AFL admits umpiring error!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

So if Schneider is getting penalized for his 'acting' then why does Ablett get so many frees and so much time to dispose of the footy when he is correctly tackled?

Why don't the same umpires who obviously don't like Schneider 'staging' not pursue the same policy with Ablett?

All the brouhaha over the Lake/Roo incident last week and hardly a mention of the absolute howler paid to GAblett against O'Brien in the goalsquare.

I think it's not as simple as the umpires just don't like paying frees to 'stagers'. I think there is sonething deeper there. What it is I don't know.

Afterall, the worst 'stager' of all still gets plenty of frees paid to him - Brent Harvey.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:So if Schneider is getting penalized for his 'acting' then why does Ablett get so many frees and so much time to dispose of the footy when he is correctly tackled?

Why don't the same umpires who obviously don't like Schneider 'staging' not pursue the same policy with Ablett?

All the brouhaha over the Lake/Roo incident last week and hardly a mention of the absolute howler paid to GAblett against O'Brien in the goalsquare.

I think it's not as simple as the umpires just don't like paying frees to 'stagers'. I think there is sonething deeper there. What it is I don't know.

Afterall, the worst 'stager' of all still gets plenty of frees paid to him - Brent Harvey.
In my opinion that was an obvious free to Ablett. I was at the game and from the moment the ball was kicked O'Brien was facing Ablett rather than the ball. Ablett was smart enough to pull O'Brien into him just as the ball got near and O'brien lost his balance and fell on Ablett. Actually quite brilliant.

Gilbo was the same as O'brien - b/c Ablett is so strong he was too worried about Ablett prior to the ball coming in. In actual fact Gilbo didn't do much wrong, but probably paid too much attention to Ablett.

THinlines explanation as to why Ablett rarely gets penalised is spot on I reckon. Because Ablett is always moving he is often on the cusp of being penalised, but not quite. Part of a correct tackle is that you must retard the player. Ablett is so strong almost impossible to do this unless he's taken by complete surprise, or there are two tacklers.

My fear before the game was that Ablett, Chappy, Selwood and Johnson would be the difference on the day. I was correct with two of em I reckon.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:So if Schneider is getting penalized for his 'acting' then why does Ablett get so many frees and so much time to dispose of the footy when he is correctly tackled?

I hope you are not suggesting that there is something corrupt going on within the AFL.

I will remind you that Ace has a copyright on all such suggestions and that Plugger66 has a copyright on all denials.
Last edited by ace on Mon 28 Sep 2009 6:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
suss
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Ablett just keeps moving. So so strong. He can have a couple of sets of hands on him but he still maintains controlled momentum. technically he's held in possession, but the fact he keeps 'alive' means he never gets pinged.

Credit where it's due. Jesus he's spectacularly good.
I don't know what 'keeping it alive' means. It's not rugby. If a gets caught with it - ping him. And if he uses shonky disposal ala Selwood - ping that too.

Take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbsjCOIV ... re=related

At the 25:53 minute mark of the final term he dives on the ball. He’s tackled so he hands it to Corey. Corey’s tackled so he hands it back to Ablett. Both of whom are being tackled the whole time. The balls spills out.

Johnson dives on it. He is tackled. Any call? No. Waiting. Any call? Still no holding the ball. Ablett comes in and pulls it out of the pack. Every single player has stopped because, after 30 seconds of Geelong players diving on it they expect a decision.

The umpires calls ‘play on’.

The little bald prick gets away with s*** like this constantly. They ping in round 1 and forget about in round 5.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:

In my opinion that was an obvious free to Ablett. I was at the game and from the moment the ball was kicked O'Brien was facing Ablett rather than the ball. Ablett was smart enough to pull O'Brien into him just as the ball got near and O'brien lost his balance and fell on Ablett. Actually quite brilliant.

Gilbo was the same as O'brien - b/c Ablett is so strong he was too worried about Ablett prior to the ball coming in. In actual fact Gilbo didn't do much wrong, but probably paid too much attention to Ablett.

THinlines explanation as to why Ablett rarely gets penalised is spot on I reckon. Because Ablett is always moving he is often on the cusp of being penalised, but not quite. Part of a correct tackle is that you must retard the player. Ablett is so strong almost impossible to do this unless he's taken by complete surprise, or there are two tacklers.

My fear before the game was that Ablett, Chappy, Selwood and Johnson would be the difference on the day. I was correct with two of em I reckon.
I only saw it on tv and the umpire paid the free kick to Ablett for 'holding' by O'Brien. It was blatantly obvious that Ablett grabbed O'ZBrien. It had nothing to do with O'Brien falling on ABlett.

