Peake To Be A Saint?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sax
Club Player

Peake To Be A Saint?

Found this on AFL.com

FREMANTLE is planning to speak with St Kilda, Geelong and Hawthorn about their potential interest in disgruntled pair Brett Peake and Marcus Drum but has no plans to find a new home for Chris Tarrant.

Though Freo has reiterated that Tarrant will see out the final year of his contract, speculation surrounding the 29-year-old's hopes of returning to his native Victoria has continued ahead of next week's exchange period.

Coach Mark Harvey said his club's trade week activities would focus on Peake and Drum's desire to head to a Victorian club.

"We've got a couple of other players there who are going to move on in Peake and Drum," he told afl.com.au. "We'll probably concentrate on those two guys and see what happens.

"It depends on the fallout of other clubs and what those clubs throw up from a playing aspect that we might be interested in."

Harvey said he was yet to speak in detail with the Saints, Cats or Hawks about possible deals but saw that bigger names such as Brendan Fevola and Shaun Burgoyne would dominate discussions early next week anyway.

"Peake is maybe heading towards St Kilda and Drum has been mentioned with Hawthorn and Geelong," he confirmed. "You never really know until the opening of trade week on Monday.

"There is a lot of talk going on at the moment [and] there are a lot of bigger deals to be done. Fevola has all of a sudden come to the fore as well as Burgoyne. They tend to take up a lot of time at trade week."

And Harvey severed any link between his club and Fevola, who has recently fallen out of favour at the Blues.

"[He's] not for us," he said. "We're more in a building mode.

"He's certainly a great player and I'm sure there will be a few clubs looking at him quite seriously or he'll finish up staying at Carlton."

Here's the link http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

hotdish
Club Player

From memory he has speed, and a booming long kick.

But not sure skills wise how he goes - he is often maligned by Freo supporters.

He is 26 years old - a big query there, and has played only 75 AFL games.

His 09 efficiency stats - http://superstats.heraldsun.com.au/profile/240701.html

I wouldn't touch him - maybe Drum...

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

It's very easy to dismiss Peake but he's been playing in a poorly coached side with no structure, little desire and little or no success.

Fact is he does have a long, penetrating kick and a ton of speed. Both are attributes we could use.

BUT not sure I've ever seen him lay a single tackle in his career.

Downhill skiier?

Reeks of it.

But Lyon's an astute judge. If he sees something workable, he'll do it.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
GrumpyOne

I'd take Peake..... speed to burn and will be cheap.

Worth a punt.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he should be compared with Ray and Schneider - both successful turnaround stories. Check out their last seasons at their old clubs:

Adam Schneider - 175cm, 78kg
2007: 21 games, 15.5 disp/game, 4.7 marks/game, 3.0 tackles/game, 27 goals 18 behinds

Farren Ray - 187cm, 84kg
2008: 13 games, 19.2 disp/game, 5.8 marks/game, 2.5 tackles/game, 4 goals 4 behinds

Brett Peake - 185cm, 86kg
2009: 18 games, 15.3 disp/game, 3.5 marks/game, 2.8 tackles/game, 14 goals 4 behinds

Peake's tackling looks poor, but so was Schneider's until this year - he lifted it from 3.0 tackles a game to 4.8. It also looks like he doesn't find enough of it to be a pure midfielder - but the same could have been said of Farren Ray. In Ray's career before St Kilda he averaged 15.1 disposals and 1.9 tackles a game. This season he had 22.2 disposals and 4.2 tackles. Huge turnaround.

So I'd back Lyon to get the best out of him if we take him. His age is a worry though. He's within a year in age of:

Koschitzke, S Fisher, Riewoldt, Montagna, X Clarke, Dempster, Jones, Dal Santo, L Fisher, Gram, Ball, Maguire

Straight in the middle of that big group which is the core of the side and will all start retiring in five years. Not a great pickup from that point of view.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

There's a stat I like already...

If we get him nix, no biggie. Just do it.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
older saint
SS Life Member

Noting more than a 3rd round pick for a bloke who could not get a game at Freo of all places.

Rice Paper
Club Player

Peake / Lovett are much more realistic trade options than Fevola.

