Saints players LIVID with Luke Ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Lennon
Club Player

jk23 wrote:I wish it would get sorted one way or another, I had a dream about luke last night ! he knocked on my door and he decided to get a ride to the footy with me and he was in the red, white and black, also said to him go get some more brownlow votes as he was the favorite.... :wink:
Awww. :)

spert
Saintsational Legend

Probably best to break it down into the fact that RL is trying to build a team for a flag, probably peaked surprisingly a year too early. To RL, Ball is one of the players who has a few issues ,and the clear playing ones (cant speak for any personal ones if any) are for a player of his size, too slow and has poor foot disposal plus some defensive issues- there are others coming through who are better in that area, and the opposition in the top few teams is full of fast ,medium size line-breaking mids who can kick well. If we want a flag, we must be better than the opposition basically in that area, we cant have a team with just stoppers and taggers. I reckon RL has made that clear to Ball and Ball has seen the writing on the wall.

BaysideSaint
Club Player

spert wrote:Probably best to break it down into the fact that RL is trying to build a team for a flag, probably peaked surprisingly a year too early. To RL, Ball is one of the players who has a few issues ,and the clear playing ones (cant speak for any personal ones if any) are for a player of his size, too slow and has poor foot disposal plus some defensive issues- there are others coming through who are better in that area, and the opposition in the top few teams is full of fast ,medium size line-breaking mids who can kick well. If we want a flag, we must be better than the opposition basically in that area, we cant have a team with just stoppers and taggers. I reckon RL has made that clear to Ball and Ball has seen the writing on the wall.
great post yeah.
the thing is that RL needs guys who can read it a little better.
put it this way: when GAJ takes a mark at HF you know he is going to wheel-around and play-on. you cant allow GAJ to wheel-around. You need a guy who is "versatile" enough to be able to say to himself
"i'm on GAJ. my job is to stop GAJ. if GAJ takes one on me i have to be confident enough to be able to stop him from wheeling-around. if he gets a split-second he's going to wheel-around and play-on. my job is to stop that from happening"
luke ball is simply not that guy.

markp
Saintsational Legend

It wouldn't surprise me if some players were livid... he was happy to be paid over the mark for years, then when things get challenging and his pay is set to drop to what he is actually worth he walks... how many better players in the team would've turned down more lucrative offers from the filth and others over the years?

I think among players probably one of the worst thing you can be labelled is a mercenary.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if some players were livid... he was happy to be paid over the mark for years, then when things get challenging and his pay is set to drop to what he is actually worth he walks... how many better players in the team would've turned down more lucrative offers from the filth and others over the years?

I think among players probably one of the worst thing you can be labelled is a mercenary.
I don't think he's leaving for cash is he?

I know one-eyed fans will like to believe that, but in reality surely it's doubtful that it's the case.

The most realisitic, but hardest for fans to swallow, is that the club are pretty ruthless and don't rate him and don't plan on playing him alot. Like Max and Goose.

Milton66
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if some players were livid... he was happy to be paid over the mark for years, then when things get challenging and his pay is set to drop to what he is actually worth he walks... how many better players in the team would've turned down more lucrative offers from the filth and others over the years?

I know one-eyed fans will like to believe that, but in reality surely it's doubtful that it's the case.

The most realisitic, but hardest for fans to swallow, is that the club are pretty ruthless and don't rate him and don't plan on playing him alot. Like Max and Goose.
Max seemed to be rated pretty well until he got injured this year. Played pretty much all of last year. So it's a long bow to draw in his case.

Goose, I'm not sure about... and Ball he still got selected despite his limitations.

If keeping players that can execute the brand of footy that a coach wants is ruthless or cold hearted, then that works for me.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

He was chosen to play in the GF.

Do you think it's about love?

If it's not primarily about cash I'll go hee.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
The most realistic, but hardest for fans to swallow, is that the club are pretty ruthless and don't rate him and don't plan on playing him alot. Like Max and Goose.
I'm not sure that you can say that they don't rate him. A three year contract suggests that they do rate him, even if it was for a lot less. How many fringe players get a three year deal?

Consensus seems to be that he was overpaid, and a reduced contract was always on the cards. Seems like he, and/or his manager were offended by the amount offered.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
BaysideSaint
Club Player

markp wrote:If it's not primarily about cash I'll go hee.
put money before the colours. dumb move IMO.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

now don't go off making half-assed comments :wink:

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Milton66
SS Life Member

BaysideSaint wrote:
put money before the colours. dumb move IMO.
I don't necessarily agree with this. I have no problem with someone looking to advance their career... and the club's loyalty only extends to how valuable any given player is.

