Ball to nominate for draft today according to The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:I have been a big fan of Ball. he's never been anywhere as good as Judd or Hodge.

I still think his career was cut to shreds by playing him with OP.

If he chooses to go, then all the best and thanks for your years of service.

All this "former Captain" hype... well if it wasn't for GT's policy, then I doubt Ball would have got the gig, and even when he got it under RL (yes, that nasty coach did make him co capt IIRC), he gave it away to focus on improving his game.

Will we lose him for nothing? Probably yes. But then again, in the big scheme of things,it's a minor setback when you consider the bargains we've had over the last few years.

Something smells fishy in all of this. Is it Luke? The club? or Connors?

Either way, it's best that he moves on, the club moves on... we move on.

Its funny.... I read this and thought.....Gee I wish I could live the dream and play elite football at a club, and get paid handsomely for it for eight years.....then piss them off for nothing.......And still get thanks for it with the best of wishes.

I asked my brother if this thought is too harsh.

I still think nup.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Now official

press release from club

Luke leaving

saint4life
savatage
SS Life Member

So long sooky.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:So long sooky.
Yep.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Spinner wrote:
Yep.
welcome Steven and Armitage ! and a $300 k/annum breathing space.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 10 Nov 2009 12:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Now official

press release from club

Luke leaving
Goodbye Luke...not sure why, but that's about all I can manage :?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Yep.
welcome Steven and Armitage ! and a $300 k/annum breathing space.

I think the only one happy about this will be Armitage.

AT least he kicks goals.

Lets hope he doesn't go to the GC.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
Milton66 wrote:I have been a big fan of Ball. he's never been anywhere as good as Judd or Hodge.

I still think his career was cut to shreds by playing him with OP.

If he chooses to go, then all the best and thanks for your years of service.

All this "former Captain" hype... well if it wasn't for GT's policy, then I doubt Ball would have got the gig, and even when he got it under RL (yes, that nasty coach did make him co capt IIRC), he gave it away to focus on improving his game.

Will we lose him for nothing? Probably yes. But then again, in the big scheme of things,it's a minor setback when you consider the bargains we've had over the last few years.

Something smells fishy in all of this. Is it Luke? The club? or Connors?

Either way, it's best that he moves on, the club moves on... we move on.

Its funny.... I read this and thought.....Gee I wish I could live the dream and play elite football at a club, and get paid handsomely for it for eight years.....then piss them off for nothing.......And still get thanks for it with the best of wishes.

I asked my brother if this thought is too harsh.

I still think nup.
meh, sh1t happens.

the interesting part about the club's release is that the recent meeting outlined what was required of Luke. so was he told less game time? Or is he not up to the challenge?

Either way, there are many answers still.

Like I say, good luck to him. History will judge if his move was astute or not.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Luke may well have legitimate reasons for leaving however he, along with Connors, has chosen not to make these known at this point in time. Fair enough, that’s his choice to make. However in the absence of an official explanation I will exercise my right to say Good Riddance.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Better Saints players than Luke Ball ahve left our Club before, some by their own desire whilst others were exited out by the Club.

I'm struggling to recall any of them publicly disrespecting teh Club teh way Ball's management did during Trade Week.

Whilst I don't wish him ill, I will not forgive that so far unretracted public slight of the Club that was so good to him for 8 years.
Yes he gave his heart and soul to us over that period, but it was not a one way street either.

Lest anyone forget, Vodafone when announcing reasons why they were not renewing their sponsorship of us cited Ball's personal contract with Telstra as one. The Club chose to back the player and not the sponsor on that one, to their own financial detriment.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

The time has come armo. Step up young fella, you're more than capable. Loves it hard and loves a goal. The main thing that annoys me about this whole thing is that we don't get compo for Ball leaving. Hopefully the extra cash freed up may enable us to jag something in the PSD. This will effectively be compensation.

Maybe Joel McD but we seem to have quite a few half backs. This would further decrease Peakes chance of getting a game. It may free up God to play fwd and pinch hit in the middle.

Word of Harris makes me feel ill.

Despite his knockers, I'm a big fan of McPhee.

Who else is available for the PSD and who is likely to be available for the saints pick?

