Not as nervous this week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Not as nervous this week

Funny thing but I felt sick and moody all week once we knew we were facing the dogs in the prelim...

The thought of falling 1 game short of the big dance absolutely terrified me :shock:

Would have been unthinkable after a 20 win season..

Now that we are there I am completely relaxed although my expectations are already starting to change and no doubt by the bounce nothing less that a premiership will do :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Hey SP

I can tell by your post that this is your first GF.

This is my 3rd for Saints as well as many others for other teams.

This is the best chance we have ever had and I am a basket case. I can even contemplate a loss and yet that is all I am thinking about.

80+ tackles will win the premiership. I firmly believe that out tackling will win the flag. We must tackle and tackle hard to hurt them.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I agree hope players feel the same...

I agree but most importantly I hope the players feel the same...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
St Michele
Club Player

I am the same St Pat. I was really nervous on Friday but am now just happy we made it and I know the boys will do the best they can on saturday so am enjoying the journey :-)

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

I am the same i felt sick until i saw the form of the Cats in the 2nd half. i am more relaxed now that i see the favoritism is going to them. Whilst optimistic of a good result i think the experience will do us well for next year if we come up short. It has been said you need to lose a GF to win a GF and that's what we did in 65/66.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I am more relaxed too.

Prelim finals are hell.

At least with the GF you are in and have a chance.

Also, having watched both Prelim's a couple of times:

1 we head into the GF valuing and relishing the rewards of absolutely desperate hard work in the face of extreme adversity.

2 When Pies pressured the ball carrier in firt half, Geelong looked all at sea. No one applies pressure like St Kilda.

3 In the second half Collingwood gave up. Geelong might as well have been playing Richmond at their worst. The Pies were embarrassingly stand-offish. No such luxuries against us.

4 Look at the Brownlow votes s a rough guide. We have a more even spread of team-oriented talent iced with some outstandingly unselfish individual leaders in Hayes and Riewoldt. Teams win flags. Not Abletts.

I have every faith that this group will give absolutely everything until the hooter blows.

Every chance.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Certainties if our midfield breaks even with Geelong's and our forward efficiency is improved with Kosi and crumbers helping Roo kick a winning score.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

last week i was confident

'5 goals...no worries' i said at the pub before the game :?

this week im buying a box of diapers
im packing it...pretty nervous
:shock:

sainter#4
Club Player

before last weeks game i was a bunch of nerves,felt that we were going to be in for an absolute struggle and it turned out we were.

yet so far this week,ive been eerily calm almost knowing that we will win and being so very confident of it,which is a feeling i only come across in those gurranteed "win" matches against richmond and melbourne.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Nerves don't actually acheive anything, except maybe a sore stomach, lack of fingernails, a few grey hairs?

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I want whatever you've got cos I can't stand how I feel atm. Same nerves I'd get before I'm the one doing something. The stomach turns whenever I think about Saturday, the bulldogs have rattled my cage, i think I was on the verge of puking when we were down. Now this will last all week, and tenfold during the game! If we win, I'd imagine how I feel will be the same feeling one gets with a winning Lotto ticket! Excited and in a little shock.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:I want whatever you've got cos I can't stand how I feel atm. Same nerves I'd get before I'm the one doing something. The stomach turns whenever I think about Saturday, the bulldogs have rattled my cage, i think I was on the verge of puking when we were down. Now this will last all week, and tenfold during the game! If we win, I'd imagine how I feel will be the same feeling one gets with a winning Lotto ticket! Excited and in a little shock.
It still makes me sick watching some of those highlights from the prelim.

Giansiracusa just missing that left foot snap to put the Dogs in front with about 3 mins left.

Gilbee's shot for goal getting touched.

The reactions of the Bulldogs' players after the siren. I keep thinking, "that could've been us".

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Re: I agree hope players feel the same...

WinnersOnly wrote:I agree but most importantly I hope the players feel the same...
Here , Here!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I don't think I could call it being nervous so far.

I'm not nervous like before the game against the Filth.

I wasn't nervous before the game last week at all.

I am definitely apprehensive.

I think we can win the game. I honestly do.

