Thank you Luke Ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:So nIck and MCGunit, I take it that you both agree that Ross indulges in a "list" of players that he likes to leave languishing in the VFL with no real hope of getting back into the team?
No I didn't say Lyon has a 'list' of anything, nor did the original poster...
I'm a fan of Lyon

I'm just very disappointed Ball feels he has to leave for better opportunity - I don't know that it's all money related :shock:

I think he left nothing in the rooms when he ran out for the Saints, so I'm not ready to slam him

Hold your ground :shock:
Milton66
SS Life Member

Lennon wrote:
barks4eva wrote:Yes thankyou Luke Ball for chasing less dollars in your desire to leave St kilda and play for the filth and their feral army of toothless, blow up doll worshippers!

Yeah thanks a lot Luke!
So. Obviously the problem is he's unhappy at St Kilda - for whatever reason. If you're unhappy in your workplace, you would think it perfectly acceptable to leave.

And don't give me the old "football is different" bulltish. Players are expected to be loyal to their club, but it's no two-way street, is it?

"The club is always bigger than the individual". No player is ever shown loyalty by their club if it doesn't suit the club to do so.

Ask poor ol Goose Maguire, promised by the head coach he'd play his hundredth game this year. That game looks like it will have to come at Essendon.

Ask Max.
Andrew doesn't have a workplace, so no point asking him that quaetion. :lol:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
SainterK wrote:So nIck and MCGunit, I take it that you both agree that Ross indulges in a "list" of players that he likes to leave languishing in the VFL with no real hope of getting back into the team?
No I didn't say Lyon has a 'list' of anything, nor did the original poster...
I'm a fan of Lyon

I'm just very disappointed Ball feels he has to leave for better opportunity - I don't know that it's all money related :shock:

I think he left nothing in the rooms when he ran out for the Saints, so I'm not ready to slam him
The OP actually said...

Once you are on the shitelist, its very hard to get off it

I am not critical of your support of Luke, not at all...I was just asking that if by +1 you were agreeing with the above

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

.. Well there you go I hadn't noticed that part. I just went back to my first reply and edited Duck's quote to remove the offending line :shock:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:.. Well there you go I hadn't noticed that part. I just went back to my first reply and edited Duck's quote to remove the offending line :shock:
Lesson to all, careful when you + 1 :wink:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:.. Well there you go I hadn't noticed that part. I just went back to my first reply and edited Duck's quote to remove the offending line :shock:
+1.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
+2 :shock:

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
All this sickly sentiment is so misplaced.

I think your interpretation of the sentiment is what is misplaced.

I can understand the prediciment Ball has found himself in, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm against him leaving.

What I take exception to the the vitriolic statements made against a bloke who has been a role model and leader of our club for many years.

He hasn't betrayed the club, and the club hasn't betrayed him.

I think Luke has done the club a favour by making a call now, knowing that he couldn't be happy in a diminished role.

And I think the club/Ross has done Luke a favour by telling him straight up that he would be looking at more of the same bench/VFL in 2010.

I think all in all, the unpleasant situation has thus far been handled maturely. (all bar the hysterics from a few turncoats.)

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
Moccha wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
I've been on here a lot longer than you and have the respect of the forum.
Really!

Where was the poll?
I'm running a poll to bring back your old avatar, Moccha.

It makes your posts much more readable :wink:
Just click on the www below and you'll find she's still there.

Another opportunity awaits!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Thank you Bally - But please dont go!!!!!

Wigsy
Club Player

Well, I for one hope that a deal isn't satisfactory and that he decides to stay rather than going into the PSD. Wishful thinking? Maybe. I'm still confused by most of this. I watched him very closely in recent years as one of my favourite players and particularly this year as a member of my DT - yep, wanted to trade him early on, but could never get to it through other injuries.

