AFL admits umpiring error!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hotdish
Club Player

AFL admits umpiring error!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 5780259241

Milburn free kick (abuse) - Correct

Hawkins poster - umpire error

Schneider's non-free in the last in the forward 50 - to be commented on today

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 5780259241

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL admits umpiring error!

hotdish wrote:Schneider's non-free in the last in the forward 50 - to be commented on today
My comment is then...he should have changed his shorts after it, as I'm sure the elastic was stretched beyond retention.

west57
Club Player

The thing about Schneider is that he plays for so many frees anyway that when they are actually there, the umpire will often miss them. I'm not defending the umpires, I'm saying that I wish Schneider would get that crap out of his game and just chase the goddamn football.

I think the same thing happened in the game against North where the ump could have paid a blatant in the back free to him inside our 50 in those dying minutes but instead gave it against him for holding the ball.
Last edited by west57 on Mon 28 Sep 2009 1:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Schneider should have received that free kick. Probably the most blatant non-free all day.

Ahh goddamnit.

older saint
SS Life Member

Schnieder free is the one i am bleeding about. If he kicks a goal ( big if) we are 8 points up with 10 minutes left. 1 more would have been home.

BUT
Schnieder appears a marked man after the North game where he clapped the umpire. They hold grudges despite what anyone says. They look atthe player involved in the decision and not just the decision ( see Ablett holding or non holding the ball).

Unfortunately nothing will happen and while the AFL is run by AD and his little gofer AA it will continue. Explain how a sport which players kick the ball occassinally through 2 posts requires 2 umpires on the posta but a game which kicks the ball between 4 posts often does not?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Schnieder free is the one i am bleeding about. If he kicks a goal ( big if) we are 8 points up with 10 minutes left. 1 more would have been home.
Yes, but if him and his team-mates had kicked straight earlier in the game we probably would have been about 36 points up.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

older saint wrote:Schnieder free is the one i am bleeding about. If he kicks a goal ( big if) we are 8 points up with 10 minutes left. 1 more would have been home.

BUT
Schnieder appears a marked man after the North game where he clapped the umpire. They hold grudges despite what anyone says. They look atthe player involved in the decision and not just the decision ( see Ablett holding or non holding the ball).

Unfortunately nothing will happen and while the AFL is run by AD and his little gofer AA it will continue. Explain how a sport which players kick the ball occassinally through 2 posts requires 2 umpires on the posta but a game which kicks the ball between 4 posts often does not?
My thoughts exactly. I don't think the umpires like him too much after the North game and even I have to admit, it was pretty disrespectful what he did! The free kicks were probably there, but to belittle the umpire by taunting him is not doing yourself any favours.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Anyone got a video link to it? The whole crowd stopped when it happened. When the Cats realised that they got away with it, the supporters near me started to laugh. Absolute joke that the only person in ground not to see it was the ump.

Also earlier (maybe 3rd quarter) King was clearly dragged off the ball in front of goal. Should been a clear free kick.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

While the error with the Hawkins goal will again bring about calls for video technology, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou is totally against its introduction.
"One of the beauties of our game, through the research we've done, is (that) it is non-stop and continuous.

"Introducing technology is something that would bring another delay," Demetriou said last year.
Demetriou is an absolute dipshit!

If it ever happens again in a Grand Final costing a team a premeirship, the club should sue this arsewipe for the million plus dollars it would lose as a result and get this prick sacked and booted for his incompetence.

WHY in this day and age in such a professional sport such as AFL, we do not use video camera's with appointed officials to overrule blatantly incorrect decisions via the technology available is incomprehensible.

I'd have two goal umpires,( one on each goal post ) at each end plus video goal umpires/appointed officials to overrule absolute blatant errors, if the two goal umpires still don't get it right and camera's everywhere to make it virtually impossible to make an error.

I'd like to live in a parallel universe and see what the result would have been if Dawson had the kick in instead of Geelong kicking two goals in 20 seconds!

