Cousins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Cousins

Could of used him

:lol: :lol:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

to slice up the oranges for half time.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Will say again.......NOW with hindsight......to win a flag you gotta take risks.

He was that additional midfielder that DOES run, carry the ball and kick goals that we desperately lack. We couldve had him for zip.

Sure we won 20 games or whatever.....but in the heat of battle in the big one I am in no doubt he wouldve been enormous help to Hayes and that quality 1 mid the Cats couldnt shut down.

Anyway its done so lets hope we find that solution next season BEFORE this group misses its chance.

“Yeah….nah””
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Would have done his hamstring in the 2nd qtr.
30+ yr old with dodgy hamstrings, no thanks.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Would have done his hamstring in the 2nd qtr.
30+ yr old with dodgy hamstrings, no thanks.
Bout to secure a 300k contract for a great season giving Richmond some huge experience which they needed badly.

Im going on what he DID this year - your going on what he "may" have done.

And what was his cost again?

Rookie wages.

Thats a punt Id have taken by a mile thanks.

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Unless Cousins could have some how miraculously made all those shots we had at goal turn into goals he would not have helped. We did not lose this in the midfield.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:Unless Cousins could have some how miraculously made all those shots we had at goal turn into goals he would not have helped. We did not lose this in the midfield.
Not sure Lenny couldnt have used a chopout when Bartel smothered him the last while Ling sat on Dal to be honest.

The difference?

No 1 player is really but certainly wouldve had a role.

Anyway, its done.

We now need another mid IMHO to step in and Im praying its Steven or Armitage...

“Yeah….nah””
eppo67
Club Player

Future is Bright dont need past it hacks.

Lynch, Stevens, Armitage and a fit rehabed X.Clarke will take us to a new level next year. Get excited about next year guys!!

Nothing we can do about 2009 Grand Final now its gone look only forward not back.

Milton66
SS Life Member

F*** off already with this thread. :evil:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
santazzi
Club Player

Guys...why are you looking for a midfielder?......in the game I watched (on TV) I saw the mid field feed the forward often enough....I saw the forward talls crush the ball to the ground.......I saw the smalls get the pill close to the goal..........Let us face it we had 10 lives, 9 of them really liveable......unfortunately every single one of those nine lives were slaughtered...that is it..........as the capitain said in his address at the reception last night ..."we are that good"...........this team is good ..it may need some fine tuning..........but it does not need to shop for a SAVIOR..........

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Yes he did play this year and missed a 1/3 of it injured and he made no impact on Richmond's position this year.
He stood out a bit due to the abundance of poor players at the Tigers.
As a lot of people said about Max, we all love him and wish he could have played yesterday, but there was that fear that he might break down.
Cousins is injury prone and will probably miss 1/3 of the season next year as well.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Milton66
SS Life Member

santazzi wrote:Guys...why are you looking for a midfielder?......in the game I watched (on TV) I saw the mid field feed the forward often enough....I saw the forward talls crush the ball to the ground.......I saw the smalls get the pill close to the goal..........Let us face it we had 10 lives, 9 of them really liveable......unfortunately every single one of those nine lives were slaughtered...that is it..........as the capitain said in his address at the reception last night ..."we are that good"...........this team is good ..it may need some fine tuning..........but it does not need to shop for a SAVIOR..........
+1

Sadly, some people will never learn, mate.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Jack and Nick Riewoldt are cousins.

Milton66
SS Life Member

The only people missing Cousins yeaterday are from Tassie. :twisted:

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Will say again.......NOW with hindsight......to win a flag you gotta take risks.

He was that additional midfielder that DOES run, carry the ball and kick goals that we desperately lack. We couldve had him for zip.

Sure we won 20 games or whatever.....but in the heat of battle in the big one I am in no doubt he wouldve been enormous help to Hayes and that quality 1 mid the Cats couldnt shut down.

Anyway its done so lets hope we find that solution next season BEFORE this group misses its chance.
Yep "he was the additional midfielder that DOES run"

So, in "hindsight" was it the coach and other staff that chose NOT to select Cousins, the reason for us missing the Cup???

You would have to be kidding with that comment
Sure we won 20 games or whatever
Yeah, just look at the players that got us there FFS....

CJ has risen to a new level and just who knows if he would have played too many games if the Club secured Cousins...

Yeah, jam the hindsight, it means jack sh1t :!: :!:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Milton66
SS Life Member

St Fidelius wrote:
Teflon wrote:Will say again.......NOW with hindsight......to win a flag you gotta take risks.

So, in "hindsight" was it the coach and other staff that chose NOT to select Cousins, the reason for us missing the Cup???

