nothing to show

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintlee
Club Player

Moccha wrote:It will be interesting to see Armitage go head to head with Ball. I think he'll acquit himself very well. They're about the same speed, as hard although Armo is a longer kick and can kick a goal which was Balls major issue.
But Armo is nowhere near consistant enough.....yet...

I think we have yet to see the best of Armo, Luke on the other hand....well he can't run and he can't kick....the OP really hurt him

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The club are actually able to make mistakes and people are actually able to say they did poorly out of it. No onw wanted Goose so no error there but if Bally ends up at the pies and yes it is hindsight if that happens but to not get pick 25 when we wanted 21 would be an error on the clubs behalf.

I am sorry if this upsets people who think the club can do no wrong but if someone said to you 10 weeks ago in the same season you will lose Bally, goose and X for pick 60 everyone on here would be using that great word, troll.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The club are actually able to make mistakes and people are actually able to say they did poorly out of it. No onw wanted Goose so no error there but if Bally ends up at the pies and yes it is hindsight if that happens but to not get pick 25 when we wanted 21 would be an error on the clubs behalf.

I am sorry if this upsets people who think the club can do no wrong but if someone said to you 10 weeks ago in the same season you will lose Bally, goose and X for pick 60 everyone on here would be using that great word, troll.

All things being equal though I agreed with the clubs hard stance regarding the trade....

Even in hindsight it looks stupid, we knew what the risks were - I would have made the same decision one hundred times over.

Junior
Club Player

The club wanted Everitt, to get him the Bulldogs wanted pick 21 not 25. I agree with the clubs stance on Ball. The Ball deal was doomed the minute Collingwood started chasing Jolly.

I am angered about X as pick 60 is just a joke.

Goose is finished as a quality league player, would of liked something in return but the reality is that a guy that has played as little as him over the last few years at the top level has no currency.

Not happy losing all three for pick 60 but happy to back the club on 2 out of the three cases.

If we are reralistic we have lost two players who have huge question marks over the ability of their bodies to stand up at senior level and one player who is as tough and brave as they come but cannot kick over a jam tin and has lost any pace he once had, and has a disposal efficiency of only 68%.

I reckon Ross Lyon and his team have built up enough points over the last few years to show that they trade fairly, Collingwood do not. Ball is gone and we have received nothing but this is a better option as being a push over.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
oneteam
Club Player

"If we are reralistic we have lost two players who have huge question marks over the ability of their bodies to stand up at senior level and one player who is as tough and brave as they come but cannot kick over a jam tin and has lost any pace he once had, and has a disposal efficiency of only 68%."

Correct.

And we are trying to win a flag, not rebuild. So the issues in trading are different.

A key issue is salary cap. We are at basically 100%.

Losing Ball, Goose and X ( all unlikely to play in finals for us in 2010), frees up spots to draft and to pay for Peake and Lovett.

Also, trading Ball to a club like melbourne or ricmond for pick 21, (or 25 or 26), is far different in a competitive approach to that swap with a top 4 side like the Pies. Give aid and comfort to the enemy - I think not. The club is smarter than that.

things in trading are not as simple as saying " we got pick 60 for those 3 players".

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

gosainters66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
gosainters66 wrote:bombers wanted MM
Can you show us the source where the Saints were offered anything for Goose during Trade Week?

Absolutely nothing discussed on here or in the press about a possible trade and any offer.

if you want a source you might as well not be on this forum because most of every thing we talk about is heard via the media , realistically its only hear say , so if you want facts ring the club and see if they tell you every thing that happens in trade week , i dont think you will get very far
burden of proof is on you pal - you made the statement. Not up top me to verify your blatherings :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:I don't know where people get this pick 25 (not 26) from. Collingwood's first pick is #30. I don't go for the story that Collingwood were going to trade with Nth Melb for it. THEY DIDN'T, therefore they DIDN'T HAVE IT TO TRADE WITH !!
Didn't Lyon say directly after the Trade period, just after 2pm that 'Pick 25 & 62 were on the table, but that wouldn't get the deal done' :shock:

This must mean that the Kangas were going to accept Wellingham and 30 for 25. But the W Bulldogs wanted 21 for Everitt

At the time I thought no way 25 was enough for Ball (I wanted Beams or Sidebottom) now.......... :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
HarveysDeciple

It's a matter of principle.

You can't develop a reputation of being a trade week pushover by exepting something lower then what you think your player is worth.

St.Kilda made it clear what they wanted from the Pies, and the Pies couldn't deliver, instead offering peanuts like they always do.

We stood our ground, we were in a position where we could only deal with one club (a bad club to deal with) and did the best we could, and stood our ground.

Sometimes you've got to be prepared to lose the player for nothing rather then let another club bend you over.

Milton66
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:The club are actually able to make mistakes and people are actually able to say they did poorly out of it. No onw wanted Goose so no error there but if Bally ends up at the pies and yes it is hindsight if that happens but to not get pick 25 when we wanted 21 would be an error on the clubs behalf.

This is where your better judgement gets clouded, cuz.

You are arguing 2 different issues here.

Supporting the clubs decision to negotiate firmly to protect it's interests is one thing.

Supporting the club if and when Luke gets to Collingwood, and with the benefit of hindsight is something else.

Please show me where people are saying that the club did the right thing to give him away for free.

We of the club can do no wrong crowd have argued against people lying the blame at the club based on a lack of facts.

Only Mr Magic has had the clarity and objectivity to analyse the whole saga.