We will never know, but FAIR DINKUM it is gross negligence by this imbecile to not make use of the technology available to get a correct decision.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Schillaci
Club Player

Schneider's non free in the last quarter was an error.
What may have cost him is his staging for frees and like of clapping his hands for umpire decisions as has already been commented on.
In the first quarter he fell to his knees pleading a 50 to take him to the goal line. Moments later he kicked the goal anyway. No need to stage.
In the third quarter he took possession in the centre square made out he was being held up so he couldn't play on, fell to his knees again.

With regards to the non decision, I know if I was an umpire and had some doubt and then saw it was Schneider throwing his arms out appealing I wouldn't pay it.

I thought by and large the umpires did a good job.
What's done is done.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Yep...and Schneider would have absolutely nailed the goal eh??? :roll:

If we'd have taken our opportunities when they presented themselves, we'd have been 6 goals in front at that point and no-one would care.

If we were the Premiers this morning and read about Geelong bleating about frees, we'd be screaming at them to suck it up, winners are grinners etc etc..but cos they won we want a royal commision and the result changed??

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Solar
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Yep...and Schneider would have absolutely nailed the goal eh??? :roll:

If we'd have taken our opportunities when they presented themselves, we'd have been 6 goals in front at that point and no-one would care.

If we were the Premiers this morning and read about Geelong bleating about frees, we'd be screaming at them to suck it up, winners are grinners etc etc..but cos they won we want a royal commision and the result changed??
agreed, part of me is glad the final score was 12 because no-one in the club can use that decision as an excuse. But the AFL need to come in and have two umpires and maybe someone in the stand also. Scarey that a grand final can have that happen

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigred
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
While the error with the Hawkins goal will again bring about calls for video technology, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou is totally against its introduction.
"One of the beauties of our game, through the research we've done, is (that) it is non-stop and continuous.

"Introducing technology is something that would bring another delay," Demetriou said last year.
Demetriou is an absolute dipshit!

If it ever happens again in a Grand Final costing a team a premeirship, the club should sue this arsewipe for the million plus dollars it would lose as a result and get this prick sacked and booted for his incompetence.

WHY in this day and age in such a professional sport such as AFL, we do not use video camera's with appointed officials to overrule blatantly incorrect decisions via the technology available is incomprehensible.

I'd have two goal umpires,( one on each goal post ) at each end plus video goal umpires/appointed officials to overrule absolute blatant errors, if the two goal umpires still don't get it right and camera's everywhere to make it virtually impossible to make an error.

I'd like to live in a parallel universe and see what the result would have been if Dawson had the kick in instead of Geelong kicking two goals in 20 seconds!

We will never know, but FAIR DINKUM it is gross negligence by this imbecile to not make use of the technology available to get a correct decision.
Yep. Agreed.

Just imagine if the cats had of won by 4 points.

I think there would have been a riot.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Yep...and Schneider would have absolutely nailed the goal eh??? :roll:

It is interesting, is it not that the umpire who did not pay the obvious free kick to Schnieder grew up supporting Geelong as a kid, shyte he's still very young and he lived in the Geelong area!

Nothing less than a royal commission should suffice!

I'm not suggesting the result be changed, but fair's fair, we should all rock back to the MCG next saturday, award Schnieder the free kick and play out the time remaining on the clock.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

At the end of the day, the boys have no one to blame but themselves!

I don't care about the Hawkins poster or the Schneider non-free, we had more than our fair share of chances to seal the deal and weren't good enough to do so.

Let's not resort to the level of Doggies fans, they're still pleading that they were robbed in the prelim. Bet you that the majority of them think that they'd be premiers right now if the "umpires didn't screw them".

