Thomas should have listened to Butterss

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

vacuous space
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote:Choose to believe me or not...
I'd have to go with 'not'.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ace
Saintsational Legend

How many years would Judd have stayed before Visy offerred him over a million a year to go to Carlton.

West Coast outsmarted St Kilda.
They put it about that they were interested in Ball but would not take Judd due to shoulder issues.
Hawthorn was known to be taking Hodge at 1 because he came ready to play AFL.
Ablett was not available because Geelong had him under father-son for a third round pick.
Fremantle were known to be only interested in a key position player at 4.
By taking Ball at 2 St Kilda thought they could get Judd at 5.
West Coast pounced at 3.

If we had got Ball and Judd we would only have won premierships until the salary cap blew off.

When Judd played for Butterss, Judd's nickname was "magic".

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
mordi
Club Player

whilst we are in "what-if" land......imagine if Butterss had been President of the WC Eagles.....

that would have been some party.........

:shock:

What's the Point of it All?
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Milton66 wrote:
Saints43 wrote:You finished your repeti-tirades about GT wanting to trade Milne? Any reason?
... because GT was right!
Don't agree. Nominated for All Australian this year and has still saved our skin on several occasions since Lyon threw him a life line.

Yes, I'm aware of his lack of output during our finals campaign and while his misses in the GF cost us plenty, he didn't cost us the game as Mini and Schneider also shot themselves in the foot.

If he goes, I wont be gutted, but if he stays, I'm sure he will feel he has unfinished business.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
Milton66
SS Life Member

SydneySainter wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Saints43 wrote:You finished your repeti-tirades about GT wanting to trade Milne? Any reason?
Don't agree. Nominated for All Australian this year and has still saved our skin on several occasions since Lyon threw him a life line.

Yes, I'm aware of his lack of output during our finals campaign and while his misses in the GF cost us plenty, he didn't cost us the game as Mini and Schneider also shot themselves in the foot.

If he goes, I wont be gutted, but if he stays, I'm sure he will feel he has unfinished business.
My view on Milne is that does not perform against better sides. Yes he has improved, and no I'm not blaming him for the GF loss.

He's 30 and won't improve much if any.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Milton66 wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:
Milton66 wrote:

My view on Milne is that does not perform against better sides. Yes he has improved, and no I'm not blaming him for the GF loss.

At his age, maybe we have seen the best Milne will do. Which is why I wouldn't be doing a hand stand if we got Davis through the Ball trade, as he is under the same suspect cloud. Wouldn't happen anyway, as I believe he wants to go back to WA.

Either way, will be interesting to see if he fits into the 2010 team plan!

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:
Milton66 wrote:

At his age, maybe we have seen the best Milne will do. Which is why I wouldn't be doing a hand stand if we got Davis through the Ball trade, as he is under the same suspect cloud. Wouldn't happen anyway, as I believe he wants to go back to WA.

Either way, will be interesting to see if he fits into the 2010 team plan!
Just a random thought, Milne for Akermanis?? Just thinking aloud, any opinions?

Milton66
SS Life Member

With a comment like that... are you inviting opinions or ridiculing comments? :lol: :wink:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:How many years would Judd have stayed before Visy offerred him over a million a year to go to Carlton.

They put it about that they were interested in Ball but would not take Judd due to shoulder issues.
Ablett was not available because Geelong had him under father-son for a third round pick.
West Coast pounced at 3.

If we had got Ball and Judd we would only have won premierships until the salary cap blew off.

You and I must have been at the same 'Thommo Club Night' when John Beveridge publicly told us his version of the Ball/Judd deal.

What you left out was that we didn't rate either over the other and wanted both.
WCE stated that they would not take Judd at #3 because of his shoulders and let it be known that they would take Ball at #3.
We 'knew' that Freo wouldn't take either (if still available) at #4 so we were confident that by taking Ball at #3 we would also get Judd at #5.