Maybe that bloke Goose might be available??

yipper
SS Life Member

Would reckon that David Armitage and Jack Steven will be wearing big grins all day today!! But gee wiz Luke. What is your problem?? You were an emerging champion a few years ago, then someone told you to tag a Chris Judd at Subiaco, on a hot,dry day and in trying to keep up with him - you tore your groin, game over from that point. You lost pace and kicking penetration from that point onwards. You were certainly tough and brave and I enjoyed watching you play for us - but cannot, ever understand what in hell has gotten into you this last few months. Good luck with what you're trying to do. But life goes on for us - we will win a flag soon.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Bardon Saint
Club Player

yipper wrote:Would reckon that David Armitage and Jack Steven will be wearing big grins all day today!!.
Whoops, I didn't mention Jack in my thread. A great opportunity for him too. We have great inside mid depth. Losing Luke is not big problem. Go jack & Armo!!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Good riddance you little prick. What a puffed up little princess he turned out to be. No thanks for the last 8 years from me. F*** off and may you not succeed wherever you end up.

ace
Saintsational Legend

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to the next bloke that wants out of the club.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Grant Thomas would look him in the eye and say
"you have achieved nothing and now you never will".

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Thank you for your efforts Luke.
I'm certain that for 8 at times difficult years, you have given your all for St Kilda.
Unfortunately, the combination of money and ego have led to your departure.
I do not blame you, for others would have done the same.
All the best whereever you go, I hope you become captain or win the Brownlow or something like that, but when Roo holds up the cup at the end of next year, realise that you had your chance.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Good riddance you little prick. What a puffed up little princess he turned out to be. No thanks for the last 8 years from me. F*** off and may you not succeed wherever you end up.
Now thats a sensible post as you obviously have all the facts. We knew he wanted to leave and we chose not to let him go. i dont think that now he is leaving it is any surprise at all.

On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

Good bye and good luck to Luke Ball, once he had lost the passion to play with the Saints, it really was time to go.

The club needs to be commended on how they handled this situation. Not rolling over to Collingwood's typical take it or leave it stance was correct, as it would have given a potential top4 club an advantage for no real recompense.

So the Saints end up with nothing in exchange. What has been lost? A player who we all knew had great potential. A player who has been limited in his ability through a cruel injury. A player who lost his passion for his club (and by extension his team mates). A player who played about 50% of game time. Luke the person may be missed but the current player can definitely be replaced.

The saddest part for Luke is that he will more than likely end up playing with Melbourne. They can easily match any deal Collingwood puts on the table.

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st.byron wrote:Good riddance you little prick. What a puffed up little princess he turned out to be. No thanks for the last 8 years from me. F*** off and may you not succeed wherever you end up.
Now thats a sensible post as you obviously have all the facts. We knew he wanted to leave and we chose not to let him go. i dont think that now he is leaving it is any surprise at all.
I don't believe that bolded statement is accurate.

We allowed him to go to Collingwood - THEY were unable to offer us what we wanted/needed to complete the trade.

How is that us 'choosing not to let him leave'?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

On the Bench wrote:Good bye and good luck to Luke Ball, once he had lost the passion to play with the Saints, it really was time to go.

The club needs to be commended on how they handled this situation. Not rolling over to Collingwood's typical take it or leave it stance was correct, as it would have given a potential top4 club an advantage for no real recompense.

So the Saints end up with nothing in exchange. What has been lost? A player who we all knew had great potential. A player who has been limited in his ability through a cruel injury. A player who lost his passion for his club (and by extension his team mates). A player who played about 50% of game time. Luke the person may be missed but the current player can definitely be replaced.

The saddest part for Luke is that he will more than likely end up playing with Melbourne. They can easily match any deal Collingwood puts on the table.
If he goes to the pies and my guess is he will get there than we have lost out. If he doesnt get there and doesnt end up in a top 6 side we have not lost out.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Cool ‘hand me the money’ Luke Ball.

Good riddance... classic case of Luke confusing his ability with his performance.
Couldn’t kick over a jam tin and couldn’t run out of sight on a dark night. Plenty of ticker and hard work but there is more required in today’s game.

Over paid and underperformed for the last two years and now he runs and chases the money when the remuneration will finally commensurate performance. Better hope the money isn’t strapped to anyone with an ounce of pace as he won’t catch them.

I hope he goes to Collingwood the home of mercenaries and plods around their midfield like a draught horse soaking up their salary cap.

BTW, how did St Kilda refusing to trade ball to the filth become the mantra for every scum journo and free agency hawker to refer to as the test case? Why the flowering hell should we gift wrap him to Collingwood? They after all did not want him badly enough to offer up any reasonable trade.

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out Luke, but you’ll need to move a hell of a lot quicker than you did on the field if you don’t want it to happen.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Ball leaving St kilda defies logic.

So I threw logic out the window too, placed a ball against the club walls at Moorabbin - pumped it up to make it look as big as possible using a Connor's pump and concluded the club is bigger than the individual.

Much bigger.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
On the Bench wrote:Good bye and good luck to Luke Ball, once he had lost the passion to play with the Saints, it really was time to go.

If he goes to the pies and my guess is he will get there than we have lost out. If he doesnt get there and doesnt end up in a top 6 side we have not lost out.
You guesses are usually spot on, so we have lost out then