This loss vs 97 GF......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

This loss vs 97 GF......

It hurt more yesterday straight after the game than in '97 due to the closeness of the match.

BUT....

A mere 24 hours later and I'm already looking forward a little to 2010, with more confidence than I had back in '97.

So it's not as bad as '97 in my book!

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Both horrible

saint4life
Sainterman
Club Player

2010 worse for me. So close...

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I found the 97 one harder to deal with probably.

Although couple of the bins and posts outside gate 4 yesterday would probably argue with that

Bring back the Lockett era
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:2010 worse for me. So close...
barracking for a team other than saints in GF 2010

saint4life
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Yeah totally different experiences for me

IN 97 I was in the MCC Members..alone..gutted..went home said nothing, the family tiptoeing around me. Didnt go to Family Day and regretted it later

THis year...gutted again of course, but was surrounded by fellow Sainters who Ive shared the ride with through the year. Took ourselves to the pub for a couple of consoling beers then went home and had pizza with friends. Went to the Family Day today and returned home pretty much free of that numbness. Having a non-footy fan wife helps put things in perspective sometimes....you are forced to drag your mind to some of the other millions of things that are important in the world except footy lol

Still burning for 2010 though!!!!!! :twisted:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Sainterman
Club Player

chook23 wrote:
Sainterman wrote:2010 worse for me. So close...
barracking for a team other than saints in GF 2010
LOL, woops...meant 2009! Rattled today, and it hasnt even taken reincarnated to do it!

:shock: :shock:

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

97 was worse because we gave the Crows their 1st flag.

This year was tough, but I know we will be their again on the last day of September in 2010..

Go Saints!

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

In 97, I was actually more shattered. I started sobbing at the 20 minute mark. I think the reason was that some players didn't fire on the day for various reasons that are now well known to the forum. It was also new and exciting to be in a GF.

This time around it was tought to watch down on the fence with the pouring rain and my ears blocked by my hood. Couldn't read the record because it was too wet.

However, in 97 I was able to watch the replay and watch the Sunday Footy Shows and then go to Moorabbin. This time I was so numb after the game, and I have not read any newspapers, watched any news or Footy Shows and deleted all of the replay. Right now I can't watch it. I know I will but just can't stomach it right now.

Sitting so close to the players this year, I saw the moment was Jason Blake knew that Rooke was going to take that mark. His eyes showed the pain as he was contesting the mark. Then to see the utter devastation on Lenny's face.....I felt like they gave it everything and I felt bad if I felt worse than them.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Sun 27 Sep 2009 10:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

djsburke
Club Player

this year hurts more for me. my husband and eldest son are cats supporters. the younger 2 kids are saints. The hubby knows better than to stir me. I cried when the siren went. he sent me a sms (we were sitting at opposite ends of the ground) saying i'm sorry. i love you.

saintly_safes
Club Player

97 I thought we were odds on to win. It never really crossed my mind that we wouldnt.On Saturday I tryed to stay possitive but at the back of my mind I really thought they would probably win.When we lead at 3/4 time I thought that the adlenline would take over & we could hold on but it was the opposite .They had worked their as-- off to that stage & had little left in the tank but they hung tough unfortunately not long enough :cry:

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

97 I expected to win and was gutted when we didnt. Crows fans made me sick after the game singing our song substituing "Saints" for "Crows". Hated them passionately ever since then. Probably nearly 10 years for me to get over that loss.

09 - didnt expect to win, but thought we could if everything went right on the day. By the time we got to 3/4 time I then really thought we could do it. Devasted when we lost with the thought that we had our chances and let that one slip. Cats fans were nowhere near as feral as Crows fans. What hurts most is we let it slip - it was ours for thre taking. Some consolation that Cats have been a very good team for 3 years.

I now have 2 kids ( I didnt have any in 97) and I looked at them today at the family day and thought geez I'm a lucky man to have 2 great kids.

I will recover quicker from this one, but in hindshight - this is the one we really should have one on the day.

If we lose our next GF - I think I may just give the game away - it just hurts too much. If we win our next one, well I will live happilly ever after.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

'97 they won the game.

'09 we lost the game.

So.....for me, '09 is the hardest.

I had a hotel room 50 meters away from Etihad this w/e, didn't stay tonight, as I kept looking at the Stadium and getting depressed.....

What a waste of coin!!!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:97 I expected to win and was gutted when we didnt. Crows fans made me sick after the game singing our song substituing "Saints" for "Crows". Hated them passionately ever since then. Probably nearly 10 years for me to get over that loss.
You weren't sitting at the front of the Olympic Stand, close to the front were you?

My exact thoughts, down to the last detail. Psychologically damaging, that day. Still recovering.
09 - didnt expect to win, but thought we could if everything went right on the day. By the time we got to 3/4 time I then really thought we could do it. Devasted when we lost with the thought that we had our chances and let that one slip. Cats fans were nowhere near as feral as Crows fans. What hurts most is we let it slip - it was ours for thre taking. Some consolation that Cats have been a very good team for 3 years.
Very true as well.

