Why did the umpires put the whistle away

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Why did the umpires put the whistle away

It really puzzles me that just because it is the Grand Final and it's close the umpires stopped paying free kicks.
I mean you almost had to get killed to get one in the last quarter.
If the free kick is there, it should be paid, you just can't change how you umpire a game for 1 quarter.
I have no doubt the umoires we're instructed to let the game go for the last quarter, pity, because the rules of the game hadn't changed.
Schneiders hold was blatant and would have been paid in any other match at anytime for the previous 25 weeks.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Young Georgie
Club Player

Perhaps an AFL directive, perhaps an umpires pact to go down in history, perhaps coincidence, perhaps Lady Luck giving us the bird for the umpteenth time.

As has been discussed already Schneider hasn't done himself any favours with his whinging and staging - works for Ablett and the Pies but never a Saint.

They were average but still, can't blame the umps for the loss - there was something about the way the game unfolded that suggested we were never meant to win it no matter what.

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why did the umpires put the whistle away

3rd generation saint wrote:It really puzzles me that just because it is the Grand Final and it's close the umpires stopped paying free kicks.
If the free kick is there, it should be paid, you just can't change how you umpire a game for 1 quarter.
I have no doubt the umoires we're instructed to let the game go for the last quarter, pity, because the rules of the game hadn't changed.
Schneiders hold was blatant and would have been paid in any other match at anytime for the previous 25 weeks.
I can't help it, but I keep asking the question;

Was the Schnieder "hold" any more or any less than the Ablett "hold" in the 2nd Q that resulted in a goal? My interpretation of the rules would see the Schnieder one paid and the Ablett one called play on, but it wasn't to be !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saint64
Club Player

There were many that could have been paid that weren't. Schneider's was an obvious one. Dempster had his arm chopped while going for a mark. Riewoldt got monstered in the goal square. Joey had hands all over his head and shoulders while tring to juggle a mark. On the other side - Ablett should have got one about 50 metres out, and Jason Blake should have been done for deliberate out of bounds when he chose to carry it over.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Should have been paid.. Schneider' very unlucky, mind you he should have kicked the goal in the 1st quarter and last quarter, normally sodas for him.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

as someone noted to me=- "no whistles- no mistakes -"

But in not paying them they are having just as much impact

PS: I agree with what I read elswhere- the blinkers to the Cats' slick' handballs ' have been on all year. so many throws

and just because he's still standing - although not moving - with the ball in hand is STILL holding the ball Gary- being held onto by 3 players.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Should have been paid.. Schneider' very unlucky, mind you he should have kicked the goal in the 1st quarter and last quarter, normally sodas for him.
I don't believe the umpires 'put the whistle away' at any stage of the game, most frees that were there were paid. The only major one missed was Schnieder's...not a bad day by the umps, I've seen much worse where Geelong's involved.

100% correct SW...no point in scratching our heads about a free or two when there were so many easy goals missed.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the umpire blinsided to the Schneider hold in the last term?

If so, they can't make the call if they can't see the hold!!!

We really need boundary umpires making decisions when they can see obvious frees.

OR....

Go with Ron Barassi's idea of 4 field umpires that operate from the outside looking in and also double up as boundary umpires.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why did the umpires put the whistle away

Eastern wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:It really puzzles me that just because it is the Grand Final and it's close the umpires stopped paying free kicks.
I can't help it, but I keep asking the question;

Was the Schnieder "hold" any more or any less than the Ablett "hold" in the 2nd Q that resulted in a goal? My interpretation of the rules would see the Schnieder one paid and the Ablett one called play on, but it wasn't to be !!
My thoughts exactly and I didn't say this to any non Saint supporter because I didn't want to be accused of sour grapes but that Schneider non-decision was a disgrace. I think the Ablett decision was technically correct but on that basis, Schneider was definitely held too. Fair is fair.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

intentional directive.

Make no mistake.

They were told to pull their heads in at half time.

No doubt about it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the umpire blinsided to the Schneider hold in the last term?

We really need boundary umpires making decisions when they can see obvious frees.

OR....

Go with Ron Barassi's idea of 4 field umpires that operate from the outside looking in and also double up as boundary umpires.
Consider yourself corrected.

I automatically thought of here is a blantant free kick. Schnieders almost has his shorts pulled off him - you can see him being physically held back. The umpire is 5-8 metres away looking directly at the contest - puts his whistle to his mouth and then says - "play on".

I stood there stunned that he could do that. Just stunned.

