Club Statement- Luke B- :(- wants to go to pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:
Some kind of on trade with Carlton involving Cloke and Medhurst to bring Fev into play (at a stretch?)

That sounds a bit more like it, as unlikely as it will be.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:hotdish wrote:
Rusling/Wood + 2nd round pick.

Sh.t, I hope we can do better than that !
rather let him go to the pre-season draft than take that crap

matrix
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:
goods wrote:The reason is Luke and Ross dont get along. Its a combination of things but I know the captian of old Xavier...they are all mates... He was not happy about his game time in the GF though it goes deeper than that

hmmm
yeah something didnt add up huh
ross on radio saying he had no control over rotations on GF day
i found this strange as when the blokes been on fire for 40 mins and ya dont see him for another 20 ya asking where the f*** is he!! ("oh he's on the bench, hget him the hell on!!")

interesting
the coach works on the matchups not the rotations thats the assistant and fittness guys job .... ross would be following the game not who was on the bench or not
granted mate
but when ya having a friggin great game in a GF getting in and under
u wouldnt notice????
as coach
that he was missing??

blimey i would
after that first quarter and a half shesh I wondered where he was, just thought the coach might think the same

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:Thinline wrote:
Some kind of on trade with Carlton involving Cloke and Medhurst to bring Fev into play (at a stretch?)

That sounds a bit more like it, as unlikely as it will be.
Think about the money that just got freed up... We are now in a much better position than we were...and if Carlton are picking up a portion of the tab...

Who knows.

All I know is if you don't wanna play at St K, you've lost me.

So long 14.

Enjoy the nightlife with Did's, Swanny and Shaw. Great blokes they are. You'll have a blast.
Last edited by Thinline on Mon 05 Oct 2009 9:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saints11
Club Player

I'd like to do a tree way trade with west coast to get mckinley

hotdish
Club Player

Stephen Theodore wrote:hotdish wrote:
Rusling/Wood + 2nd round pick.

Sh.t, I hope we can do better than that !
Just being a realist here.

Their top 10 in this years BF:

Top 10 for the Copeland Trophy:

1. Dane Swan, 57 votes (EW Copeland Trophy)
2. Nick Maxwell, 48 votes (RT Rush Trophy)
3. Heath Shaw, 43 votes (JJ Joyce Trophy)
4. Heritier O’Brien, 43 votes (JF McHale Trophy)
5. Alan Didak, 41 votes (Jack Regan Trophy)
6. Scott Pendlebury, 41 votes
7. Tarkyn Lockyer, 39 votes - TOO OLD/SLOW
8. Leon Davis, 38 votes - TOO OLD
9. Simon Prestigiacomo, 37 votes - TOO OLD
10. Shane O’Bree, 36 votes - TOO OLD

I would love to have any of their top 6 traded to the saints, but it aint gonna happen. If they trade their first pick (#14) that leaves them little to trade to us.

We have little bargaining power. I think their 2nd round pick (30) and a player is do-able. Ideally a young kid.

On another ruckman - Saintjake - we do not have a stock of ruckman - we have 2 good rucks in King and Gardiner who are near the end of their career's and have a history of injury problems. Stanley would struggle at AFL level. I think having another ruck on our list (Wood) would be great.

Medhurst is turning 28 soon - too old for me - he wouldn't want to leave anyway, would have a high $$$ contract and is 179cm tall - isn't the solution to our 3rd (marking) forward problems - thus thats why I say go after Rusling...
Last edited by hotdish on Mon 05 Oct 2009 9:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Respect is hard to earn and so easy to lose.

We won't miss him much but i still expected better from Luke.

We move on and I for one don't care too much.

Cya Luke I hope you regret it when we lift the cup next year

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Just caught up with this. WOW. I like many others am completely speechless. I never thought he would go - anywhere.

But there is a reason. In this I have to trust RL. He has taken this team places and shows that there are tough decisions to be made, and the team comes first.

Right now all I want is to screw Collingwood and get the best of this deal. Bally struggled to get back to his best - or maybe we saw his best and it isn't quite good enough. You don't get dropped for the amount of time Luke does without reason. You don't drop someone like him at the expense of the team. So you have to believe there is more there.

If Ball is unhappy at the Saints - then go.

Now we need to screw Collingwood. I will be ok if we come out on top at the trade table.

Tough player who bled for the club. Now a different type of hardness is required to overcome his shortcomings to give the coach what he wants. Maybe he isn't up for it.

goods
Club Player

I just made a phone call. The only reason he want to go to collingwood is becasue he does not want to live in SA or QLD! He is staying in Melbourne

jimbob
Club Player

IS EVERYONE FORGETTING ITS UP TO SAINTS ON WHO THEY TRADE WITH, AND IF NO TRADE IS MADE HE WILL SIGN ON OR GO INTO PSD AND ANYONE COULD PICK HIM UP, WE WILL DO WELL OUT OF THIS!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I don't like how this has come about...what will the other players think?
How will this affect them?
This is bad.

xander
Club Player

jimbob wrote:IS EVERYONE FORGETTING ITS UP TO SAINTS ON WHO THEY TRADE WITH, AND IF NO TRADE IS MADE HE WILL SIGN ON OR GO INTO PSD AND ANYONE COULD PICK HIM UP, WE WILL DO WELL OUT OF THIS!
Exactly. If collingwood aren't willing to offer us a fair deal we'll deal with other clubs.

