Think laterally for sponsorship

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Think laterally for sponsorship

I am writing this hoping that it is an avenue which has been explored. St Kilda should look to obtain a sponsor which links it with one of the largest populations and growing economies in the world - India.

If the club was able to make a strategic alliance with a company (e.g Dilhma Tea or the like) it would potentially be worth a fortune. We are talking about a country with a huge population, which does not have government restrictions like China, who have ovals which could be used , have passionate supporters and also have a largepopulation here in Australia.

To me the upside is enormous - sponsorship, membership, perhaps send players over for an exhibition game ( safety permitting and you know the AFL would love it).
The amount of money over there is obscene and a huge opportunity from a busines and strategy position to get in before any other club does.AFL would love it especially if they got any sort of TV following, image what we could sell that for to our sponsors.

Need to think outside the box to move forward and stay ahead of the pack. Forget a couple mill from Tas you could be talking Millions each year ongoing.

GreatNo9s
Club Player

Indian sporting sponsorships have typically been linked to events which have a significant television audience in India.
IPL, World Cup Cricket, ICC Champions Trophy - there is a theme here...

As great as our game, I cant see it having any TV appeal for the average Indian TV consumer or potential Indian companies.

There are limited public open spaces so there is no real market for game development for the masses

Now an interesting market for the AFL is Korea - south Korea that is. Tough people the Koreans so they wouldn't mind the physical contact in AFL (given taekwondo is their national sport !), good robust economy, big blue chip manufacturers...

Who is the best number 9 for the Saints ?
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Indian sponsorships allegedly point to match fixing or get bogged down in the allegations...

best to steer well clear of the dubious and stem the corruption ,or, collusion allegations....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Think laterally for sponsorship

lol

What would the difference be between any other sponsership?

A indian company wont pay us more money so they can bring a afl match to india, no one in india is interested in the AFL. There may be money (not really) over their but they wont just give it to us because we want it.

An sponsership with a Indian company will be for the Australian market only.
The amount of money over there is obscene
You obviously don't know much about India, the amount of poverty over their is obscene, the amount of corruption is obscene the only way to get a obscene amount of money out of India for a AFL team would be to throw matches.
Last edited by ausfatcat on Fri 06 Nov 2009 10:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

it might be worth making sure this guy is on board;
--------------------------------------------------
Cazaly re-names Hamersley project November 6, 2009 - 4:44PM

Cazaly Resources Ltd has re-named its Hamersley project in Western Australia's Pilbara region after a feisty AFL footballer to distance the junior iron ore explorer from any association with its sparring partner Rio Tinto Ltd.

AAP suggested Winmar after famed St Kilda player Nicky Winmar, which was promptly accepted by Cazaly co-managing director Nathan McMahon, who is well-known for his zealous loyalty to the Saints.

The early-stage project was provisionally named Hamersley after the ranges in which it is nestled, but given that Rio Tinto owns the Hamersley iron ore unit, Cazaly sought a new moniker.

Cazaly named itself after the early 20th century Aussie Rules great Roy Cazaly, who also played many seasons for St Kilda.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://www.watoday.com.au/breaking-news ... tml?page=2

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Milton66
SS Life Member

Surely The Reject Shop would be more appropriate as a sponsor? :lol:

Or The Loyalty Bank of Canada.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
older saint
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:lol

A indian company wont pay us more money so they can bring a afl match to india, no one in india is interested in the AFL. There may be money (not really) over their but they wont just give it to us because we want it.

You obviously don't know much about India, the amount of poverty over their is obscene, the amount of corruption is obscene the only way to get a obscene amount of money out of India for a AFL team would be to throw matches.
I would argue itis you who knows little about INdia. Some of the richest nations in the world have terrible poverty for their people, China, India, Iraq (pre invasion).
South Korea alos a good option, or we could just compete with everyone else for the dollars in Australia, a smaller market in the world scale.
Watch in the world economy over the next 5 years everyone talks of China but India is the sleeping giant.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

They might throw in a free fire extinguisher for each member :)

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I believe you are deluded

Why would a Indian company sponser a Australian sports team???

It wouldn't offer them any coverage in India and not help the company at all. Sponsership isn't about giving away money, it's about gain expposure for that company within it's product demographic. If that demgraphic isn't Australian it's not worth 1 cent for the company to sponser the Saints let alone sponser them above and beyond what we currently have in place. Sure they could get the saints to do a few exhibition matches here and there and get maybe 20,000 Indian there (maybe 100,000 if it were free)but would thatbe worth the company spending 2+ million a year. Hell no this is so far removed from reality it's not funny. They could sponser their own cricket team for not much more and get a lot more coverage than they would with us.

And no Indian people are not rich nether are Chinese people or Iraqi people their may be wealthy people/companies within those countries that have vast amount of wealth but as a whole they are not "Rich" countries, with relative low per population GDP's (your talking average GDPs of $2,900 for india, $6000 for China, $38,000 Australia). And those companies with money would compare to BHP or US companies.

Why is that relevant? cost of production and selling of goods in those countries cannot be compared to the way we do things here in Australia a billion people yes but 900 million can't afford expensive products (think high margins) and it's expensive products that allow companies to recoop advertising/sponsership expenses. If they can't recoup that money through strong enough increased market share to recoup that money they wont do it.

If you want to do something like thisUS or Europe would be a better option.

If your after money look at Qatar, Kuwait.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

My golly goodness, there is alot of Indian people that live in Melb, so why not. Good food to :wink:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:lol

I would argue itis you who knows little about INdia. Some of the richest nations in the world have terrible poverty for their people, China, India, Iraq (pre invasion).
South Korea alos a good option, or we could just compete with everyone else for the dollars in Australia, a smaller market in the world scale.
Watch in the world economy over the next 5 years everyone talks of China but India is the sleeping giant.
A company called 'Team Melbourne' has just gone into receivership.
Team Melbourne was a joint exercise between Melbourne FC, Melbourne Storm, Melbourne Victory and the City of Melbourne to attract sponsorship and members from China. They spent lots of money and it didn't work. Maybe they did it the wrong way?

ace
Saintsational Legend

Personally I don't like to think laterally - things just seem to go flat.

I prefer to think vertically - then things just seem to go up and up. :D

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
GrumpyOne

No thanks. I'm quite happy with my current telephone deal. :wink:

older saint
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:I believe you are deluded

Why would a Indian company sponser a Australian sports team???

It wouldn't offer them any coverage in India and not help the company at all. Sponsership isn't about giving away money, it's about gain expposure for that company within it's product demographic. If that demgraphic isn't Australian it's not worth 1 cent for the company to sponser the Saints let alone sponser them above and beyond what we currently have in place. Sure they could get the saints to do a few exhibition matches here and there and get maybe 20,000 Indian there (maybe 100,000 if it were free)but would thatbe worth the company spending 2+ million a year. Hell no this is so far removed from reality it's not funny. They could sponser their own cricket team for not much more and get a lot more coverage than they would with us.

And no Indian people are not rich nether are Chinese people or Iraqi people their may be wealthy people/companies within those countries that have vast amount of wealth but as a whole they are not "Rich" countries, with relative low per population GDP's (your talking average GDPs of $2,900 for india, $6000 for China, $38,000 Australia). And those companies with money would compare to BHP or US companies.

Why is that relevant? cost of production and selling of goods in those countries cannot be compared to the way we do things here in Australia a billion people yes but 900 million can't afford expensive products (think high margins) and it's expensive products that allow companies to recoop advertising/sponsership expenses. If they can't recoup that money through strong enough increased market share to recoup that money they wont do it.

If you want to do something like thisUS or Europe would be a better option.

If your after money look at Qatar, Kuwait.
Once again a different opinion leads to a personal insult rather than a reasonable discussion!

So you are basically saying no Indian companies have any interest in entering the Australian market? It is not about selling the products in India it is about selling them in Australia. Perhaps there are not any companies looking to enter the Australian market, perhaps there is. Companies are employed to know this stuff. All I am saying is it shoudl be explored.

IF an Indian company is looking to expand in to the Australian market it makes a lot of sense to sponsor a team in the largest code in the country i would think.

Emirates wanted to enter the Australian airline market and advertised through Collingwood and the Melbourne Cup and i am sure the people of Dubia didn't get any benefot from it or could give a damm about Aussie rules.

The wealth of the country or the per capita GDP is irrelevant, ( esp with 1 billion people compared to 20 million), but if a company of that country wishes to expand globally in to your market area.

IF there is a flow on affect from within the nation of origin it is a bonus for both parties.

I feel no need to try an make my point sound more important than yours by personal insult, i just think people sometimes close off ideas due to stereo types rather than exploring dfirst

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:IF an Indian company is looking to expand in to the Australian market it makes a lot of sense to sponsor a team in the largest code in the country i would think.

Now that is totally different than the impression you gave me from your earlier posts and makes complete sense. But that not think laterally as most sponserships are from companies wishing to expand their Australian market, like our last three sponsers.

older saint
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:
older saint wrote:IF an Indian company is looking to expand in to the Australian market it makes a lot of sense to sponsor a team in the largest code in the country i would think.

Now that is totally different than the impression you gave me from your earlier posts and makes complete sense. But that not think laterally as most sponserships are from companies wishing to expand their Australian market, like our last three sponsers.
Unfortunately email/posts do not provide impression and can be construed differently .
I would argue it is lateral / different as generally Western type companies are looked at - US, British, Aust. , it is changing but still think opportubnity there and if it did happen it has more upside purely because on the population of the company of origin.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Emirates... How ironic that they sponsor the filth.

Interesting chat with a commercial pilot on the weekend. He has a short list of companies he refuses to let his family fly with due to safety concerns... and guess who's number 1?

Loser club - loser airline.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Emirates... How ironic that they sponsor the filth.

Interesting chat with a commercial pilot on the weekend. He has a short list of companies he refuses to let his family fly with due to safety concerns... and guess who's number 1?

Loser club - loser airline.
In the interests of safety, who else is on the short list?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell