Geelong promises no cheap shots on Nick Riewoldt in GF

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Geelong promises no cheap shots on Nick Riewoldt in GF

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/g ... 5778354425

THERE will be no Mark Yeates-Dermott Brereton fireworks in this year's Grand Final with Geelong adamant it won't target St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt.

The Western Bulldogs tried to work over Riewoldt in the preliminary final but Cats coach Mark Thompson said yesterday his team wouldn't adopt similar tactics.

"We won't be going out of our way to do anything," Thompson said.

"We won't put any more physical pressure on any one individual than any other. That is not the way we really play."

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Has he told Scarlett and Mooney?

Watch out for the looney wearing No.39.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Lets see if it doesn't happen should we be thrashing them by the half time mark :?

Whatever happens, if Roo goes down unfairly a remonstration must be furious!

If all of our players stand tall and share the load, the focus will lessen on Nick!

Time to produce the perfect storm!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Watch the 4 second mark of Rd 14 when Mooney comes directly off the HF line in an attempt to kill someone - luckily missed Gram and then Lenny remonstrated.

FFS that was only a H&A game, and was clearly a pre-designated instruction.

Bring it on Geelong, I think the article of denial shows they'll do the opposite.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Round 1 2004.

Start of 2nd quarter I think. Riewoldt is taken out off the ball. Scarlett should have got 5 weeks but no case to answer.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
saint3d
Club Player

Re: Geelong promises no cheap shots on Nick Riewoldt in GF

"We won't put any more physical pressure on any one individual than any other. That is not the way we really play."
"It's only the way we sort-of play. Because we don't do it all the time; just occasionally."

If anything were to 'happen', I wouldn't be surprised to see Steven King fly the flag as fiercely as anyone on the ground.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

St. Luke wrote:Lets see if it doesn't happen should we be thrashing them by the half time mark :?

Whatever happens, if Roo goes down unfairly a remonstration must be furious!

If all of our players stand tall and share the load, the focus will lessen on Nick!

Time to produce the perfect storm!
Thrashing them by half-time ??

Your dreaming mate ,,,

have a bit of respect for them and yourself.

What will be next from this club ?
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i think peeps missed the point

"We won't put any more physical pressure on any one individual than any other."
no, just all of them maybe?
bring it on

S.A Saint
Club Player

going by that article they are going to target everyone who gets in their way...going to be a very bruising encounter...last time the cats played hard ball with us 7 players didn't get up for the next game...this time there is more at steak and i wouldn't be surprised to see a few players with concussions from some heavy tackles....

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

If Geelong want to employ those tactics well good luck to them.

Who's to say we won't try a bit of it ourselves. If we have to go the knuckle to win an important contested ball then look out Cats.

Let's not forget Rossy Lyon was one of the hardest blokes to play the game. Didn't mind the old hip and shoulder from time to time.

I'd use all means to win a Grand Final. If that included pummelling someone into submission physically then I'd employ some of those tactics.

Its a Grand Final after all. Ultimate glory.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

At the first couple of bounces, I reckon Clinton Jones and Nicky Dal are in danger of being 'picked off' by Mooney and Rooke. Mooney tried it in the R14 game adn luckily missed.

I reckon Roo will be targeted by Scarlett and Milburn in marking contests and not just blatantly 'picked-off'.

If Bummer said it was sunny outside I'd take an umbrella.

StSteven
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:At the first couple of bounces, I reckon Clinton Jones and Nicky Dal are in danger of being 'picked off' by Mooney and Rooke. Mooney tried it in the R14 game adn luckily missed.

I reckon Roo will be targeted by Scarlett and Milburn in marking contests and not just blatantly 'picked-off'.

If Bummer said it was sunny outside I'd take an um
brella.
totally disagree. I have been impressed at the professionalism of Ross and Bomber. No cheap shots and a great deal of respect for each others team.

Great article by Leigh Matthews in Hun today regarding how good it is to have the best two sides in the GF with full lists to pick from.

I am excited......

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:At the first couple of bounces, I reckon Clinton Jones and Nicky Dal are in danger of being 'picked off' by Mooney and Rooke. Mooney tried it in the R14 game adn luckily missed.

If Bummer said it was sunny outside I'd take an um
brella.
totally disagree. I have been impressed at the professionalism of Ross and Bomber. No cheap shots and a great deal of respect for each others team.

Great article by Leigh Matthews in Hun today regarding how good it is to have the best two sides in the GF with full lists to pick from.

I am excited......
I hope your opinion is right and mine wrong.

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

StSteven wrote:totally disagree. I have been impressed at the professionalism of Ross and Bomber. No cheap shots and a great deal of respect for each others team.
Agreed, much more respect and professionalism between Rossy and Mark Thompson.......... as opposed to the previous incumbent.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Yeah and I'm sure the cheque is in the mail
- but we all know cash is King :wink:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if there is a thread on teh Cats fan forum wondering who Baker or Lenny is going to "pick off".

Its a GF FFS - its play for keeps - both teams.

BTW - I also agree regarding the two coaches. Bomber Thomson was a pratt around 2004, but has conducted himself very well over the past three years - even in the devestating loss in last year GF.

Anyone read the Lloyd article where he said he was taken aside by Thompson as a young player and admonised after he had brushed a fan aside. Thompson made it quite clear that the game was for the fans and never treat them that way.

Rossy is Rossy and I have never heard a disparaging remark toward a player or team or coach.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
aussiejones
Club Player

" The Western Bulldogs tried to work over Riewoldt in the preliminary final but Cats coach Mark Thompson said yesterday his team wouldn't adopt similar tactics. "

This will be long forgotten by game day.....its more for publicity than anything.

Riewolt will be targetted , double teamed etc but he is used to it .

Time for Baker to iron out Gablett !!!!!

Batnoe

There will be a lot of tension in this game and wont matter if we get suspesnions into next year, we want to win and we must remonstrate

Milton66
SS Life Member

No beg pardons this week. It's winner take all, and nice guys don't win flags.

If you believe fish lips, then you believe in the tooth fairy.

Licence to kill:

Kosi
Gardi
King
Lenny
Baker
Zac

Let them earn it. Go boys! Whatever it takes.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Cats might not try and do a Yeates on him....

But make no mistake despite what Bomber says they will seek to rough him up....just watch how they will fall on him when they tackle him, will sling him around in tackles etc...

They just will avoid "Lake" off the ball bumps that is all.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
goodie
Club Player

I didn't know Scarlett wasn't playing

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yes much more professionalism

until the opening bounce
if someone said take out so and so and u are 100% in with a serious chance to 100% make sure u win the flag...would u do it??

damn straight i would do it
and i would expect the same from my opposition too

BaysideSaint
Club Player

dont under-estimate grammy.
he had a shocker last week after some early pushing and shoving.
he may just flip-out and start the game by violently disembowling anyone who dares to stand upright in front of him.

Ali92
Club Player

SA Saint said"......this time there is more at steak " you silly sausage !!! don't you kno how to spel ??
anyways the Handbaggers know if they target anyone, esp Rooey, it will just fire up the rest of the Saints !!

Global Warming? don't you dare question this or you'll be called a heretic...remember the Catholic Church in the Middle Ages? "the earth is flat !!!"
I thought science was all about finding the truth and asking questions...why do we all have to believe what we are told ffs ????
FullMonty
Club Player

This is where we need Brent Guerra running off the edge of the square on the first bounce and WHHHHHAAAAAMMMOOOOOOOOOOO..........

Good thing I am not a coach eh. You only get one chance to win these games. Do what it takes as no-one ever remembers who came second.

Montyrules!