B&F shows club's contempt for fans

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

B&F shows club's contempt for fans

I was at the B&F on Saturday night and not once but twice the MC Craig Willis asked that fans not approach players for autographs and photos.

Of course, everyone ignored him but 20 minutes later he repeated the request. Obviously someone had complained.

I think this is a bit rich from the club which had charged fans hundreds of dollars on the promise that they get to rub shoulders with their heroes. Only catch is - don't go near them.

Very poor form from STKFC and it's not the first time this year it has burned its fans. Happy to take their money though.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
markp
Saintsational Legend

I would've thought it was an official formal function and not an open day... what is it with some people wanting to sniff player's jocks all the time?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

agreed
for one day a year peeps could respect some wishes
plenty of training days etc

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

For god's sake...

you cannot be serious...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

I see your point and actually agree with it.

Flip side though, is what do the fans actually get for their hundreds of dollars?
If they don't want to be bothered by fans that's fine. But why bother inviting them all?

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

I have a mate who attended Collingwood's B&F and the same rule was set down for during the proceedings however at the end of the night the players were made available to autographs and photos. That seems fair to me.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

They get a team that won pretty much everything and was all but a kick away from a premiership.

Admire the passion and all - but a little perspective?

Am I being harsh?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:They get a team that won pretty much everything and was all but a kick away from a premiership.

Admire the passion and all - but a little perspective?

Am I being harsh?
I guess each to their own. I would feel a bit awkward forning over a 25 yr old bloke who I've never before and discussing footy with him. To me it feels unnatural, unless I met him in a more comfortable way. I just enjoy watching them play.

I don't know how the players can bear listening to supporters tell them their opinions on footy. But I guess they get paid well, you gotta take the good with the bad.

To me if I attende the B&F I would see it as a more of a donation to the club than a chance to meet the players.

Sunday Red
Club Player

Moods wrote:To me if I attende the B&F I would see it as a more of a donation to the club than a chance to meet the players.
Not even that.

You go for a good meal, as much booze as you can drink and celebrate the season that was. While unfortunately I couldn't go, I would imagine that Maxy's speech and seeing Roo's record breaking award would be enough for some people!! But no.... apparently not!!

FWIW - when was it ever promised by the club that players would be available for your photo, autographs and chat requests throughout the night? People need to remember it's their club presentation dinner too.

If you want autographs and photos, there were 25 training sessions this year and a family day. Don't break their balls at the end of season dinner.

Just my two cents.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You mean they asked people not to take photos, a few times....and people still did? What am I missing here? :shock:

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

From an player perspective it is an official function and the would be be tired of having people run up to them all year and want pictures, hugs, autographs ect ect

I understand a bit being a professional athlete (ok wrestler but you get the idea) after a show I am mobbed by fans who want a piece of me. It is on a much smaller scale than AFL players (obviously) but it can get a little annoying.

Give the boys a chance to let their hair down without being bothered

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Sainter_4_life
Club Player

I agree with the OP.

Whilst I had a great night, it was a little souring. If they don't want the fans to hassle the players then don't sell tickets to the fans. Get that $250 a head somewhere else.

Kudos to most of the players tho, who were more then happy for a chat and a photo, not seeming to care about the "rules". There were a few players not so obliging though it must be said

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_4_life wrote:I agree with the OP.

Whilst I had a great night, it was a little souring. If they don't want the fans to hassle the players then don't sell tickets to the fans. Get that $250 a head somewhere else.

Kudos to most of the players tho, who were more then happy for a chat and a photo, not seeming to care about the "rules". There were a few players not so obliging though it must be said
Thats a bit of a silly thing to say IMHO.

Its like the Simpsons episode in which Homer befriends some movie stars and is taken to court after messing it up.

I belive his quote was "If they didnt want people taking photos of them, picking through their garbage or saying their gay they shouldnt have tried to express themselves artisticly"

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
philip
Club Player

apparently i am missing something here, because by the sounds of what i am reading i am in the minority, so hear is my two cents...

it is an official club function. it is not the players personal private time. it is repeat an official club function. they are not buying groceries at the supermarket or enjoying a holiday on the beach, this is still work time and at a work function.

as such, all players, coaches', staff and board members are publicly available as the work event is in public and funnily enough sold to the public.

if that was an official directive to Craig Willis, the club should be ashamed of themselves.

philip

Just looking forward to us having a real crack each week, and appreciating the younger talent coming through.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You have to be able to draw the line sometimes, it's not just a club function with fans present, it's actually a night (and probably a rare one) that they share together with their wives, girlfriends, family and loved ones.

I think about the many times they patiently work through the crowds at training and have photo's and sign autographs, and I think this thread is unfair representation of how accomodating they are with us the fans.

older saint
SS Life Member

I think it shows a lack of coordintaion and forethought by the club.