CJ has risen to a new level and just who knows if he would have played too many games if the Club secured Cousins...

What the Fid just said.

saintly_safes
Club Player

Big call I know but imo( which I stated at the time) if we had bit the bullet & picked up Cousins we would be Premiers .A long bow I know but that's imo :cry:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:

You'd have to be the slowest, dumbest fkr on this site I reckon.

To suggest we couldnt use an additional gut running, goal kicking mid that we couldve gotten for the price of a loaf of bread yesterday not only shows your stupidity but highlights your ignorance.

I dont need hindsight to work out your a flog of the highest.

Have issues? take them elsewhere and tell someone who gives a frk you knob.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
santazzi wrote:Guys...why are you looking for a midfielder?......in the game I watched (on TV) I saw the mid field feed the forward often enough....I saw the forward talls crush the ball to the ground.......I saw the smalls get the pill close to the goal..........Let us face it we had 10 lives, 9 of them really liveable......unfortunately every single one of those nine lives were slaughtered...that is it..........as the capitain said in his address at the reception last night ..."we are that good"...........this team is good ..it may need some fine tuning..........but it does not need to shop for a SAVIOR..........
+1

Sadly, some people will never learn, mate.
why dont you teach us all Milton?

we all await the wisdom from a poster who hasnt enough gonads to conjure up his owm opinion and needs others to tell him what to think.

Now theres some insight...

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Interesting, wonder if he would be thinking "what if" about now?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Interesting, wonder if he would be thinking "what if" about now?
Be careful....according to the saintsational "hindsight police" your not allowed to do that on a footy fan website......might incure some Milstons "ironical" posts.... :roll: what input from the oracle...

“Yeah….nah””
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Declining Cousins was one of the defining moments for our club this season. Ross' now infamous speech where he told the players that "if you have to rely on Ben Cousins to win a premiership, we are in more trouble than I thought" was one of the turning points for a lot of our players.

I was right behind the push for Cousins this time last year and was furious that we didn't draft him considering the gap between Geelong and us last year. To the coaching staff and the players credit, we are the best team (regardless of the GF result - we lost it, Geelong didn't win it).

We have other requirements that need to be met. We need youth, not a midfielder in his 30's. Plenty of other players going around that are of and have been of more value than what Ben Cousins would be. Can't believe after the season we have had that this was even mentioned. Ben Cousins would not have made one iota of difference yesterday and to imply he would is just sheer stupidity.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Declining Cousins was one of the defining moments for our club this season. Ross' now infamous speech where he told the players that "if you have to rely on Ben Cousins to win a premiership, we are in more trouble than I thought" was one of the turning points for a lot of our players.

I was right behind the push for Cousins this time last year and was furious that we didn't draft him considering the gap between Geelong and us last year. To the coaching staff and the players credit, we are the best team (regardless of the GF result - we lost it, Geelong didn't win it).

We have other requirements that need to be met. We need youth, not a midfielder in his 30's. Plenty of other players going around that are of and have been of more value than what Ben Cousins would be. Can't believe after the season we have had that this was even mentioned. Ben Cousins would not have made one iota of difference yesterday and to imply he would is just sheer stupidity.
Crap.

Ben Cousins running round for us on GF day wouldve been an additional midfielder Geelong wouldve had to stop in a deep rotation we couldve pulled. To say hed have made no difference is bloody mindedness borne from some moral high ground cause the guy has a drug issue. I dont buy.

Lets not forget - Ross Lyon wanted Ben Cousins...those on the Board didnt.

Would he have been the difference? No. No ones said that from what Ive read. Do we need him in the future? No, weve made that call and have to look forward.

But lets not pretend the guy cant play and IN HINDSIGHT wouldve offered us nothing....Im sure Ross and our conditioning staff wouldve made use of him the best way our club needed.

“Yeah….nah””
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

You'd have to be the slowest, dumbest fkr on this site I reckon.

To suggest we couldnt use an additional gut running, goal kicking mid that we couldve gotten for the price of a loaf of bread yesterday not only shows your stupidity but highlights your ignorance.

I dont need hindsight to work out your a flog of the highest.

Have issues? take them elsewhere and tell someone who gives a frk you knob.
Cut the name calling for a start :idea:

Hindsight king!!

Where were you flogging Cousins during the season :!: :!: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Declining Cousins was one of the defining moments for our club this season. Ross' now infamous speech where he told the players that "if you have to rely on Ben Cousins to win a premiership, we are in more trouble than I thought" was one of the turning points for a lot of our players.

I think you need to give the players a bit more credit than that...