Saints officially in the hunt for Lovett, offer 3 yr deal!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bob__71
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
saint66au wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
OLB wrote:
His work-rate is the only question mark.
It's a massive, massive question mark though.
Another bloke to handcuff to Lenny during the off-season then.

The postives far outweight the negatives with this bloke I reckon. If any group can instill a better work rate into him, its ours. Just need the steely stare and ultimatum from BJ ("You come to us with a reputation for being a soft****..its up to you to prove it wrong") that Farren Ray copped at his first training session
Someone with his dash and line breaking running would be great - but under Lyon he'll no doubt spend 18 weeks in the 2s until he learns to play football like a potato and reduce his impact to less than 10 posessions each week.

Comedy and sarcasm aside, why would Lyon be interested in a guy as piiss weak as Lovett? He displays every single characteristic that Lyon tries to coach out of everyone.
If saintsational was a pub I dont think we would have to listen to RF for too long.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Captain Impossible wrote:Finally, a FAST midfielder. Make it happen Saints.
we do need a fast midfielder, my only question is his age!

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Anther problem about lovett is he tends to go missing a season at a time

First year a good debut

missing in the second year

very average third

average fourth year

brilliant fifth year

hotdish
Club Player

I think Lovett is OVER-RATED!

He is turning 27 soon. He has a history of being trouble off the field (with the law, not getting on with his coaches, lacking dedication etc.)

Started to be more consistent this year (played 22/23 games) but who wouldn't in a contract year?

21 goals in 22 games - nothing special.

http://superstats.heraldsun.com.au/profile/240720.html
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/play ... ovett.html

Contested possies - 118, uncontested - 338. 25% of possessions are contested

Disposal efficiency - 73%.

Compare this with similar players (mid/fwd) Leon Davis (71%), Didak (74%)...others to compare - Dal (74%), Pendlebury (80%), Judd (71%) , Ablett Jnr (76%)

FYI - Stats from the Heraldsun's superstats player links.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:Not so keen on Maguire leaving. With Hudghton retiring I would have thought Maguire had become a required player. We don't have any matured big bodied backmen in reserve.
true. but i rate this simpkin kid big time. hell be 20 next year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:I think Lovett is OVER-RATED!

He is turning 27 soon. He has a history of being trouble off the field (with the law, not getting on with his coaches, lacking dedication etc.)

Started to be more consistent this year (played 22/23 games) but who wouldn't in a contract year?

21 goals in 22 games - nothing special.

http://superstats.heraldsun.com.au/profile/240720.html
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/play ... ovett.html

Contested possies - 118, uncontested - 338. 25% of possessions are contested

Compare this with similar players (mid/fwd) Leon Davis (71%), Didak (74%)...others to compare - Dal (74%), Pendlebury (80%), Judd (71%) , Ablett Jnr (76%)

FYI - Stats from the Heraldsun's superstats player links.
in one breath you say hes no good . in the next you compare him to davis ablett dal and judd....

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Lovett addresses one of our needs - a quick line breaking midfielder who can also contribute a goal a match.

He will be very handy.

I hope we can snare him - sounds like he might be easier to get than Burgoyne.

We just need to fill one more need - a clever, quick thinking medium sized half forward flanker who averages 2 goals a match -someone like a Motlop type to provide the right balance to complete our forward line - which only plays tall and short at the moment.

We have bass (tall) and treble(short) - we do need a good mid range to provide a beautiful and harmonious hi fi forward line.

avid
Club Player

I'd love to have Lovett -- I can already see him flying towards goal in a saints jumper.
But he'd have to commit to the Lyon/St Kilda program -- new discipline, team oriented role, etc. We'd need to establish that in the interview process with him, which means we on the outside just have to trust those on the inside. If he's not going to come good character-wise, I'm confident our club wouldn't take him.

But Please Please Please -- give Goose another go!!!
I can hardly bear the thought of losing him. Give him a chance -- I feel sure he's got great, heroic footy left in him for us . (If he fails, then at least we'll know it was never in the stars.)

Milton66
SS Life Member

samoht wrote:Lovett addresses one of our needs - a quick line breaking midfielder who can also contribute a goal a match.

He will be very handy.

I hope we can snare him - sounds like he might be easier to get than Burgoyne.

We just need to fill one more need - a clever, quick thinking medium sized half forward flanker who averages 2 goals a match -someone like a Motlop type to provide the right balance to complete our forward line - which only plays tall and short at the moment.