As for 'retarding' the player.
The rule states, I believe, that when tackled the player must dispose of the ball correctly by hand or foot. Nowhere does it state that the tackled player is allowed to try and 'break' the tackle with impugnity and without disposing of the ball. If he has had prior opportunity to dispose of the footy and is tackled correctly, then he is supposed to be penalized.

ace
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
Thinline wrote:Ablett just keeps moving. So so strong.
Steriods will do that for you, but they do make your hair fall out.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
suss wrote:
And you balls shrink :wink:

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
bozza1980
Club Player

The umpires must give Schneider some credit because I have no idea how you can stage it so it looks like your jumper is being pulled without it being pulled.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Excellent point. There were a lot of comments re-Ablett from non-St Kilda supporters in regards his 'staging' for frees that has been going on for 2+ years now. My suggestion for us next year is to shave all the players heads bald. Might do the trick. Ablett does not have a lot of fans amongst general footy supporters. They find him an irritant more than a superstar. He is a fantastic player, but he has taken over in the hype stakes right were Judd left off.

Schneider is not normally a blatant 'stager' IMO. I think the words he had with one of the umpires a few weeks back might have been his problem. Can't say I blame Schneider. It is freakin' frustrating as a supporter, let alone if you are out there in the heat of the game.

We have to learn to live with the result. The obvious point and free won't change a thing. The only time the AFL has changed the result of the game was against us, not for us. Certainly don't want us to be carrying on like the pathetic Bulldogs supporters after the prelim. We, like them, had our chances.

We know how good this team is and the only good thing to come out of this loss is the pain that will drive them to excel even further next year. Bring on 2010!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Nick_Dal_Santo = ChAmPiOn
Club Player

The schneider one, I saw the umpire put the whistle in his mouth AS it happened, then took it out.

He knew it was a free kick that piece of s***!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:What lost us the game was the fact that NO-ONE went up and contested that last kick-in!!
We pride ourselves on 'Forward Pressure' and locking it inside the 50... but the Cats got away with that one too easily.

Get better, Saints!!... I know you can.. Bulk up over Summer.. Hopefully Goose and X can contribute next year.. Get some games into Rhys and Budgie....... Armo! Call Banger and start running with him FFS! You can put your head over it, but you've just got to get fitter, son!
But what about the forward pressure in the first half?

How the heck did the Cats score 7 goals from only 15 inside 50's?

That must be a record almost!

undecided
Club Player

Nick_Dal_Santo = ChAmPiOn wrote:The schneider one, I saw the umpire put the whistle in his mouth AS it happened, then took it out.

He knew it was a free kick that piece of s***!
I've said it somewhere else and that umpire should never umpire a game again.

Can someone YouTube it for me

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
Thinline wrote:Ablett just keeps moving. So so strong. He can have a couple of sets of hands on him but he still maintains controlled momentum. technically he's held in possession, but the fact he keeps 'alive' means he never gets pinged.

Credit where it's due. Jesus he's spectacularly good.
I don't know what 'keeping it alive' means. It's not rugby. If a gets caught with it - ping him. And if he uses shonky disposal ala Selwood - ping that too.

Take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbsjCOIV ... re=related

At the 25:53 minute mark of the final term he dives on the ball. He’s tackled so he hands it to Corey. Corey’s tackled so he hands it back to Ablett. Both of whom are being tackled the whole time. The balls spills out.

Johnson dives on it. He is tackled. Any call? No. Waiting. Any call? Still no holding the ball. Ablett comes in and pulls it out of the pack. Every single player has stopped because, after 30 seconds of Geelong players diving on it they expect a decision.

The umpires calls ‘play on’.

The little bald prick gets away with s*** like this constantly. They ping in round 1 and forget about in round 5.
It's not about keeping the ball alive. I said he 'stays alive as in he keeps momentum through the tackle. His hands are inevitably free and his legs are always propelling him somewhere becasue the prick simply does not/ refuses to go to ground. He needs to be retarded (so to speak).

The link you put up doesn't woprk so IU cant comment on that particulalr incident.

Mate, don't get me wrong, I feel your pain and frustration, but after thinking it through I reckon the bigger issue is the amount of throws he gets away with after being slung, not the amount of times he's half grabbed and 'ball' is claimed...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

The little cheat outrages me.

Get's a free ride every week. Must hold the record for most goals kicked due to laughable charities in a season.

Bring back the Lockett era
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
suss wrote:
Ace old chum you keep intimating at this rather sensational allegation and I'm intrigued as to what it is you think you know...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:The little cheat outrages me.

Get's a free ride every week. Must hold the record for most goals kicked due to laughable charities in a season.
There's a challenge in here somewhere for anyone with the time and technological capability to package up a 'lowlights' reel...

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

saint66au wrote:Yep...and Schneider would have absolutely nailed the goal eh??? :roll:

If we'd have taken our opportunities when they presented themselves, we'd have been 6 goals in front at that point and no-one would care.

If we were the Premiers this morning and read about Geelong bleating about frees, we'd be screaming at them to suck it up, winners are grinners etc etc..but cos they won we want a royal commision and the result changed??
There are threads every week about bad umpiring decisions. Some people only notice them when we lose.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Thank goodness it was us geelong beat and not fremantle.

can you imagine those turkeys threatening legal action after the GF.

St Kilda lost, naval gazing isn't going to help, lets at least show we are classier than those peasants out west the shemantle shockers.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!