Why the noose on Goose?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Why the noose on Goose?

I have been bemused by many on the forum who have concluded that Matt Maguire is finished as a footballer or we should have traded him for crappy draft picks.

I think our current defensive style suits him, with less emphasis on one on one contests, instead setting up zones where players can cut across the path of the incoming ball. In the past, he has been one of our few key defenders who knew when to leave his man and attack. His kicking is also long and penetrating and a nightmare for opposition defenders.

I think the football department has managed his return to football extremely well. it's not just the broken leg, but the foot problems have presented the most dangerous long term risk to his football career. We have seen how Egan from Geelong and recently Trent Croad who have paid the price of returning too early from their foot injuries (or continuing to play with them).

Dave Misson, as we have seen, knows what he's doing, and now Maguire has a chance to have his first proper pre-season in four years. If he can become as aerobically fit as our other defenders, I really see a place for him in this team.

I haven't written him off at any stage, and I won't be the least bit surprised if he's one of our boom recruits for 2010. Like I said, the current defensive style suits him beautifully and his kicking can punch through the opposition zone.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

It will be hard to get back.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why the noose on Goose?

cwrcyn wrote:I think the football department has managed his return to football extremely well.
Been saying exactly that for a while. I also think this year has been a huge step in Goose's recovery and great to see there has been no rush in bringing him back.

He was supposedly in line for a recall for the Hawks game when he did the hammy, but I don't think he was ever in Ross's grand plan for the finals this year.

2010 for Goose, looking forward to it immensely.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I would love to see the Goose back in full flight, but somehow I doubt it.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i'd love to see him make it back, but it might not happen.

his problem is that he's limited in the number of positions he can play and all the key position spots were pretty adequetely filled last season in a team that kept on winning.

i would have given him a run as a like-for-like replacement for kosi when kosi was suspended, but goose had been playing mostly back for sandringham.

at his best he's aerially a very strong key position player. ross and sos seem to think mostly in terms of match-ups defensively, so the lack of too many jonathan brown types among our opponents might count against him.

i'd like to see him play forward for sandringham more often. this would give him a better opportunity to press his claims.

saintnick12
Club Player

Has Goose actually signed yet? I'm hoping he stays and have heard he was offered one year, but have yet to see it announced that he has signed.

I hope so!! Would love to see Goose back. He deserves another year to give it his best shot.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

The Goose aint cooked

He'll be back...

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: We have seen how Egan from Geelong and recently Trent Croad who have paid the price of returning too early from their foot injuries (or continuing to play with them).
Ankles BTW

As for Goose he has to show a lot next season if he has a hope of staying around and it wouldn't surprise me (but I don't think it will happen) if he is cut loose this year anyway.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

The instigator of this post has nailed one damn fine piece of analysis. He's dead right when commenting on Goose's propensity to run off, to attack, to unsettle the opposition. He is spot on.

I just hope that trademark, entirely in keeping with how we play, is the reason his career is still alive with us. I like to think it is.

Brave bastards who will go to the next contest with commitment, is our trademark. Goose did it before Ross made it so.

And, if nothing else, if Zac was to go down, who of size could step up?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I'm very doubtful too

IMO he just doesn't suit the modern game.

He's not a clean enough spoiler for the backline, nor is he quck, versatile, and his disposal is ok at best.
Forumites may not remember, but he was REALLY struggling even b4 he hurt jis leg/foot whatver the injury was.

The query is his agility now.

The only potential I see for him is up forward as a medium sized forward but I don't know if I can see him do it.

If we could have gotten a decent pick for him I would have taken it. IMO high risk of ending up on the stockpile at the end of the season

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:I think the football department has managed his return to football extremely well.
Been saying exactly that for a while. I also think this year has been a huge step in Goose's recovery and great to see there has been no rush in bringing him back.

He was supposedly in line for a recall for the Hawks game when he did the hammy, but I don't think he was ever in Ross's grand plan for the finals this year.

2010 for Goose, looking forward to it immensely.
I think he may be our tall forward that we have been looking for.

Matt, you have my full support for what it's worth. Go Goose!

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I'm very doubtful too

IMO he just doesn't suit the modern game.

He's not a clean enough spoiler for the backline, nor is he quck, versatile, and his disposal is ok at best.
Forumites may not remember, but he was REALLY struggling even b4 he hurt jis leg/foot whatver the injury was.

The query is his agility now.

The only potential I see for him is up forward as a medium sized forward but I don't know if I can see him do it.

If we could have gotten a decent pick for him I would have taken it. IMO high risk of ending up on the stockpile at the end of the season
Skeptic, I generally agree with you but on this I respectfully don't agree with you on this one. I think the fitness staff have had a plan for Goose based on the demise of Egan and Brown. I think he needs to re-bulk up and play on the forward line. However, if he could get back to playing on the back line that would be great.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i think we at least seem to agree that his future is pbly up forward

Saints43
Club Player

I don't want this to sound like I'm having a go at Zac or Blakey (who I have been a big defender of over the years) but if Goose can't look at our backline (which works because of system rather than stars) and believe that he cannot take one of those spots then he should give it away.

I reckon he would be confident of forcing his way in if his body holds up.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I rate Goose, he'll be back playing good footy. Hpefully for us.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I am afraid after seeing Goose this year that he will be lucky to play a few games at best next year. Due to injury doesnt really have much going for him now. Is a depth player at best.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:I am afraid after seeing Goose this year that he will be lucky to play a few games at best next year. Due to injury doesnt really have much going for him now. Is a depth player at best.
Have to agree plugger, whilst still hoping *fingers crossed* that I am wrong. Watched quite a few Sandringham games this year. There are some question marks.......

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Did the Goose have an uninterupted preseason this year?

If not when was the last time he did?

Full preseason makes a big difference.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

GT had question marks on Goose and that was before he was injured...

He'll be a depth player because we don't have many coming through for
key positions....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I am still hopeful, would love to see him return to the seniors...

Milton66
SS Life Member

In my expert opinion, based on the fact that I have not got a clue as to what's going on inside the club... and not having any direct communication with Ross Lyon, I can honestly state as fact that Goose will either be with us next year... or maybe he won't.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
ace
Saintsational Legend

The Goose will fly again.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
makemytime
Club Player

ace wrote:The Goose will fly again.
ditto, throw him into the forward line as a marking medium :P

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

We all need to be mindful that Goose is coming from a long way back. There were reports that he came close to having part of his leg amputated. That is a bloody serious injury. Former Saint Dean Greig lost part of a leg because of compartment syndrome after breaking his leg playing suburban footy.

If Goose gets back to playing at the top level, it will be testement to the Guy's strength of character (and the skills of our medical & physio people). I say;

GOOD LUCK GOOSE !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Goose is King