Luke Ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Moods wrote: Off loading a senior player just to give a young bloke more chances, especially when that senior player is only 25 yrs old, is ridiculous.
Not when the younger guy has shown he can have a similar impact than the one who's 25, (but whos body is probably more like that of someone who's 33). Bally was playing 50% of games this year and the game is getting quicker every year, which does not auger well for him. Unless things turn around drastically for him, it's hard to see him playing more than a couple more years of top-quality AFL, with his body in the sort of condition it is.
I'm not saying we should offload him, but still no-one has said what to do with Armo, if we don't. Does anyone see them both getting a game in the same team? (As long as Lenny is also in there) And if not, who goes, because leaving either of them playing in the two's is a "waste", when we could get something for one of them next week. Leave it one more year and we'd probably get next to nothing. (And the Gold Coast would almost certainly sign Armo up as an "uncontracted player", for which we'd get bugger-all in return.) St Kilda is also a business, does this sound like good business, or are we an amateur organisation, basing our decisions purely on emotion?
So do we keep the guy who may have 2 more years of good footy (played mostly when it's wet, which is rare), or the guy who may have 8-10?
Geez there are a ton of assumptions in your post. maybe you know a hell of a lot about Luke ball than I do. For instance, how do you know his body is shot? Where do you get this from? I know he hasn't been the same player as he was 4 years ago. I'm not sure the reason for this, other than he has a history with OP. Chris Judd appears to have found his pace again, so once again, I'm not sure what the problem with Luke is. Are you guessing or do you know something?

I have not advocated for 1 second that we shouldn't trade Bally - if the price is right However I certainly disagree with trading a bloke just to give a younger player more of a go.

Armo hasn't shown me anything to suggest that he would be any better than the 'older' Luke Ball model. I agree with you about the saints being a business, and that 'some' emotion needs to be taken out of decisions. I disagree that 'all' emotions should be taken out of the equation though. It's the emotion of the game that makes it work, and what makes us love the club. We need to be very careful that we don't ruin the fabric of the group. AS I said, Luke ball is certainly tradeable, but not on the basis that a younger player gets a leg up, that's all.

PJ
SS Life Member

I think Bally's silence pretty much says he's thinking about the other offers - yes he's close to the players but I reckon he's a little disgruntled by the stint in the 2's. I wouldn't blame him for thinking about his future as the next contract will push him towards his last. interesting days.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Maguire#31
Club Player

Doesn't ring so true now does it...

Justin Koschitzke --> The Next Matty Maguire!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Utah wrote:Will struggle to get more than a 2nd Rounder for him, given his groin issues.
When will this troll get banned?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Surely we can exchange a BALL for a DICK or at least a GOLDSACK. not sure about SIDEBOTTOM though.

Just making humour not very well.

We just lost a former captain. Very disappointed. Maybe Misson has had his say. He can't kick 50 metres. You can teach a player to tackle but if they can't kick, they can't kick.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke Ball

TheSaint wrote:'FORTIUS QUO FIDELIUS'

He isnt going anywhere.
No, you're thinking of the spirit and legacy Robert Harvey left. Ball does not embody this.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
kalsaint
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Johnny Utah wrote:Will struggle to get more than a 2nd Rounder for him, given his groin issues.
When will this troll get banned?
Be honest, why would other clubs place more vlaue than a second round pick for Luke?

To the outsiders Luke presents as an honest player in and under that hasnt really blown apart games like other top notvh draft picks.

Having said that, I love the guys go get it attitude but he is now slower and less quality in passing than he has been since his early career injuries.

No longer equivalent to a round one pick IMO.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'm gutted about Balls decision! It really doesn't make any sense to me. I think this is a serious case for Luke to consider this phrase: "don't get bitter, get better!". Clearly the Saints have some serious depth and there is major competition to grab a spot in the side. That's a good thing! It can only make you a better player in the end!

Clearly, Ross Lyon has created a superb environment for us to win a Premiership! If everyone on the list is fighting for a place and creating the pressure for improvement, we're on the right track! Too bad after one ordinary season out of 8 (???) Ball should have the stomach to stick it out and try to improve himself! There is no easy rides at St Kilda! Sad to see such a talented player pull up stumps at the first hurdle!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Banger2Plugger
Club Player

I too am gutted by Luke Ball's decision.
Surely a 3 year deal on the table since June - is a sign that a club requires your services, and believe you to be an integral part of the team.
Another good preseason, and I think he can only improve further.
To leave a club on the cusp of a premiership, for less money, and possibly even less security for his position isnt't worth it.
I hope it doesn't bite us on the bum like Russell Greene, who he just happens to be related to.

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Banger2Plugger wrote:I too am gutted by Luke Ball's decision.
Surely a 3 year deal on the table since June - is a sign that a club requires your services, and believe you to be an integral part of the team.
Another good preseason, and I think he can only improve further.
To leave a club on the cusp of a premiership, for less money, and possibly even less security for his position isnt't worth it.
I hope it doesn't bite us on the bum like Russell Greene, who he just happens to be related to.
Russell Greene didn't walk out on St Kilda and he had a good career with Hawthorn :?

Qld Saints Supporter Group