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

agreed and I have a feeing that stkilda will use their loss to spur them on while the dogs might have found an excuse and not improve, it's all mental

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
older saint
SS Life Member

No arguing that the players kicked them sleve sout of the game and put themselves in a position that these decisions matter, however if Raph Clarke, Milne and manyothers are being scrutinised ( or thrown under the bus) then it is only fair that blatent mistakes by umpires are also looked at

Moods
Saintsational Legend

west57 wrote:The thing about Schneider is that he plays for so many frees anyway that when they are actually there, the umpire will often miss them. I'm not defending the umpires, I'm saying that I wish Schneider would get that crap out of his game and just chase the goddamn football.

I think the same thing happened in the game against North where the ump could have paid a blatant in the back free to him inside our 50 in those dying minutes but instead gave it against him for holding the ball.
Agree completely. We all mock other players who stage for frees (and rightfully so) and I love the schneiderman, but we're not playing soccer where every second player rolls around after they've been touched. Clutching at his back in the 1st quarter when Scarlett walked near him was as embarrassing as it gets, and would make umpy's second guess any free they paid to him.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

What lost us the game was the fact that NO-ONE went up and contested that last kick-in!!
We pride ourselves on 'Forward Pressure' and locking it inside the 50... but the Cats got away with that one too easily.

Get better, Saints!!... I know you can.. Bulk up over Summer.. Hopefully Goose and X can contribute next year.. Get some games into Rhys and Budgie....... Armo! Call Banger and start running with him FFS! You can put your head over it, but you've just got to get fitter, son!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
degruch
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:What lost us the game was the fact that NO-ONE went up and contested that last kick-in!!
Good point. But at that stage, every Saint would have been in our forward 50, right? Yet the kick-in went to a pack including Roo and Taylor, who had a broken hand! I just think we had run out of steam.

west57
Club Player

Yep - for our much-vaunted forward pressure, the Cats mopped up out of our forward 50 way too easily, esp Mackie and Taylor.

GSG
Club Player

No doubt, they absolutely stuffed up and we lost.
But the whole point is …. had the goal not been paid, this would have meant that Geelong too was kicking inaccurately, particularly so close to the goal, and doubt could have crept into their minds. Also, no goal, no middle bounce, but a kick in, which would not have resulted in 11 points ahead for Geelong. It most definitely would have changed the make-up of the game, as it was a very close one. And this has absolutely nothing to do with Schneider staging for frees.

The result can’t be changed, but the Demetriou should not just shrug his shoulders and say…. c’est la vie …. the game is fast and mistakes happen. He should do everything possible that such a bad mistake is never ever happening again in a GF. Unfortunately, I doubt it will change anything. Imagine if this had happened to Collingwood - WW3 would be breaking out by now.

BUT ….the Saints stuffed up and we, the supporters, just have to suck it up and get on with life and look forward to the next footy season

Bono
Club Player

[quote="west57"]The thing about Schneider is that he plays for so many frees anyway that when they are actually there, the umpire will often miss them. I'm not defending the umpires, I'm saying that I wish Schneider would get that crap out of his game and just chase the goddamn football.

I think the same thing happened in the game against North where the ump could have paid a blatant in the back free to him inside our 50 in those dying minutes but instead gave it against him for holding the ball.[/quote]

The free against in the North mach was wrong and the Umpires admitted it. Schneider should have got that free but it incorrectly went against him.

I do agree that he playes for to many frees - he ducks his head and / or goes to ground and the Umpires know he purposely does it.

......as for Ablett, how many times whould he have been pinged for holding the ball. It took until the third time for the Umpire to pay one against him.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

THat's the point about schneider though isn't it? The irony from all this acting is that when he does get illegally infringed the umpy's are loathe to pay it, as they are unsure whether it's some theatrical performance or actually a free. I find it even more frustrating in hindsight when the umpys agree that it was a free.

Umpy's a human and if they think they are constantly being had, they will start second guessing the players that are guilty of it.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Ablett just keeps moving. So so strong. He can have a couple of sets of hands on him but he still maintains controlled momentum. technically he's held in possession, but the fact he keeps 'alive' means he never gets pinged.

Credit where it's due. Jesus he's spectacularly good.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'