What price a flag?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Junior
Club Player

What price a flag?

How much do the playing list want to play in a premiership?
How much does Fevola want to play in a premiership?

If I was Lyon this is what I would be doing today.

First thing phone Fevola and ask does he really want to play for ST Kilda. If the answer is yes then tell him he has to take a $150k pay cut. If he is serious about having the chance of playing for ST Kilda and in a premiership then he will do this. $550k a year is still a nice little earner. If he says no to a pay cut then we move on, if he says yes we then contact Carlton.

We ask Carlton how much of Fevola’s salary are they prepared to pay. One would think that if they are serious about moving him on that they would pay at least half, therefore they pay $350k of his current deal of $700k. That therefore leaves $200k to find for us if Fevola will play for $550k.

The next step is to then speak to the leadership group and ask if they are willing to support a bid to obtain Fevola. If so then the next step is to say that we need to find $200k . I would ask the leadership group if they were prepared to take a pay cut of $28k each(Based on 7 leaders) to fund Fevola’s salary. Bearing in mind that this is only about $14k after tax.

I am sure if you had of said to the players last week that if you hand over about $14k in after tax dollars to win a premiership or to keep the playing group together they would have done it.

Make no mistake we did not only lose on Saturday due to poor conversion we also lost because on our poor efficiency from our inside 50’s. This was also the case in a number of games in the second half of the season, so clearly our forward line was not functioning well.

Of course the figures above are guess work, but it does demonstrate that it is achievable, I reckon the harder thing would be to find an adequate trade.

Sometimes to succed you need to think outside of the circle without just saying Fevola is too expensive.

The question is what price are people prepared to pay to give the club a better chance of winning a flag.

One player does not guarantee a flag but one player can certianly significantly increase your chances of winning a flag.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Saints94
SS Life Member

The question is what do we trade for him?..........................

Ackland St. Blues
Club Player

What price a flag?

Should ask Geelong. They know.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Ackland St. Blues wrote:What price a flag?

Mate are you just here to cause trouble if so piss off!

Junior
Club Player

No we should ask the carlton cheats they won them with brown paper bag payments.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I thought 28 spoons was already a fair price to pay to be honest...

Wrong was I.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

what price a flag??

about 3 dolla fiddy 8-)

Ackland St. Blues
Club Player

As if I follow Carlton. Ackland St. is in St. Kilda and the natural state of St. Kilda supporters is to have the "blues". End of.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Ackland St. Blues wrote:As if I follow Carlton. Ackland St. is in St. Kilda and the natural state of St. Kilda supporters is to have the "blues". End of.
Of course you follow the blues. You have a case of the "Cain Ackland" Blues.

Any halfwit knows that 'Acland Street' in St Kilda does not have a K...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Ackland St. Blues
Club Player

I didn't say that I can spell!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Why stop at a $150k pay cut.

I'd be asking for a $300k pay cut.

Cos thats how I roll.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

We have the team NOW for a flag.

we don't need to tinker at the edges.

what we need is belief in our ability. I bet the guys who missed goals would kick them 95% of the time at training.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Whats the price for an effective Goal Kicking Coach?
Thats the price for a flag!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Junior
Club Player

I am not saying that I would recruit Fevola, but just pointing out that if Lyon and the players thought he might be worthwhile then they could make it happen.

No doubt on Saturday if we had of kicked straight we would have won the flag. Regardless of this everyone seems to want gloss over the fact that our scoring shots for our amount of entries into fifty was terrible and this was the case for most of the second half of the season.

Just because we would have won if we kicked straight this year is of no use in 2010. We will need to improve again to get back to the grand final and from what I saw late in the year our biggest problem was our efficiency inside our attacking 50. Whether Fevola is the answer or whether Tom Lynch can step up I do not know. If we had of had a couple more shots at goal we could of won regardless of our inacurate licking for goal. Saturday was not the only game this year that we lost when we dominated the inside 50 count.

But I think the club should explore all options and not dismiss anything as it would be too hard to achieve. I have full confidence that Drain and Lyon will of course do this and will make the right decision.

We were the best team all year and the best team for most of the Grand Final yet despite smacking Geelong in the inside 50 count we only manged 3 more shots on goal. This would be ringing alarm bells to the coaching panel and Ross Lyon commented on this numerous times late in the year about not getting value for entries into 50, so cleary there is something not working. Imagine how good we would be if we could convert these entries into scoring shots.

I am happy to back the current playing list and would only entertain trading players that want to move on and draft picks, but no mater where a side finishes there is always an opportunity to bring someone in to improve the side. I would prefer for us to recruit some one like Ben McKinley as i think he could do the job.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:We have the team NOW for a flag.

we don't need to tinker at the edges.

what we need is belief in our ability. I bet the guys who missed goals would kick them 95% of the time at training.
On that, I have another theory...

So we know Wayne Carey met with Roo and Kosi a few months back to talk about various things, including goal kicking?

Though I think it is more likely that it was the hand injury that impacted Kosi later in the season, is it at all possible that while the advice given improved Roo's kicking for goal, maybe it had the opposite affect on Kosi?

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Ackland St. Blues wrote:I didn't say that I can spell!
Hey chookfeeder, 13 in a row, so piss of.

I love this club
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

You can keep your alcoholic problem child with a gambling problem that you are paying $700K for the next 2 years for all I care, or p1ss him of to the filth they also have a history of keeping players that run amok and drink p1ss and flowering lie their ar$e off.

The Cheats V the Filthy flowering liars....

One does wonder why the murderer Hudson had Didak on his mobile speed dial, and for him to say it was a "chance" meeting is frog sh!t ....

Go flower yourself and good luck in off loading a total buffoon

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

St Fidelius wrote:

You can keep your alcoholic problem child with a gambling problem that you are paying $700K for the next 2 years for all I care, or p1ss him of to the filth they also have a history of keeping players that run amok and drink p1ss and flowering lie their ar$e off.

One does wonder why the murderer Hudson had Didak on his mobile speed dial, and for him to say it was a "chance" meeting is frog sh!t ....

Tell us what you really think St Fid.... :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

Tell us what you really think St Fid.... :lol:
lol...

Do you think I came across too strongly about being too honest :wink:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!