We have bass (tall) and treble(short) - we do need a good mid range to provide a beautiful and harmonious hi fi forward line.
What a graphically equalising way to look at it. :lol:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

avid wrote:I'd love to have Lovett -- I can already see him flying towards goal in a saints jumper.
But he'd have to commit to the Lyon/St Kilda program -- new discipline, team oriented role, etc. We'd need to establish that in the interview process with him, which means we on the outside just have to trust those on the inside. If he's not going to come good character-wise, I'm confident our club wouldn't take him.

I can hardly bear the thought of losing him. Give him a chance -- I feel sure he's got great, heroic footy left in him for us . (If he fails, then at least we'll know it was never in the stars.)
I understand your sentiments re: Goose (I've got #31 on my Saints jumper!) but there is a school of thought that Goose may have some trade value this year but probably won't next year (after clubs see how injury has robbed him).

If we can work him into a deal to get Lovett or another midfielder (Josh Kennedy from Hawthorn?) then I'm sure Ross will look very closely at it.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:We have bass (tall) and treble(short) - we do need a good mid range to provide a beautiful and harmonious hi fi forward line.
"Sounds" good to me.

PJ
SS Life Member

Could someone summarise what would the difference be between getting lovett and getting Burgoyne?? I think Burgoyne is a little more in and under than Lovett but they appear to have similar skills. Or is it a personality thing?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
avid
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:
avid wrote:I'd love to have Lovett -- I can already see him flying towards goal in a saints jumper.

I understand your sentiments re: Goose (I've got #31 on my Saints jumper!) but there is a school of thought that Goose may have some trade value this year but probably won't next year (after clubs see how injury has robbed him).
Yes, that's the educated school of thought.
I'm in the hope against hope school.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Could someone summarise what would the difference be between getting lovett and getting Burgoyne?? I think Burgoyne is a little more in and under than Lovett but they appear to have similar skills. Or is it a personality thing?
The thing that worries me with Burgoyne is that, for some reason, I have this impression that he hasn't got the pace he once had. He hasn't been fully fit for the last two seasons.

At his best in 2004/05 he could really get his skates on. Effortless, easy pace too.

Both Burgoyne and Lovett at their best? Burgoyne by a street.

With Lovett there are doubts about his mentality, but with Burgoyne, providing he hasn't lost his pace of course, there are none.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

its his knee i think OLB
thats the reason for pace a bit slower

:?:

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Lovett will be cheaper than Burgoyne and could be just as good.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Lovett will be cheaper than Burgoyne and could be just as good.
I agree. It's all about his headspace. ST K are a pretty rigid outfit now. None of this namby pamby Knightsian 'Just go out there and run fast' stuff. He'll be required to work both ways and he'll be required to be a shitload fitter than he's ever been.

Do that, and he'll be a good score.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
PJ
SS Life Member

The similarities are fairly obvious it just seems to be that behaviour is high up there

Burgoyne - Touted as club captain, leadership group, model citizen

Lovett - Bad boy, violent outbursts, always in the media for wrong reasons

I agree it will come down to where their heads are at. I think Lovett could do the job over the next 3 years but I'd hate to lose Ball and pick 16 for 3 seasons of footy. I think we'd lose on that one.

Milton66
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:The similarities are fairly obvious it just seems to be that behaviour is high up there

Burgoyne - Touted as club captain, leadership group, model citizen

Lovett - Bad boy, violent outbursts, always in the media for wrong reasons

I agree it will come down to where their heads are at. I think Lovett could do the job over the next 3 years but I'd hate to lose Ball and pick 16 for 3 seasons of footy. I think we'd lose on that one.
Given that our best shot at a flag is the next 2 or 3 years... I'll take it.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
PJ
SS Life Member

Roll the dice then and may the best team win.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Lovett will be cheaper than Burgoyne and could be just as good.
Bloody good point. He's the link man we need!

Another opportunity awaits!
avid
Club Player

avid wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:

I understand your sentiments re: Goose (I've got #31 on my Saints jumper!) but there is a school of thought that Goose may have some
trade value this year but probably won't next year (after clubs see how injury has robbed him).
Yes, that's the educated school of thought.
I'm in the hope against hope school.
Today's Lovett news -- So far it's all going according to hope!

hotdish
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
hotdish wrote:

in one breath you say hes no good . in the next you compare him to davis ablett dal and judd....
I was comparing kicking efficiency you tool - There was some claims that his disposal was elite. I compared it with similar position players and some other full time midfielders (who don't play the same position as Lovett)