You just seem to be reactive against anyone who is upset at Ball going.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:It's a matter of principle.

You can't develop a reputation of being a trade week pushover by exepting something lower then what you think your player is worth.

St.Kilda made it clear what they wanted from the Pies, and the Pies couldn't deliver, instead offering peanuts like they always do.

We stood our ground, we were in a position where we could only deal with one club (a bad club to deal with) and did the best we could, and stood our ground.

Sometimes you've got to be prepared to lose the player for nothing rather then let another club bend you over.
Even if they get the player for nothing. Principles are nice but pick 25 would ne nicer especially if the pies still get him.

saintlee
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Even if they get the player for nothing. Principles are nice but pick 25 would ne nicer especially if the pies still get him.
As I understand it, the pies never offered us pick 25....their highest pick is 30 (or close to it)

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

HEAR bloody HEAR.

We had a choice. Stand by our principles, or get bent over, tug our forelock, bow down to Collingwood and take any list clogger and s.hiteful draft choice they wanted to throw at us.

As spinner said - even in hindsight and the fact that Collingwood may still get him, I would back the club 100% on the decision every single time.

Good work RL and the club.

Stand by your principles and you will always have my respect.

respect. Something you dont get by looking like a desperate hopeless club, willing to take anything.

Might want to explain principle to your collegue Matt Thompson HD.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Dont have the pleasure of hindsight at the time of making the decision....

IMO the club did the right thing in that instance.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Gee i would have taken pick 25 and Sharrod Wellingham for Luke Ball any day Bally ain't gonna get any better :roll:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

As I understand it, the pies never offered us pick 25....their highest pick is 30 (or close to it)
Never ever offered pick 25 pick 26 or any other pick in the 20's. Against the rules to offer other clubs picks :roll:

Only pick they had was pick 30 and some crap list clogger. We dont pay a list clogger $150k and are a bit freer to draft someone else.

remember how all the Collingwood fans laughed at Port picking up Josh Mahony after the Stevens non trade???

Remember Josh Manony? THE PORT ADELAIDE PREMIERSHIP PLAYER.

Just grab anything hey? Look like desperate losers and get bent over by Collingwood? Glad you aren't coach and we have someone with some principle.

Lance or James??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:Gee i would have taken pick 25 and Sharrod Wellingham for Luke Ball any day Bally ain't gonna get any better :roll:
Oh FFS. Collingwood didn't have 25 to trade. :roll:

And Sharrod Wellingham is a spud.

Lance or James??

Saints94
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Never ever offered pick 25 pick 26 or any other pick in the 20's. Against the rules to offer other clubs picks :roll:

Only pick they had was pick 30 and some crap list clogger. We dont pay a list clogger $150k and are a bit freer to draft someone else.

remember how all the Collingwood fans laughed at Port picking up Josh Mahony after the Stevens non trade???

Just grab anything hey? Look like desperate losers and get bent over by Collingwood? Glad you aren't coach and we have someone with some principle.
Do you know what list clogger they offered up?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes.

Lance or James??

Saints94
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
Saints94 wrote:Gee i would have taken pick 25 and Sharrod Wellingham for Luke Ball any day Bally ain't gonna get any better :roll:

Yeah they did they were going to get pick 25 from whoever it was, trade that and Sharrod Wellingham for Luke Ball, If was a young star on the up then no deal but he aint gonna get any better.

Saints94
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
Saints94 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Who was that mate?

Yes.
who was that mate?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Yeah they did they were going to get pick 25 from whoever it was, trade that and Sharrod Wellingham for Luke Ball, If was a young star on the up then no deal but he aint gonna get any better.
Who were they going to deal with at 1.00 pm for #26 (not 25 btw)?

Have a look at Collingwoods first dp #30. They NEVER HAD dp 25 TO TRADE.

And Wellingham is a spud and is s.hit and we dont need any more s.hit spuds clogging our list.

We wanted Everitt who is a much better player than the s.hitful spud Wellingham but Collingwood wouldn't try to get at least #21 so NO FARKING DEAL.

Are you a bit simple?

Lance or James??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Saints94 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Who was that mate?

Yes.
who was that mate?
Oh piss of cabbage.

Lance or James??

Saints94
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
Saints94 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Who were they going to deal with at 1.00 pm for #26 (not 25 btw)?

Have a look at Collingwoods first dp #30. They NEVER HAD dp 25 TO TRADE.

And Wellingham is a spud and is s.hit and we dont need any more s.hit spuds clogging our list.

We wanted Everitt who is a much better player than the s.hitful spud Wellingham but Collingwood wouldn't try to get at least #21 so NO FARKING DEAL.

Are you a bit simple?
They were going to trade with N.M for pick 25 then on trade it to us for Luke Ball.

saintlee
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Don't know why your having a crack at me JB, I assume you meant that for Plugger66.....I never said we should except anything they throw at us, I was questioning the statement that Collingwood offered us pick 25 for Ball.....

older saint
SS Life Member

Take the emotion out of it, whether you like players or not, bottom line there is no guarantee Maguire will play AFL anywhere next year, Ball made a decision he did not want to play for the StKilda Football Club and the club would not take less compensation especialy to a fellow contender, X seemed like he wanted to move and was happy to do so which with injury history and salary cap issues was probably not a terrible deal.

In return we have picked up Lovett, who chose Stkilda and Less money over other offers, Peake who again chose to come to the club.

Will all the people crying today still be crying if we win a premiership with Lovett and Peake contributing?