Favorite Memories of 97

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Kate
Club Player

I've wiped most of it from my memory. I remember very little of the game, and I've never watched a replay.

If we win this one, I'll watch it everyday for a month!

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Has anyone ever watched the 97 grand final again?

I will never watch it. Ever. If I was ever captured by enemies I think it would be my ultimate torture.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Watching my mate get shirtfronted so hard the sheep carcass he was wearing on his head went over the next door neighbours fence :lol:

Winmar
Club Player

Yeah I watched it once afterwards, maybe a couple of years later. I hated the Crows for a long time afterwards.

linz
Club Player

My wife & I got an invite to a superbox with free food grog etc. Was a memorable experience in all the wrong ways. I still remember the Crow flogs taunting us outside the ground as we walked back to our car even though the presentation ceremony was just commencing inside the ground. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
georgie girl
Club Player

97 Grand Final

Goose is king wrote:Has anyone ever watched the 97 grand final again?

I will never watch it. Ever. If I was ever captured by enemies I think it would be my ultimate torture.
Recorded it but could never, ever watch it again. People keep telling me I need to get over it! Can't believe it has been 12 years and it still holds so many sad memories.

Best memory was training - sitting in the Moorabbin stand cheering for the boys like the old days!

Go Saints!

Young Georgie
Club Player

Next day bumped into a smug Crows fan decked in the colours strolling down Ackland St...intentional contact, low impact, body contact, high satisfaction.

I've never watched the replay, never will and will never contribute to a thread on the subject ever again. :evil:

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The lump in my throat the size of a tennis ball when the team ran out onto the ground

Aussies goal

Walking out of the ground and thru the carpark in the pouring rain afterwards...and seeing Ian Cover from the Coodabeens with his (I assume) 2 young daughters sheltering under a tree...the lil girls were decked out in Saints gear and just crying their hearts out..was about then I was very glad of the cover of that rain :oops:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Just walking into the ground with my brother, Kevin...
Dermie said to us, walking in: :You boys are gunna win today!"

In the match Hall's 3 goals and Aussie Jones Run.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
west57
Club Player

I have still kept an article from 1997, written after we lost by Ian Cockerill of The Age. It's a great article - about Stan Alves and basically the hardship he went through when his son died suddenly and how football brought him back to life when he was really struggling.

I bring it out every year around this time and even after 12 years, it still brings a tear to my eye.

Best memory from 1997 - by far the prelim win against North.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 5778898562

good read on 1997
It is 12 years since St Kilda played in a Grand Final. In part one of a two-part series, WARWICK GREEN spoke to several of the key players about the biggest week of their lives, when the message was to enjoy the moment -- but not too much.

mick13
Club Player

Re: Favorite Memories of 97

LovedLintonStreet wrote:The whole week was amazing after we rolled North. I had grown up in the 80's and was starting to believe I would never see the Saints in a Grand Final. Then Harves wins the Brownlow. It was such a buzz at training, everyone cheering Spider on hoping he'd play.
However my best memory of grand final week 1997 was hearing " oh when the saints" break out spontaneously. I heard it at the Caulfield Races after the meeting was over, at the Edgy on Wednesday night, over the top of the music and then finally on Friday night at the Bush concert in the Mercury lounge. While people were calling for an encore someone started oh when the saints and Gavin Rossdale came out playing the tune on his guitar. The crowd went nuts and he just told everyone to keep singing!

Although, this year I want to hear the song on Saturday night on the way home!!!
Haha, edgy (Y)

Getting spastic next week there if we win.

Far too young to remember 97 in any great detail. Lapping it up this week though!

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

In 1997 I had the misfortune of being in Adelaide for the whole grand final week and the week after. It was, without a doubt, the most forgettable fortnight in my entire life!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I find it very hard to even think about.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
midas_touch
Club Player

I was only 8 years old, but I remember absolutely crying my eyes out for a couple of hours nonstop after the match. It was definitely a heartbreaking experience.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:Has anyone ever watched the 97 grand final again?
I didn't watch it on the day...too nervous. I turned snags on the BBQ and drank a lot of beer whilst everyone else updated me on the scores. I wasn't happy we were less that 6 goals up at 3/4 time, fearing they would run over us. The rest is history.

Went in to town that night and it was going nuts. Thanks to my Saints gear, I had a few drinks bought for me, but that was about as good as it got.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 5779282255

THEY still can't believe it. The Saints suddenly found themselves in trouble on the big stage and unable to fight back. Warwick Green writes about their agonising 1997 Grand Final.

STAN Alves made sure he found time to meditate in the hours before he headed to the MCG, just as he had every morning that week. It helped to clear his mind.