I am apprehensive about what happens if we don't.

We match up very, very well though.

Just cannot leave anything behind.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I am more relaxed too.

Prelim finals are hell.

At least with the GF you are in and have a chance.

Also, having watched both Prelim's a couple of times:

1 we head into the GF valuing and relishing the rewards of absolutely desperate hard work in the face of extreme adversity.

2 When Pies pressured the ball carrier in firt half, Geelong looked all at sea. No one applies pressure like St Kilda.

3 In the second half Collingwood gave up. Geelong might as well have been playing Richmond at their worst. The Pies were embarrassingly stand-offish. No such luxuries against us.

4 Look at the Brownlow votes s a rough guide. We have a more even spread of team-oriented talent iced with some outstandingly unselfish individual leaders in Hayes and Riewoldt. Teams win flags. Not Abletts.

I have every faith that this group will give absolutely everything until the hooter blows.

Every chance.
That's all reassuring. I'm glad someone's been able to watch the other prelim again LOL.

Collingwood had just come off an epic, emotional tug of war against the Crows in 29 degree heat. We saw the reactions of the Collingwood players - Jack Anthony in tears - they were forced to invest a little too much into that game.

Up against a fresh Geelong unit with the week off, they had nothing left to give.

They would've run out in the 3rd quarter looking to continue where they left off in the second and when Geelong jumped them, the Collingwood players just said, "phuck it, this is all a bit too hard now, we're done".

As for us, we were pitted against a Bulldog side that were never threatened by the Lions the previous week in a game that was lacking finals-like intensity and lacking finals-like atmosphere from the very beginning.

The Bulldogs were able to have a crack whereas Collingwood were running on pure adrenalin and when the adrenalin ran out, they capitulated.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The third and final act of the finals series is upon us. It has been very Shakespearean. Hopefully we will have more of a Midsummer Night's Dream type of ending, rather than say a Hamlet style tragedy.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
HarveysDeciple

For the first time in my life.....A St.Kilda premiership makes sense.

It makes sense that we would win the grand final, and that has never happened before.

Not sure if you all understand what I mean lol

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:For the first time in my life.....A St.Kilda premiership makes sense.

It makes sense that we would win the grand final, and that has never happened before.

Makes perfect sense to me HD :wink: :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:For the first time in my life.....A St.Kilda premiership makes sense.

I think I do...

Care to elaborate? :)

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:

I think I do...

I Agree with HD, but why am I so nervouse that I feel sick thinking about it, I know this is wrong but I am not enjoying this week

I love this club
HarveysDeciple

OLB wrote:

I think I do...

In 04 we were young and it sort of came from nowhere. Seemed like we were a touch out of depth and had we won we may have pinched it.

In 05 I had a rotten feeling all week leading up to Prelim. Could not picture us in the Grand Final as hard as I tried.

Last year we weren't up to it.

97 I was a bit young to comprehend all that.

This year we are the best team in the comp, professional and have done everything right.
I actually can't picture the cats on the podium. (They can certainly win). I just can't actually picture it. Which I hope is a good thing.

And it seems logical that we would follow all we have done with a premiership, and no one could argue with the merits of it at all.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Toeier than a Roman sandle TBH.

Will be a mess come Saturday.

I remember in 97... after the Nat Anthem was sung, I went to call out "Carn Saints" and nothing came out. :oops:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Milton66
SS Life Member

HarveysDeciple wrote:
OLB wrote:

I think I do...

In 04 we were young and it sort of came from nowhere. Seemed like we were a touch out of depth and had we won we may have pinched it.

In 05 I had a rotten feeling all week leading up to Prelim. Could not picture us in the Grand Final as hard as I tried.

Last year we weren't up to it.

97 I was a bit young to comprehend all that.

This year we are the best team in the comp, professional and have done everything right.
I actually can't picture the cats on the podium. (They can certainly win). I just can't actually picture it. Which I hope is a good thing.

And it seems logical that we would follow all we have done with a premiership, and no one could argue with the merits of it at all.
Yep. +1

97, I thought we had it because it was only Adelaide after all. Big shock.
More confident this year due to results and professionalism.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?