The difference for me was that in 1997, things looked great as we took control of the match in the 2nd quarter and I didn't think Adelaide were all that flash. Was so sure we could do it, with so many good players on our team, etc.

We were riding the biggest crest of emotion and momentum; we looked unbeatable. Then it all went wrong, so dramatically, so horribly...

Yesterday was bad, but I'm already thinking about next year and where we can improve. I look at things a lot more calculatingly and lot more analytically these days.
If we lose our next GF - I think I may just give the game away - it just hurts too much. If we win our next one, well I will live happilly ever after.
Brilliant finish to a great post :)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I actually think we lost both grand finals in identical fashion.

Broke even in the first quarter.

Dominated the second quarter without creating scoreboard pressure caused by shocking kicking for goal.

Let them back into the game in the third quarter and gave them more than a sniff.

Final quarter - everything went wrong. All the lucky breaks went their way. Got some match ups wrong (Chapman this time) and they cost us big time.

Adelaide 3.8 5.10 11.11 19.11 (125) --> 30 scoring shots
St. Kilda 3.6 7.11 9.13 13.16 (94) --> 29 scoring shots and several misses

The only reason I feel better this time is in 1997 I did not know that Adelaide was a champion team (which they proved with back to back premierships) whereas this year I know Geelong are a champion team.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
VietNam_Saint
Club Player

No comparison.

97 early in the city ,, abused and even spat on by Crows

Flogged ,, no where near amusing finish

Leaving the ground ,, abused and taunted by Crows people.Obnoxious and abusive sad losing Sainters

2009 fair and hard game. Umpiring good, cats supporters excellent before and after .

Even today ,,, they are great and deserving of praise.

I have seen many a barracker and supporter shed a tear ,,, yet to see one of them be a poor loser. Congrats guys ,,,,, Catters have commented to me on this.

What will be next from this club ?
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

For me, Saturday's loss was harder to take. We had won 20 games in the season and we had Geelong by the scruff of their necks in that game, just put didn't them away on the scoreboard.

I didn't get a ticket for the 97 GF, so I was actually upset and felt disenfranchised as a supporter throughout the duration of GF week. The defeat was hard to take, but we were comprehensively beaten in comparsion to 2009 GF.
VietNam_Saint wrote:2009 Umpiring good
strongly disagree. shocking umpiring... infact disgusting :x

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Thomas
Club Player

in 97 I thought it hurts more than 71, now i think this hurt more than 97, the fact is that it is still fresh; and in a few weeks they will hurt the same, it is almost like losing a loved one, with time you learn to live with it but the hurt is still there.

When the going gets tough,the tough gets going.

CARN THE SAINTS.
Schillaci
Club Player

Both bad.
97- Expected to win and bitterly depressed when the Jarman show got rolling.
09- Thought we'd win, had chances and lost to a great team.
Different games but same result/ feeling.
Can understand though how some believe Adelaide loss to be worse given the hype and weight of expectation.

Elvis
Club Player

this one was tougher to swallow than 97

In 97 I was lying in Pindara hospital after a knee reconstruction that was complicated when I slipped in the shower and nearly severed my finger on a ceramic soap holder!!! With my leg and arm in the air and Saints capitulating it was one of the most sour experiences in my 42 years.

But this one was harder to swallow. Nicky's week, no effective ruckmen... there were a few clear excuses in 97, but this time, sheesh...

I'm moving one for my own sanity's sake. We can make it in 2010 but this one has been extremely difficult.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Exactly the same. Left without the only thing that matters in any footy code.

avid
Club Player

Totally on board with Zed's post.

'97 far worse for me.
Geelong were worthy winners

Not that that makes me happy, but I at least I feel somehow decent about it. Still can't get the taste of hatred for Adelaide out of my mouth.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

I was to young to fully understand 97... but 09 i feel so sick and deflated it hurts still.... and will for awhile... that feeling in my stomach is sickening

west57
Club Player

1997 worse for me. 30 points up at half time, only for Jarman to take the game away from us.

2009 - we were always in the game but for the week leading up to the game and throughout the game itself, I always had this unshakeable feeling that we were not going to win. I can't explain it - and I am usually ridiculously optimistic - but I just had bad vibes about the whole thing.

It was one of those games where we dominated the inside 50 count but failed to capitalise, and in games like that it only takes a few straight kicks from the opposition to take the game away from us.

So maybe that's why this loss has been easier for me to swallow. Geelong is a champion team and I kind of thought they were fulfilling their destiny in winning. I even managed to watch the reply up til 3-quarter time yesterday. Not sure when I'll watch the last quarter though.....

Bardon Saint
Club Player

97 was harder for me. I was 15 and in tears through the last quarter. I was more stunned and accepting after the 09 gf. At half time, I said that "this kicking will cost us". I had half a game to prepare myself for it. I was just quiet and contemplative. What if this? What if that? My last two nights of trying to get to sleep have been ordinary. Once again lying there thinking if only.. And then thinking, what do we need to do next year. We did everthing right except kick straight. We followed our 'structures' as we'd done all year. Ughhh. Bring on 2010. We'll be better from the experience.