If you look at Ross Lyon's trades in the past, it has all been low profile stuff. Ray has been the highest drafted player we have dealt with.

I would think the plan might be to recruit some depth for the mid-field then move Goddard as the 3rd tall, this solves most of our percieved problems. Pace in the mid-field could be solved with Peake, Lovett or Steven.

Red
Club Player

Peake is one of those players we don't have a lot of, midfieders that can

break the lines and kick goals. The reason he didn't get game time at Freo

has more to do with Freo player selection than his ability. David Mundy

was ordinary this year and still played every game, as did some of their

others.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

if joey and other mids kicked bloody goals we wouldnt need him
:(

Mr X from the West
Club Player

Noooooooooooooo way......

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:if joey and other mids kicked bloody goals we wouldnt need him
Yep this....I had a look, and everyone was way down on their 07 contribution except for Dal.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

dont get me wrong they are great players
(joey, lenny especially, grammy, etc)
we just need them to kick at LEAST one each per game at a minimum
its the only bit of their game they all arent good enough at (imo)

i mean its hard work doing what they do yet we just need a few more thru the big pointy sticks from them
joey and grammy on the run should be drilling em from 50

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:dont get me wrong they are great players
(joey, lenny especially, grammy, etc)
we just need them to kick at LEAST one each per game at a minimum
its the only bit of their game they all arent good enough at (imo)

i mean its hard work doing what they do yet we just need a few more thru the big pointy sticks from them
joey and grammy on the run should be drilling em from 50
Of course, they are amazing players. The point you brought up about a lack of goal spread from our midfielders is correct though. Joey and Grammy on the run....Gram kicked 20 in 08 and 12 in 09, Joey 12 in 08 and 8 in 09.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

well joeys isnt much diff
but even 12 wasnt enough that year

harsh i know
but he should be kicking one per game
something to work on in preseason 8-)

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:if joey and other mids kicked bloody goals we wouldnt need him
Have to agree with that.

I still think we have the cattle when you add xavier, geary, armo, steven, gwilt, goose who all can't get a game and will be pushing hard next year.

Milton66
SS Life Member

we need some foot speed IMO.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Hard to see who he'd displace. Would just be another competing for 2 or 3 spots along with Ray, Dempster, Raph, Geary, Armo, Xavier, Steven, Eddy etc.

I don't mind if we get him cheap but I don't think he'd make a whole lot of difference.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

4th rounder... nothing more but would take him for that or nothing

Hopefully we harden him up a bit soft as butter... fiora ilk... but we siad that about farren

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

just looking at those stats .. Peake's not a big ball winner.

As a goal kicker - we would have obviously preferred Motlop or Ebert (but they are not the ones being traded) who average closer to 2 goals/game.
Shaun Burgoyne is a much better player - but his price would have been much higher too.

Compared to Lovett who kicked 1 goal/game this year ..
luckily Peake kicked straight this year , but still only managed 0.7 goals/game, so he won't be kicking too many goals.

still if he comes cheap - why not for his pace and long kicking.

wasoncestkil58
Club Player

Coming from WA I have some friends who are Freo supporters and they just hate it when Peake has the ball. He is a pretty lousy user of the ball, but he does have pace and as someone else mentioned he is a downhill skier.

Batnoe

Even if it is just for depth

i cannot see him taking any of our 22 out at this stage but you never know what will happen

A Lovett or Peake with the speed will be great, but only as depth and hopefully make our 22 even better

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Its funny but to me it seems midfielders who kick goals are not popular with the St.Kilda Selectors. ie, Armo, Geary.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

No - i dont like it at all!!!

He really is a poor ball user and constant whipping boy to the Freo faithful!

I watched most of his games this year, and most were damn awful... he only had one game where he looked like a class player...

And its not like he's young like Ray with time to be changed... habits have been made and there is no correcting him.

How fast is Steven? why cant we play him??

If we had to trade in an outside mid, i would be targetting Pearce from Port or Lovett from the Dons...

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, but our structure dictates that our mids rotate through the bench. Rarely, if ever through the forward line.

There could be an arguement for rotating through the forward line a lot more but this would require Milne or Schnieder to miss!!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!