It is the players night to celebrate withthemselves, family and club volunteers and officials.

The club obviously invites members along as they can make some good coin (probably cover the players costs) and give supporters a warm and fuzzy feeling. However if you are ging to invite supporters to a function where players are going to be it is only logical that they will wish to engage the players in conversation, photos autographs etc. and niave to think otherwise.

Perhaps a pre dinner drink where playes available for mixing with public and then off limits so they can enjoy there night but the fans paying there hard earned also get their opportunity should they choose to take it.

There must be a balance or do not invite supporters ( not likely to happen) .

Richmond runs a cocktail night mid season for all gold members at crown. Gold members ( 20 years i think) get free invite and the players all freely mix withthe supporters. My wife has been several times and raves about it and how friendly some players are, she even got one to call me to settle a bet - good bloke too. This allows fans to mix, they have an auction which raises a fair bit and players generally she says are great.
Something like this would then stop someof these issues at the B& F.

GrumpyOne

Sainter_4_life wrote:I agree with the OP.

I agree too.

The club cannot have it both ways. If it is a private function, why sell tickets to the public?

Should be a set time and place at the function where players are available and mingle with supporters. Without supporters there is no club. If players are prepared to take the big money, they should respect the members' right for limited interaction. After all, its a club function, its not as if they are being approached in the street.

Club might as well tie us down and stick vacuum cleaner hoses in our wallets.... that's how much respect they have for us as members.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

This never would have happened in GT's day. :P

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Saintly_31
Club Player

Have been 2 the B&F for the last few years, & this was the 1st time that they actually said not to ask the players 4 autographs or photos!! I didnt
really pay much attention 2 it & still got a few photos but no way as
many as i have prevously.

Maguire's Squire #25

myspace: www.myspace.com/kirll
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Richmond runs a cocktail night mid season for all gold members at crown. Gold members ( 20 years i think) get free invite and the players all freely mix withthe supporters. My wife has been several times and raves about it and how friendly some players are, she even got one to call me to settle a bet - good bloke too. This allows fans to mix, they have an auction which raises a fair bit and players generally she says are great.
Only have to be a member 5 years (silver member I think) to get an invite..and yes Ive heard its a great night and the players just wander around and chat

I guess it depends on what you want out of the B&F..some are just happy to dress up, have a meal, catch up with other fans and enjoy the count. Others (the younger fans at a guess and perhaps a few more of the gals?) see it as an autograph and pic fest

Ah well....something to appraoch the Club with in the off-season and maybe smooth over and sort for next year eh?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
GrumpyOne

saint66au wrote:
Ah well....something to appraoch the Club with in the off-season and maybe smooth over and sort for next year eh?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best of luck with that one 66

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Club take notice of its' supporters

RAOFLMAO

HarveysDeciple

They sold out 2 functions.

If people don't want to pay the money because they can't swoon over the players then don't pay it, someone else definitely will.

Club function or not, it's their night, a celebration of their season.
It's easy not to bother them, so simply don't bother them.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

when we as a club are Rich enough to provide free drinks....... thne I guess more rewards can be dispatched the supporters way
First the club needs yto FUND the Football department to the best possible second the club needs to ensure it doesn't go into debt to hold functions-

this usually means that they need people/ supporters attending and paying for other things and / or sponsors willing to fork out to have their name attached

how to increase funds- memberships rise, merchandise sales rise, attendance at 'functions' - corporate events etc rises and you get non member funds into the club and by no means leaast- Sponsors get tehir names on things.Good work Jeld Wen-

one of the points Michael N made on Saturday night was that corpoarte functions at games has increased- don't remember the tally- BUt I was very pleased to see the club offering corporate packages to the Grand final- which has not been available to my knowledge before.

this in no way addresses the 'availability of players' but when one becomes more constant maybe the other aspect can be looked at.

I noted that Hawthorn must have had a time during their evening when the players where sat at tables for autgraphs etc..

other than that- JUST enjoy the atmosphere and Celebrate with the players their achievements...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
GrumpyOne

HarveysDeciple wrote:They sold out 2 functions.

If people don't want to pay the money because they can't swoon over the players then don't pay it, someone else definitely will.

Typical high-handed club position.

F*** the fans.... its all about the players.

Its a club night, not a player night.

If they want it players only, count the votes at the pub on Mad Monday :roll: .

HarveysDeciple

GrumpyOne wrote:
HarveysDeciple wrote:They sold out 2 functions.

Typical high-handed club position.

F*** the fans.... its all about the players.

Its a club night, not a player night.

If they want it players only, count the votes at the pub on Mad Monday :roll: .
There are numerous ways to meet the players.
I think one night of no photos is ok.