Ball to Melbourne?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gardiner_#1_fan
Club Player

Ball to Melbourne?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Aparently we have offered him a better deal. We will have to wait and see.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i see it as a geniune possibility..... local club.... ease of training for him...
old skipper (mcdonald 32).... L Ball potential skipper in 2011....

only sticking point will be that they are utter rubbish..

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

He's gone.

Move on.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

yup

Had some muppet from Melbourne's list management on SEN a short time ago.

They have already met with Luke's delightful manager. Did so as soon as the trade period ended...

So be it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Article on the official MFC website: :shock:

Quote:
Following the conclusion of the AFL Trade Period, the Melbourne Football Club has declared its interest in Luke Ball.

General Manager - List Management, Tim Harrington, said, "We immediately held talks with Luke’s manager, Paul Connors, to get a better understanding of Luke’s future plans, given that we have the first selection in the pre-season draft.â€

Hold your ground :shock:
suss
Club Player

They can crap on all they like and post cute little notices like that on their website but the fact is that he still may sign with us and if he doesn't, he effectively condemns himself to never playing finals again - not at AFL level anyway. Their heaven becomes his hell - not sure he'd want to sign up for that.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:They can crap on all they like and post cute little notices like that on their website but the fact is that he still may sign with us and if he doesn't, he effectively condemns himself to never playing finals again - not at AFL level anyway. Their heaven becomes his hell - not sure he'd want to sign up for that.
What concerns me most is that we may get NOTHING for Ball.

And that is wrong if it happens.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
suss wrote:They can crap on all they like and post cute little notices like that on their website but the fact is that he still may sign with us and if he doesn't, he effectively condemns himself to never playing finals again - not at AFL level anyway. Their heaven becomes his hell - not sure he'd want to sign up for that.

BS - we get alot.

We make sure a premiership threat isn't stronger and that the players know that if they walk out that they cant make ultimatums to the club and put them over abarrel.

We say to the rest of the AFl - dont try and F*** us over.

We get self esteem

We get pride in our club.

All of it is much better than some s.hitty draft pick for a flog that will never play for us anyway.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Agreed.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

MELBOURNE has taken immediate action to recruit Saints onballer Luke Ball through the pre-season draft.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/l ... 5784579357

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

BS - we get alot.

We make sure a premiership threat isn't stronger and that the players know that if they walk out that they cant make ultimatums to the club and put them over abarrel.

We get self esteem

All of it is much better than some s.hitty draft pick for a flog that will never play for us anyway.
+1

The Club is always bigger than the individual, be that
President
CEO
Coach
Player

The ramifications of acceding to Ball/Connors requests and/or demands could well cause us to implode.

Why wouldn't other players request/demand whatever they want from us if they see Ball get away with it?

What will other player managers think if they see Ball demand and receive a salary package well above his current worth. Especially if they have jsut re-negotiated or are in the mids of negotiateing?

IMO the Club had no option other than to proceed on the path they did.
Last edited by Mr Magic on Fri 09 Oct 2009 6:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:

Totally agree, nice of Melbourne to suddenly be all interested when trading has closed. Can't think to much of him if they are not prepared to give anything for him.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
milney044
Club Player

Why would they want to give anything up for him when they can have him for free.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
super dooper
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote: only sticking point will be that they are utter rubbish..
They're gonna be a very good team in 2-3 years time and some some bright talent in the midfield and backline...

I rather him go to Richmond where he will be entrenched on the bottom of the ladder as they re-enter another 5 year planning process...

fingers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

BS - we get alot.

We get self esteem

+1

As for getting a "young man of character" well character doesn't up and leave.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Lyon said there's two options on the table for Ball: "Come back to St Kilda and trail and deliver the actions that get you selected in the senior team or go into the pre season draft and take your chances."

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
fingers
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Lyon said there's two options on the table for Ball: "Come back to St Kilda and trail and deliver the actions that get you selected in the senior team or go into the pre season draft and take your chances."
Just posted that in another thread. I LOVE THAT.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I hope something can be worked out, but its better for us if ball goes to melbourne for nothing than to Collingwood for pick 30.

pick 30 is nothing, while luke ball makes a strong club stronger.

luke ball at Melbourne...well he'll be their best player.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

F*** Melbourne.

Pack of leachers

Would Ball be silly enough to go there?

Another opportunity awaits!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:F*** Melbourne.

Pack of leachers

Would Ball be silly enough to go there?
My thoughts exactly...

Yes, he wanted more game time and was willing to play for less money, But surely he still wants to play for a Club that play in Finals...

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

we rebuilt like that some time ago.

we got a few good years out of stephen powell who was an absolute beast, ironically his injuries and retirement exposed ball to hits.

powell, tough inside midfielder with limited kicking and speed but known for his tough tackling and physical presence on and off the ball...

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
PJ
SS Life Member

I hope he goes to Melbourne actually. Nothing personal but Armitage has been on our list for 3 years now and Steven needs game time. We have to bring these guys through now or it's pointless having them there. I'm expecting to see Armo get at least 20 games next season and I think the coaches are hoping for a big year from him. Bally isn't the right fit any longer IMO.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Can someone set up a poll of where we all think Luke will go

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I hope he goes to Melbourne actually. Nothing personal but Armitage has been on our list for 3 years now and Steven needs game time. We have to bring these guys through now or it's pointless having them there. I'm expecting to see Armo get at least 20 games next season and I think the coaches are hoping for a big year from him. Bally isn't the right fit any longer IMO.
If Luke is offered another contract, he will not be an automatic selection and just walk back in the side.

Armitage could just use it as further fuel to prove why the spot should be his....competition for spots is never a bad thing.
Last edited by SainterK on Fri 09 Oct 2009 7:40pm, edited 1 time in total.