Did Chapman Smell?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Hollywood
Club Player

Did Chapman Smell?

He must have B.O. We refused to man him up and gave him 10-15 seconds to gather and kick. Zone is a zone, but you are still responsible for your direct opponent. No names required, but it occured too many times for not even a coach to send a message.

Smile in adversity
Rise in a test
Inner glow when challenged
Together we will find success
Schillaci
Club Player

Three players I was worried about pre game....Ablett, Stevie J and Chappy.

Ablett kept to 25 possies, 1 goal by Jones who stuck to him like sh!t to a blanket. Jones goal before half time gave Gazza something to think about. CJ had 15 possies, 1 goal himself to be one of our best.

Stevie J was destroyed by Baker to the point where he was arguably the least effective player on the ground. Certainly was in the first half. He finished with 9 possies for the day and didn't trouble the scorers, whilst Baker had 12 possessions himself and that heroic save when he crashed into the goalpost to deny Rooke and the Cats. Was also in our best.

Chappy...yeah, well he plays for the Cats and you can't tag all the b@stards.

Another thing that hurt us was Bartel when he went to Hayes. Hayes had 11 possies and a goal in the first quarter. No doubting the Cats are a good team, full of good players....they were always going to be hard to beat.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Chapman always kills us, has for years

Before Im 85
Hollywood
Club Player

Did Chapman Smell

My point was that he was not manned up at critical times to the extent that he had so much time he wasn't placed under the pressure so many others were. The time he turned around and kicked the screw goal at the City end was testament to the lack of pressure he was placed under when he had a direct opponent - or did he? That is my question. If he did, he wasn't good enough. If he didn't - why not?

Smile in adversity
Rise in a test
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:Chapman always kills us, has for years
He kills everyone...name a team he can't kick 4 goals on. Hilarious that he was labelled a has-been by an esteemed member of the umpiring community in 2006!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:Three players I was worried about pre game....Ablett, Stevie J and Chappy.

Ablett kept to 25 possies, 1 goal by Jones who stuck to him like sh!t to a blanket. Jones goal before half time gave Gazza something to think about. CJ had 15 possies, 1 goal himself to be one of our best.

Stevie J was destroyed by Baker to the point where he was arguably the least effective player on the ground. Certainly was in the first half. He finished with 9 possies for the day and didn't trouble the scorers, whilst Baker had 12 possessions himself and that heroic save when he crashed into the goalpost to deny Rooke and the Cats. Was also in our best.

Another thing that hurt us was Bartel when he went to Hayes. Hayes had 11 possies and a goal in the first quarter. No doubting the Cats are a good team, full of good players....they were always going to be hard to beat.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I simply cannot help but wonder whether - given the conditions - Armo would have been the better selection over Sean Dempster. Just that one extra hard ball winning ferocious ground level mud hog to steal a bit of heat from Hayes and Bally and who has shown a little bit of an ability to burgle the odd snap. 20/20 vision with hindsight, I know....

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Hollywood
Club Player

Armo

No engine. Doesn't work hard enough - yet!

Smile in adversity
Rise in a test
Beej
Saintsational Legend

I thought Dempster was worth his spot.

His role in curbing the influence of Enright who was in red-hot form cannot be underestimated.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:Chapman always kills us, has for years
Probably feels the need to justify his comments a few years back :roll:

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

For the last five years I have only been worried about one Geelong player - and, alas, he proved me right yet again. There is no substitute for the ability to kick the football with precision to team advanatge.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:Stevie J was destroyed by Baker to the point where he was arguably the least effective player on the ground.
If we had of won, it would have been touted as the greatest tagging role of all time. Johnson got his first possession in the 3rd quarter.

I am still in awe of Steven Baker's performance to point that I probably get the #10 on the next Saints guernsey I buy. He had a tremendous season, considering people almost wrote his career off last year.

But getting back to Chapman - he is a receiver! but unfortunately a damn good one at that.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Regardelss of Chapman's ability, he was given a lot of room to move and didn't need to contest that hard for his goals - my Geelong mate asked who was Chapman's man as he was never very close...in all the talk of missed goals, I think this was one of our stuff-ups.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Regardelss of Chapman's ability, he was given a lot of room to move and didn't need to contest that hard for his goals - my Geelong mate asked who was Chapman's man as he was never very close...in all the talk of missed goals, I think this was one of our stuff-ups.
We're talking about 8 relatively easy shots at goal stuffed...Chappy would have needed to impersonated Plugger to pull that off.

Hollywood
Club Player

Chapman Opponent

We cannot hide from the fact that Chapman kicked the goals that won them the game and they were at critical times. If you don't man up, your accountability is questioned. We weren't, either by design (zone) or unable (talent).

Smile in adversity
Rise in a test
spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Chapman Opponent

Hollywood wrote:We cannot hide from the fact that Chapman kicked the goals that won them the game and they were at critical times. If you don't man up, your accountability is questioned. We weren't, either by design (zone) or unable (talent).
Who was his man on the day?

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="Schillaci"]

quote]

Exactly! A great team with depth to burn and inevitably at least one will bob up and threaten to be a match winner.

Why didn't we man him up, I don't know? to risk taking Baker off Stevie J and put him on Chappy and then Stevie J being their match winner, which could so easily have been the case, you only have so many options and almost every match-up is a risk in the dying stages.

Just don't know!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Hollywood
Club Player

Capman's Opposite Number

No names, just have a look at the replay. Love the player and his future. I question his role when he has Chapman as a direct opponent. Perhaps he wasn't told to man him up. It looked horrible when he had zero opponents on multiple occasions and he hurt us by foot when unpressed.

Smile in adversity
Rise in a test
saintly_safes
Club Player

Schillaci wrote:Three players I was worried about pre game....Ablett, Stevie J and Chappy.

....they were always going to be hard to beat.[/quote]
The worst thing is we had the chance & next year they wont be any easier
& thats if we make it again .That alone will be a tough assignment, lets hope the pain of defeat can will them to go one step further :(

python
Club Player

that goal he kicked in the third quarter is as much rooke's as it is his. When the ball hit the ground, gilbert was half a step behind him, rooke laid a shepard, and gilbert could not get near him, and it was really a simple goal for chapman

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Chapman Opponent

spert wrote:...Who was his man on the day?
It changed a bit, but I think Sam Gilbert had him most of the time after quarter time. We really needed two Steven Bakers.