As Sam Newman says - it is not the ones they give - it is the ones they dont.

It was appalling and bordered on negligent.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
ace
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the umpire blinsided to the Schneider hold in the last term?

OR....

Consider yourself corrected.

I automatically thought of here is a blantant free kick. Schnieders almost has his shorts pulled off him - you can see him being physically held back. The umpire is 5-8 metres away looking directly at the contest - puts his whistle to his mouth and then says - "play on".

Another of those "Whoopee the umpires are going to have a win moments. I'll teach him to never clap an umpire again".

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Still the worst decision was the goal umpire not noticing the ball change direction off the post. He is paid to watch the ball travel through a small area and totally stuffed it.

I was watching in St Kilda at a pub and 2 Scottish guys (who knew all the names and nicknames of the saints players -not bad for foriegners) said that in roundball football that would have sparked a riot and probably a royal commision.

They couldn't believe that in the biggest game of the year something so unprofessional happened. The AFL should get a second goal umpire if they cant get reliable people take on the job on their own.

Wollongong_saint
Club Player

Too many what ifs....... stop doing it to yourselves, it only makes the pain worse!!!

In my opinion Schneider had it coming (unfairly) after his umpire directed outburst in Tassie (I think).......the circumstances of the umpires' retribution could not have been worse.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

No one can justify the Sneider non decision, the umpire saw it so only some form of bias cahanged his mind what else could it be. The Ablett free was more disapointing if you put in to context the fact he led once and received a infringment free, while Roo and Kosi would have had worse treatment throughout the day and got nil.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
StSteven
Club Player

I steeled myself today and watched the last quarter. Cats fans could easily argue they missed a number of frees also, some in front of goal plus Milburn head high, Ablett head high, Wojinzki pinged when he was grabbed after he bounced it.

I would not recommend watching it for a while yet though.......very upsetting.

goyousaints
Club Player

Ablett gets twice as long to dispose the ball than every other player on the ground

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Still the worst decision was the goal umpire not noticing the ball change direction off the post. He is paid to watch the ball travel through a small area and totally stuffed it.
What about the 3 field umpires and 2 boundary umpires?:x

ace
Saintsational Legend

goyousaints wrote:Ablett gets twice as long to dispose the ball than every other player on the ground
Rule of the game 666.
Inserted by Demetriou as compensation after GAblett missed out on two Brownlows.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

ace
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:I steeled myself today and watched the last quarter. Cats fans could easily argue they missed a number of frees also, some in front of goal plus Milburn head high, Ablett head high, Wojinzki pinged when he was grabbed after he bounced it.

I would not recommend watching it for a while yet though.......very upsetting.
If you bounce the ball you are still in possession.
Back in the sixties players like Baldock made an art out of bouncing just before getting tackled, throwing out their arms to show the umpire they were not in possesion and getting a free.
The rule was deliberately changed to prevent this.

Duggie
Club Player

goyousaints wrote:Ablett gets twice as long to dispose the ball than every other player on the ground
Not really-- even though he annoys me to the hilt.
Just watch how he keeps his arms free 99% of the time and how he spins around in the tackle while looking for a teammate to handball to. He sa mastered that art and plays it within the rule. How many times have you seen him pinged for dropping the ball?

A Saint Forever!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

The umpire in question, Shaun Ryan who grew up in the Geelong area and supported Geelong as a kid, ( still quite young ) put the whistle to his mouth and decided in a split second to not pay it......................

mmm, he umpired last years Grand Final, perhaps he couldn't bear to see his beloved Cats get beaten in another Grand Final,

Yes it was appalling, but perhaps bordering more on, quite deliberate!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Ackland St. Blues
Club Player

St. Kilda were getting the rub of the green in the first half - that free kick to Dempster was terrible.

The Cats didn't get a chance to square up in the second half as the whistle was put away.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Ackland St. Blues wrote:St. Kilda were getting the rub of the green in the first half - that free kick to Dempster was terrible.

The Cats didn't get a chance to square up in the second half as the whistle was put away.
Yeah getting an elbow in the face a shocking decsion :roll:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
Ackland St. Blues wrote:St. Kilda were getting the rub of the green in the first half - that free kick to Dempster was terrible.

Yeah getting an elbow in the face a shocking decsion :roll:
He's not looking for reasoned debate - he's just here to annoy us as he can't go home to cheating park - they're cleaning out some of the rubbish there atm
I wonder if the gouger got his jumper back yet?