What I don't like is that Ball made this decision, knowing what the risks were... and now that it didn't happen, people want to blame our club.

As far as players are concerned, if they made a pact, and also took paycuts to keep together, then they'd have every reason to be livid with Luke.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

I know one thing:

If Luke Ball is leaving the teammates he's known for his entire professional career and the club he's played for since he was 17 that just so happens to be on the brink of a Premiership and money is the driving force behind his decision...

Luke Ball is a 24-carat twat.

Which is why I don't believe money has any bearing whatsoever.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Yup, and if they'd offered him a 3 year deal on the same money he's been getting he still wouldn't have signed.

Some people are in gaga land over this.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I hope Lovett dashes away from Ball (if Ball chooses another club) to kick a long goal from outside 50 - and his St Kilda team mates high fiving him for his brilliance - that would be worth seeing !

But wouldn't Ball prefer to stay and be the player who handballed to Lovett ?

Anyway the ball is in Ball's court .. I hope he doesn't balls things up for himself and end up in a loser club.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 12 Oct 2009 2:11pm, edited 2 times in total.

Banger2Plugger
Club Player

If I were working in PR for Luke Ball...

1) I'd sack his present Manager - did absolutely squat for his reputation, and his value as a player and as an individual.

2) Send him to go consult some real champions, does RL have a point - would doing the things he says make me a better player

3) Make a decision whether to stay or go

4) If go, leave graciously - thank the StKilda faithful

5) If stay - announce that I'm heading to work on the things that are required of me, to come back to pre season training in the best shape of my career, and to re-earn the trust of my teammates, my coach, and the fans - I want to be part of a premiership team!

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
BaysideSaint
Club Player

some things money just can't buy. some things are priceless. class is indeterminable and the best things in life are free.

The_Sainter

All,
there are two sides to every story! I actually saw and spoke to Luke Ball on Friday night (October 2nd) and Luke stated that he wasn't wanted by the club.

I for one would like Luke Ball to be part of our premiership campaign for season 2010 as he is a valuable player even if it is for 50 - 60 % game time.

Don't shoot him down as he is a class player and more importantly a class person.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

The_Sainter wrote:All,
there are two sides to every story! I actually saw and spoke to Luke Ball on Friday night (October 2nd) and Luke stated that he wasn't wanted by the club.

I for one would like Luke Ball to be part of our premiership campaign for season 2010 as he is a valuable player even if it is for 50 - 60 % game time.

Don't shoot him down as he is a class player and more importantly a class person.
I spoke to GOD just then and he said how on earth can that Ball guy have felt unwanted with a three year deal on the table in June...

God was most upset about it.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
BaysideSaint
Club Player

Thinline wrote:I spoke to GOD just then and he said how on earth can that Ball guy have felt unwanted with a three year deal on the table in June...

1 Thessalonians 5:16

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BaysideSaint wrote:
Thinline wrote:I spoke to GOD just then and he said how on earth can that Ball guy have felt unwanted with a three year deal on the table in June...

1 Thessalonians 5:16
5:16

thats bad kicking

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i really doubt all of this conjecture . players themselves just dont get into judging others on all the contract stuff. most of them try to stay out of it all - hence the use of managers.

LB just wasnt feeling the love from the coach and in the end just wanted to be playing 80 minutes of senior footy each week. end of story.

the other players would not be hold a grudge against him for a minute. theyll just get on with their own lives and careers and some of them will remain lifelong friends of LB regardless of what he does next.

i reckon we should all do the same.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
I spoke to GOD just then and he said how on earth can that Ball guy have felt unwanted with a three year deal on the table in June...

God must be a moron then.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:i really doubt all of this conjecture . players themselves just dont get into judging others on all the contract stuff. most of them try to stay out of it all - hence the use of managers.

LB just wasnt feeling the love from the coach and in the end just wanted to be playing 80 minutes of senior footy each week. end of story.

the other players would not be hold a grudge against him for a minute. theyll just get on with their own lives and careers and some of them will remain lifelong friends of LB regardless of what he does next.

Nice to see some sense for once in this place.

Milton66
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:i really doubt all of this conjecture . players themselves just dont get into judging others on all the contract stuff. most of them try to stay out of it all - hence the use of managers.

Have you learnt anything?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Have you learnt anything?
Thanks to the above post, I've learnt that not all footy fans and SS posters aren't complete and utter simpletons who are completely unable to maintain rationale in the face of any adversity. By 'adversity', I mean the slightest bump in the road when it comes to supporting the Saints.

Most become blubbering emotive wrecks and lose all logic and sense completely.