Ross 'The Regulator' Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Top4King
Club Player

Ross 'The Regulator' Lyon

I reckon within about a month of walking through the door at Moorabbin RL has gone "Luke Ball is on too much money".
RL has been working at reducing Ball's wage since then.
Any thoughts?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Ross has secured Lovett for run/carry/elite pace.

I reckon hes got Tommy Walsh as a wildcard and IF Ball re signs....we have just secured one of the comps better in/under mids........the lot for pick 16.

That'll do me.

“Yeah….nah””
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I am pretty sure a month in he didn't give a rats about anyones pay

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

It's the Football Manager's job to worry about player payments and contracts, not the coach.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I'm pretty sure he looked at Luke and thought get the injuries out of his system and let's see what he can do. Pretty sure he believes a man of Luke's talent should be influencing games more. Especially after watching Kirk at close quarters. He's raised the bar for Luke and wants him to play 'Saints Footy' of the highest quality. Time for Luke to come back and pick up that gauntlet.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

luke ball was getting twenty possessions in less than half a game of footy...plus all the hard ball gets, tackles and doing all the real tough sh!t,,,f*** knows why that wasn't good enough for our coach.....they are the facts...not the sh!t that is being peddled here and at moorabbin.ffs......... :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
oneteam
Club Player

stinger wrote:luke ball was getting twenty possessions in less than half a game of footy...plus all the hard ball gets, tackles and doing all the real tough sh!t,,,f*** knows why that wasn't good enough for our coach.....they are the facts...not the sh!t that is being peddled here and at moorabbin.ffs......... :roll: :roll:
the other teams set strategies to run off him. So he gets possessions, and hasn't yet got the tank to spread. Until he gets that into his game, he will be a weak link. i hope he fixes it , physically and mentally , and continues with the club

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I like Luke as much as the next bloke. In fact I like all our players, much to the annoyance of those I go to the footy with :? .

There’s no doubt he was doing all the tough stuff and was getting reasonable stats with limited game time. But that doesn’t mitigate the fact that, for whatever reasons, he currently lacks pace and kicking skills. And while he may stop an opposition side with a bone crunching tackle, he does not hurt them offensively.

I’m sure we’d all like the Luke Ball of a couple of years back but it’s really up to him, and his body, whether we see that again. But it’s not the fault of Ross Lyon!

PJ
SS Life Member

luke ball was getting twenty possessions in less than half a game of footy
Actually that's not correct - he did that in the GF but before he was dropped his form was tailing off quite a bit. Yes he should be doing that every game and can again but gotta say Luke's form was pretty ordinary before he took a break at Sandy.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
ace
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:It's the Football Manager's job to worry about player payments and contracts, not the coach.
Exactly, that way the coach can say, you are here now, do the job I give you. You have money problems, worry about them on your day off, now do the job I give you.

RL has no problem demanding the best out his players no matter what they are paid.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross 'The Regulator' Lyon

Top4King wrote:I reckon within about a month of walking through the door at Moorabbin RL has gone "Luke Ball is on too much money".
Any thoughts?
Yes, I don't agree with you.

ace
Saintsational Legend

oneteam wrote:
stinger wrote:luke ball was getting twenty possessions in less than half a game of footy...plus all the hard ball gets, tackles and doing all the real tough sh!t,,,f*** knows why that wasn't good enough for our coach.....they are the facts...not the sh!t that is being peddled here and at moorabbin.ffs......... :roll: :roll:
the other teams set strategies to run off him. So he gets possessions, and hasn't yet got the tank to spread. Until he gets that into his game, he will be a weak link. i hope he fixes it , physically and mentally , and continues with the club

Luke is tremendous defensively in close but as you say other teams are prepared to concede the ball to Luke because his possessions do not directly hurt.
If there is one player opposition coaches would like the ball in he hands of it is Luke Ball, he can't hurt by foot because the area threatened by his kicks are less than half any other St Kilda player.

Has anyone noticed that it is when opposition players are forced to handball or kick under pressure that our forward pressure works.
We set up a rolling zone to dissuade opponents from kicking long, then when they miss a mark or handpass we swamp them.
A player forced to hand ball is one step closer to a turnover.
The zone players don't get any possessions out of this, but they do help force the turnover.
When players run off Ball or he fails to take up station in the zone he compromises the team tactics.

Like Ross says it is what Luke does in the 98% of the time when he does not have possession that matters.

Luke has got to run as well as do good work around stoppages.
He needs to get out of the gym and get on the track whether he goes or stays.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Milan Faletic wrote:
Top4King wrote:I reckon within about a month of walking through the door at Moorabbin RL has gone "Luke Ball is on too much money".
Any thoughts?
He does like to have a finger in every pie though.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

B W and R all over wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
Any thoughts?
He does like to have a finger in every pie though.
We're not talking about GT.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
gotta say Luke's form was pretty ordinary before he took a break at Sandy.

so was his game time....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
oneteam wrote:

Luke is tremendous defensively in close but as you say other teams are prepared to concede the ball to Luke because his possessions do not directly hurt.
If there is one player opposition coaches would like the ball in he hands of it is Luke Ball, he can't hurt by foot because the area threatened by his kicks are less than half any other St Kilda player.

don't think gardiner or the geelong coaches would agree with you there..... :roll: :twisted: