff uppercuts, and snap out of it, and show some faith.

1. We just came off a bye. 99% of teams come out a bit rusty after the september bye.
2. We came up against a very hungry Bulldogs. Great way to lead into a GF.
3. We held the most attacking team of the season to 54. Their average is 109.
4. Geelongs attack is only 5 points better than ours per game this year, but there defence leaks in over 3 goals more per game.
5. Geelong nearly cracked under the Bulldogs pressure, so what do you think the Saints strangleing pressure them wil do to them. I believe they will choke.
6. We don't need to kick millions of goals to build this pressure, we simply stop them, and before you know it they gift us goals.
7. Collingwood made them look better then they are, and they go into the GF with a last up soft hitout.
8. Geelong has put enough pressure on themselves by being such a dominant team for 3/4 years and not winning more GF's.
9. We have the wood on them, psychologically, this year. Look at the domino effect our last meeting with them started.

Give our team some credit were it IS due. Fridays game was exactly what we needed. And we did what we've been doing all year. We strangled the life out of a team that played like their lives depended on it, and WE won.