According to Beveridge, the WCE official when calling out Judd's number and name at pick #3, looked directly at the Saints and smiled.

I have never had anu reason to dispute Beveridge's version, so it would seem that neither GT nor RB is to blame for us not getting Judd.
Last edited by Mr Magic on Tue 06 Oct 2009 6:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
barks4eva wrote:Choose to believe me or not...
+1

Thread of crap!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
HarveysDeciple

Did Rod Butterss tell GT that Ball would be a star for 4 years, win a B and F, be runner up in another, captain the club into the finals then tear his groin badly, play through pain and develop a debilitating condition?

If he said that then yes he should have listened, but I doubt he did, do you?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
ace wrote:How many years would Judd have stayed before Visy offerred him over a million a year to go to Carlton.

West Coast pounced at 3.

You and I must have been at the same 'Thommo Club Night' when John Beveridge publicly told us his version of the Ball/Judd deal.

What you left out was that we didn't rate either over teh other and wnated both.
WCE stated that they would not take Judd at #3 because of his shoulders and let it be known that they would take Ball at #3.
We 'knew' that Freo wouldn't take either (if still available) at #4 so we were confident that by taking Ball at #3 we would also get Judd at #5.

According to Beveridge, the WCE official when calling out Judd's number and name at pick #4, looked directly at the Saints and smiled.

I have never had anu reason to dispute Beveridge's version, so it would seem that neither GT nor RB is to blame for us not getting Judd.
Pretty close account. Except Judd was pick 3 not 4. Fremantle took Polak with pick 4, didn't they? We then took X for pick 5.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thomas should have listened to Butterss

barks4eva wrote:Butterss wanted to draft Judd, but it was Thomas's decision to make and he instead chose to use this selection on Ball!

I'm still trying to figure out whether this decision by Thomas has cost us one, two or three premierships so far.

Admittedly Ball was crucified by Thomas who played him into the ground when his body was not right, which resulted in longer term ramifications, and ultimately rendered Ball a distant third behind Hodge and Judd in any pecking order, but Butterss was imploring we use the selection on Judd from the get go.

IMHO the St kilda football club should employ Thomas in an advisory role on recruiting, trading and drafting and when his considered judgement is offered, then do the exact opposite.

Rubbish Butterss all you want, but he wanted St kilda to draft Judd, NOT Ball, in the end this one decision has cost us so much.

So now Ball wants to play for the filth and Judd is now captain of the scum and we still do not have a premiership.

It could have been oh so different!

Yeah thanks Grant

:roll:
This post belongs on the Music Trivia thread.

And the answer is

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

but Judd would have gone to carlton for $$$ and a job at Visy as an evironmental consultant or some such wank at $1m per year and demetriou would be saying but its not salary cap abuse and there is no such thing as tanking...

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Ball Op when he was drafted.

Played one game in his first year.

Seemed to have overcome OP and then when it flaired up again Thomas ran him into the ground (like he crippled Kosi with his crook back)

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
St.Rob8
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:
Choose to believe me or not...
vacuous space wrote
In that case I'll go with NOT too. :)

asiu

Re: Thomas should have listened to Butterss

barks4eva wrote: thanks Grant

too easy

super dooper
Club Player

OLB wrote:In hindsight Butterss was right but, lets be honest, the sun even shines on a dog's ass sometimes.
Hilarious, never heard that saying before but i love it

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Maybe we should have drafted all of the kids in Rod Butterss Under 14 side. Im sure that would have been a sound recruiting policy.
Another reason we went for Ball was that we wanted the best in and under player to cover for the impending retirements of Burke and Thompson. Also one the reasons BAll didn't play much in his first season was that he was doing Year 12 and the club allowed him to concentrate on that.
Is it just me or does Barks have something against GT?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote: Is it just me or does Barks have something against GT?
Why do you ask questions that have obvious answers ? :roll: :roll: :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!