No deal with Magpies over Ball, says Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

35...LEGEND
Club Player

saint1974 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:do the pies have a 'decent player'..?
Only 1 imo..........................TARKYN.....go hard Boss 8-)
Harry O'Brien ?

not a bad deal that one....i'd go for it if available.

play on talls or smalls,run,kick the odd goal.....yes i'd take that

ace
Saintsational Legend

super dooper wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:Maybe he will stay now?
After Lyon's speech at the post GF function, i dont think he will be too welcome back in the door at Moorabbin...

If he stayed, he would be right at the back of the pack and once again earn the respect of everyone at the club. Everyone else is committed to the cause, what makes him so special??
If he doesn't get to Collingwood, Ball would have to choose between the pre-season draft sending him to non contenders Melbourne, Richmond or Fremantle OR returning to St Kilda with his tail between his legs and an even more reduced contract.

I would love to be fly on the wall when after an hour of silently glaring at him Goddard speaks his first words to Ball.
They will be well chosen.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Judging by O'Brien's speech at the Collinwood B and F, Malthouse would be enjoy O'Brien's fellation too much to contemplate trading...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Ball can always nominate for the PSD and name a price.

The filth may get him that way. Depends on what Melbourne Richmond or Freo have in their SC

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

would not slip that far joffa no chance in hell...

saintrod
Club Player

Looks like we are after a tall defender from the pie accoridng to this story.

St kilda wish list is understood to include Nathan Brown and several of the Magpies' younger tall defenders rather any of the so-called A-grade talent at the Lexus Centre, a request that has a financial reality built into it.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 09,00.html

goodie
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Ball can always nominate for the PSD and name a price.

The filth may get him that way. Depends on what Melbourne Richmond or Freo have in their SC
Collingwood's way too high on the ladder. If Ball does go into the PSD, Collingwood won't get him.

Should ask how he feels about other clubs

markp
Saintsational Legend

Interesting...
Ball has told the Saints he is not interested in leaving for any club other than Collingwood, which has some at St Kilda holding out hope that if a deal can't be struck they will retain the former captain.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:

FAKIN TARKYN ??!?!??!?

To quote J McEnroe: YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also on the same page

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

When the deal doesn't get done (I have faith in Collingwood's inability not to succed at the trade table), what happens to Ball.

I assume we've shown him the door?

As an uncontracted player, is he allowed to train at other CLubs?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Interesting...
Ball has told the Saints he is not interested in leaving for any club other than Collingwood, which has some at St Kilda holding out hope that if a deal can't be struck they will retain the former captain.
Hope not. Ball has burnt his bridges AFAIAC.

He wants to walk from the club and his mates and then gives ultimatums???

Well f^^k that. You will go where we say or Piss off to the PSD you low character sook.

Getting sick of Ball and his tantrums.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:When the deal doesn't get done (I have faith in Collingwood's inability not to succed at the trade table), what happens to Ball.

I assume we've shown him the door?

As an uncontracted player, is he allowed to train at other CLubs?
Can be drafted in the National Draft if we delist him or then in the PSD.

Ball is uncontracted (apparently a three year deal offered in June isn't good enough) so he can be picked up in either draft.

Lance or James??

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I would be over the moon if we got Harry O in a straight swap for Ball... Would never happen, Harry O came 4th in their B&F, he's younger and just has far more value... TBH We probably would have to add in our second and third round picks for them to consider it.... after said consideration they would still say no.

Collingwood don't really have any young key backs I'm too interested in TBH... none of them are that great...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't mind this for a deal...

I wonder if there is any way we could get injury prone Jesse Smith involved in the deal too?

Perhaps something like -

Saints Get - 2nd Rounder (Coll), Nathan Brown and Jesse Smith
Saints Lose - Luke Ball 3rd Rounder

North Get - 3rd Rounder (Coll)
North Lose - Jesse Smith

Pies Get - Luke Ball, 3rd Rounder (STK)
Pies Lose - Nathan Brown, 2nd Rounder, 3rd Rounder

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Either Collingwood are just playing hard ball, or they actually don't rate him that high.

I do get a feeling that if a trade doesn't get organized, Ball and Lyon wont be able to work together no more as they obviously don't see eye-to-eye and he just might take his chances in the PSD on principle.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Joffaboy wrote:

Well f^^k that. You will go where we say or Piss off to the PSD you low character sook.

Well written Joffaboy, couldnt agree more.

gooner
Club Player

If this doesn't go through I've no problem with Ball coming back on a lower wage. Put your head down, arse up, work hard, shut up and maybe you'll get a game.

As for letting him go through to the PSD surely we would like something rather than nothing? Let's not let spite get in the way of good business.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

gooner wrote:If this doesn't go through I've no problem with Ball coming back on a lower wage. Put your head down, arse up, work hard, shut up and maybe you'll get a game.

As for letting him go through to the PSD surely we would like something rather than nothing? Let's not let spite get in the way of good business.
IMO trading Ball to Collingwood for a second or third rounder is actually worse for our premiership chances then letting him go to the psd...

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Do you reckon the 'list' is a bit of guesswork from FS? I just can't understand our supposed interest in NJB. I wanted to get him in 06, but the emergence of Zac Dawson makes me question whether we need another key defender. I wonder if they're looking at the Hudghton retirement and thinking we need another key defender to replace Max.

Ben Reid gets a lot more of the ball and plays more of a CHB role. If his kicking has improved, he'd be much more interesting, but still, not exactly what we need.

I also wonder if we're looking to on-trade for something that fits our needs a little better.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

To quote Cold Chisel, "You got nothin' I want, you got nothin' I need!"

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

gooner wrote:If this doesn't go through I've no problem with Ball coming back on a lower wage. Put your head down, arse up, work hard, shut up and maybe you'll get a game.

It's probably not as much about spite as it is about not giving a huge advantage to a close competitor in Collingwood.

Port did it when the Filth were a top 4 club & Port was too. Why give them a very good player like Nick Stevens when he may help the Filth go past Port?

While many people thought that Choco was just being pig headed, I thought he tactically didn't allow a close opposition to improve without improving his own list. Port lost Stevens but Collingwood didn't improve by getting him.

We're in the same situation with Bally. He will make beating Collingwood a harder task next year if he is black & white. St Kilda needs to offset that by taking something from Collingwood that will make it harder for them to beat us.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Do you reckon the 'list' is a bit of guesswork from FS? I just can't understand our supposed interest in NJB. I wanted to get him in 06, but the emergence of Zac Dawson makes me question whether we need another key defender. I wonder if they're looking at the Hudghton retirement and thinking we need another key defender to replace Max.

Ben Reid gets a lot more of the ball and plays more of a CHB role. If his kicking has improved, he'd be much more interesting, but still, not exactly what we need.

I also wonder if we're looking to on-trade for something that fits our needs a little better.
Even with Dawson what do we do when Blake retires? Sam Fisher is older than most people realise and most our tall defenders are better flankers than key position players... I wouldn't mind having Nathan Brown but I wouldn't be impressed if it was a straight swap.

|Andy|
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:

IMO trading Ball to Collingwood for a second or third rounder is actually worse for our premiership chances then letting him go to the psd...
Yeh would rather Ball play for Melbourne than improve Collingwood's midfield.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think Collingwood do want Luke, I also think they have told Luke that they want him, and I think that's why we should play hard and on our terms....

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:Joffaboy wrote:

Well written Joffaboy, couldnt agree more.
Chomp Chomp...

Nothing like the taste of our own. :P

Just kidding.

Yeah Bridges burned as far as I am concerned too.

I am really surprised, but I thought Luke had a LOT more ticker than this.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....