SuperSaint
Club Player

goods wrote:The reason is Luke and Ross dont get along. Its a combination of things but I know the captian of old Xavier...they are all mates... He was not happy about his game time in the GF though it goes deeper than that
Look, it is a two way street. It is crap that this is based essentially on a strained Lyon/Ball relationship. Luke has not progressed much since his schoolboy champion days and his 2004-05 seasons. Others have surpassed him in importance, as reflected by the B&F count and Bally simply was NOT worth anywhere near $600K a season. He should have copped the paycut and deservedly so on his performances since 2006. The club at least were prepared to give him a 3 year contract even with his ongoing groin problems and lack of penetration in his kicking. The bottom line is his lifestyle outside football could not cope well with such a reduction in his paypacket compared to what the club planned to pay him.
Football now, more than ever, is influenced predominantly by $$$ and
Luke's financial security is what this is all about not game time issues.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Que sera sera. Send him (with a pick if need be) to Essendon for Lovett. Who cares where HE wants to go. Good mate of Jobe's and we get the pace and goalkicking mid we need. If he walks he ain't gonna make it to a top 8 team, so let him play out his career in the bottom half of the 8. Sorry, but HE chose to leave. Or swing a 3-way trade with Collingwood and Port that gets us Burgoyne. Either way, make it happen or let him suffer.

If we don't get anything in return at least it frees up cap space. Don't trade for the sake of trading. He walked out on us, the loyalty is gone. End of story. I loved the guy in Saints jumper, and will again when he retires, but unitl then I hope his footy career goes down the gurgler and we go on to win multiple flags. Would have nobody but himself to blame. End of rant.

Johnny Utah
Club Player

xander wrote:Exactly. If collingwood aren't willing to offer us a fair deal we'll deal with other clubs.
Ball isn't interested in going interstate or to Essendon.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:Exactly. If collingwood aren't willing to offer us a fair deal we'll deal with other clubs.
Ball's out of contract this means he has to sign off on any trade, so that makes it a bit more of a problem. Personally I'd rather see him goto the PSD than get screwed over by Collingwood.

If he was in contract we could send him anywhere we liked but he's not.
Last edited by ausfatcat on Mon 05 Oct 2009 9:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

If Ball is not in our best 22 then he would be in Collingwood's.

Sorry to see him go but you need to want to be at the Saints and he doesn't. Will always respect him for his courage and his contribution.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

3 Collingwood players I rate.....

Pendlebury
Beams
Sidebottom...

Possible?

“Yeah….nah””
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

matrixcutter wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:

hmmm
yeah something didnt add up huh
ross on radio saying he had no control over rotations on GF day
i found this strange as when the blokes been on fire for 40 mins and ya dont see him for another 20 ya asking where the f*** is he!! ("oh he's on the bench, hget him the hell on!!")

interesting
the coach works on the matchups not the rotations thats the assistant and fittness guys job .... ross would be following the game not who was on the bench or not
granted mate
but when ya having a friggin great game in a GF getting in and under
u wouldnt notice????
as coach
that he was missing??

blimey i would
after that first quarter and a half shesh I wondered where he was, just thought the coach might think the same
It could have been that the fitness staff actually recommended on the day that he couldn't play more than what time he was already being allocated and then in the post-match review the fitness staff said they may have miscalculated that recommendation!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

ill be more upset if no deal can be done and he plays in our colours next year..his opened a can of worms...dont want to stick around, then i dont want you anyway...

gezz i feel like his done the dirty on me!

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
saintjake
Club Player

wouldn't mind trading him for a backman, to release GOD'S foward.
or getting involved in a 3 way trade, to poach FEV!
dont want to get B-goyne, i question, if he doesnt go to the hawks, if he will play his best.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: It could have been that the fitness staff actually recommended on the day that he couldn't play more than what time he was already being allocated and then in the post-match review the fitness staff said they may have miscalculated that recommendation!
Correct - have that first hand from the box.

xander
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:
Ball's out of contract this means he has to sign off on any trade, so that makes it a bit more of a problem. Personally I'd rather see him goto the PSD than get screwed over by Collingwood.

If he was in contract we could send him anywhere we liked but he's not.
Well if he doesn't want to sign off we might as well threaten to throw him into the PSD. He's smart enough to realise it's unlikely he'll last past 12 clubs and he might not even get to stay in vic like he wanted.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Ausfatcat wrote:
Personally I'd rather see him goto the PSD than get screwed over by Collingwood.

I agree, and I dont really see a straight out swap with the Scum, so maybe a three way deal will end up as the only solution.

SuperSaint
Club Player

goods wrote:I just made a phone call. The only reason he want to go to collingwood is becasue he does not want to live in SA or QLD! He is staying in Melbourne
You seem to know a lot........the club will work out what's best for ST.KILDA. If it works out for him to go interstate and he refuses or plays hard ball, there is the pre-season draft as a last resort and all the interstate clubs finished below Collingwood, so he hasn't got a lot of bargaining power in the scheme of things, thanks to where his "club of choice" finished.