One of our better players this year? Not close. Outside of our best 22. Not close. If anything, I think his movement was getting better. Yes, penetration in his kicking is not up to scratch, but that's hardly new in any team and across many, many very good players in the comp. On his running, I'm quite sure he'd run Lenny down, and Lenny is a superstar. In close work and class around the ball is still top notch and I'm still more than happy with his kicking over shorter distances. First class character and on the ground leadership. Why he was still getting such little ground time is yet to be explained. We will await his output next year at another club and we will see that, as a normal player, not a pick 2, he is still very capable and this will bite us on the ass. Contested ball will be interesting next year - it's funny that this was raised as a concern on GF eve and then Ball stood up. No point recruiting pace if we're heavily reliant on Lenny to dish it out. Hopefully we'll still get what is deserved for a very very good pick up for a potential flag rival.

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
PJ
SS Life Member

Have always had the feeling that Luke was never happy at the saints post GT. Nothing concrete to hang my hat on just an observation of his demeanour.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Wigsy wrote:Well, I for one hope that a deal isn't satisfactory and that he decides to stay rather than going into the PSD. Wishful thinking? Maybe. I'm still confused by most of this. I watched him very closely in recent years as one of my favourite players and particularly this year as a member of my DT - yep, wanted to trade him early on, but could never get to it through other injuries.

One of our better players this year? Not close. Outside of our best 22. Not close. If anything, I think his movement was getting better. Yes, penetration in his kicking is not up to scratch, but that's hardly new in any team and across many, many very good players in the comp. On his running, I'm quite sure he'd run Lenny down, and Lenny is a superstar. In close work and class around the ball is still top notch and I'm still more than happy with his kicking over shorter distances. First class character and on the ground leadership. Why he was still getting such little ground time is yet to be explained. We will await his output next year at another club and we will see that, as a normal player, not a pick 2, he is still very capable and this will bite us on the ass. Contested ball will be interesting next year - it's funny that this was raised as a concern on GF eve and then Ball stood up. No point recruiting pace if we're heavily reliant on Lenny to dish it out. Hopefully we'll still get what is deserved for a very very good pick up for a potential flag rival.
Agree with everything here!

A friend of mine will be having a quiet word to Lukes brother. Clearly the internet cowboys on here bagging him out and calling him a Judas know everything :roll: He's been a loyal soldier for the Saints and I refuse to bag the man without knowing all the facts!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
The Doc
Club Player

duckduckduckgoose wrote:
Thinline wrote:
All this sickly sentiment is so misplaced.

I think your interpretation of the sentiment is what is misplaced.

I can understand the prediciment Ball has found himself in, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm against him leaving.

What I take exception to the the vitriolic statements made against a bloke who has been a role model and leader of our club for many years.

He hasn't betrayed the club, and the club hasn't betrayed him.

I think Luke has done the club a favour by making a call now, knowing that he couldn't be happy in a diminished role.

And I think the club/Ross has done Luke a favour by telling him straight up that he would be looking at more of the same bench/VFL in 2010.

I think all in all, the unpleasant situation has thus far been handled maturely. (all bar the hysterics from a few turncoats.)
I would've just liked to see him announce it before trade week so that the club could've had the Monday to deal with other parties as well. As it turns out, we lost a day of negotiations (unless I'm getting my time zones mixed up?). I hope that doesn't hurt us in the end.

Thanks for your efforts Luke. Sad to see you go, but it's understandable. I hope we flog whoever you end up playing for next year!

2010 has a nice ring to it.
Wigsy
Club Player

In addition to what I've said above, and in addition to the above posters, I don't blame Ball for wanting out. Who knows the actual conversations with Ball and Lyon. I certainly don't. I suspect that Ross has suggested that he's no certainty to play - which I probably don't understand. Maybe I'm biased. Surely, Bally is in our best 18-ish. Not just 22. And we are talking a very very good midfield too.

Anyway, hopefully whatever we get back fills a hole. We might already have that hole in terms of pace, but the target for another tall that will release Goose is where we are aiming. Everitt?

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)